Breaking down the Quartering-Away Shot - Your Thoughts?

BaseMap

Every animal is obviously different, but in this article we have broken down the quartering-away shot on a whitetail buck and have provided a cool visual graphic while doing so. Give it a read and share your experiences in the thread.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 2.38.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 2.38.55 PM.png
    824.6 KB · Views: 138

Rich M

WKR
Talking about taking this shot or no shot.
Gonna shoot the line between 3B and 3C. Why - it'll punch ribs and take out the far leg. 3B is a solid thru the lungs and out in front of the far shoulder shot - it won't go far - but I feel better taking the shoulder on this one.

In real life I'm gonna wait for that deer to turn some more to the left to go around the tree behind it and drill it when the angle is better. As I get older, can think back on a bunch of shots I took that would have been better or great shots if waited another 5-10 seconds before pulling trigger. This one would qualify as a be patient grasshopper kind of shot.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never shot a whitetail, but I'd say that at least 60% of my archery shots on elk have been quartering away shots. Each one is different just depends on the angle, but I'm always looking where my exit hole will be.

kravguy

WKR
Some of my shortest track jobs have been steeper quartering away shots. Enter roughly at the last rib amd out behind front shoulder.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

McNadler

FNG
I’m with 5Miles on this one, should always thinking about the opposite side and where the exit would be.

ewade07

WKR
I shot both my elk and mule deer last year with quartering away shots. The line between 3B/C is where it needs to be. Elk at 350 yds went 50 yds before piling up, deer at ~500 yds went 15 yds.

H

Huntkook

I agree if you're going to take that shot, it's on the line of 3b and 3c.

Kilboars

WKR
For 250lb plus boar hogs I shoot them with an extreme quartering away shot aiming for the heart and slipping the arrow behind the shield and ribs. I’ve shot about 5 that way now with all sub 20yd blood trails.
Was thinking of doing the same on a moose this year.

Smart or dumb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Aim for the exit, really simple. have shot over 100 whitetail with a bow, many many many quartered away, my favorite shot!

I remember shooting a doe once, lined the pin up with the opposite front leg and let it ripped, when the arrow entered barely in front of the hip I was shocked, did not realize she was quartered that hard and thought I made a poor shot, she piled up in sight and the exit was in front of her leg!

Coming in behind the rib cage gets crazy penetration, you will not hit anything hard until the arrow crosses the entire cavity!

For 250lb plus boar hogs I shoot them with an extreme quartering away shot aiming for the heart and slipping the arrow behind the shield and ribs. I’ve shot about 5 that way now with all sub 20yd blood trails.
Was thinking of doing the same on a moose this year.

Smart or dumb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be careful on moose as a stomach full of willow browse is like a Morrell range bag target. It could stop or severely slow an arrow on a steep quartering away bow shot. I’d try to stick to more broadside or slightly quartering away.

Yarak

WKR
For me I’d put the bullet exactly on the #2
A neck shot in that spot guarantees no tracking

wapitibob

WKR
That picture is a good example of why "aim for the offside leg" is a bad idea. As the animal rotates from broadside, that offside leg moves back and away from the center of the lungs.