Breaking in New boots

jchal3

FNG
I got my new Crispi boots today, they fit well and feel good when I put them on. I want to take them out and put them through the paces, but im not sure thats the best first step.

Do you guys do any special treatments to your new boots before you take them out in the elements? Like an extra waterproofing, or some coating that makes them easier to clean or something??

Just curious of everyone's opinions

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

EvanG17

FNG
One thing i always did with my new boots was soak them in a tub and wear them around a bit soaking wet. Seemed to help break them in a lot quicker (all leather lineman style boot). Hope this helps

nobody

WKR
Step one: Treat with waterproofing and let dry
Step 2: put on boots
Step 3: go hunt

I've done this with all my crispis and never had issues. Crispi's are the only boots I've never genuinely had a break in routine with, and they're also the only boots that don't actively hurt my feet ever. So what I do seems to work just fine. But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet.

OP
J

jchal3

FNG
Thanks for the insight guys

OP
J

jchal3

FNG
Step one: Treat with waterproofing and let dry
Step 2: put on boots
Step 3: go hunt

I've done this with all my crispis and never had issues. Crispi's are the only boots I've never genuinely had a break in routine with, and they're also the only boots that don't actively hurt my feet ever. So what I do seems to work just fine. But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet.
What waterproofing did you use?

Russ89

FNG
Step 1 from nobody is accurate. Step 2 is replace the insoles. Step 3 is put them on. Step 4: go to the grocery store or errand run a couple times to make sure the insoles are good and there are no unexpected hotspots. Then I proceed to step 5, which is his step 3.

There's no reason to skip step 4, as it only confirms your excellent decision on purchasing and removes any doubt you'll be out there hunting and discover your insoles suck or there's a spot that might rub.

jimh406

WKR
For treatment, I'd follow the manufacturers advice. Some boot "treatments" make the leather softer. That may or may not be what you want. Softer usually means any leather looses durability. Also, treatments can clog the pores if it is goretex or similar effectively turning them into nonbreathable boots.

I agree that for many boots especially all leather that are a bit tight, wetting them and wearing until dry works pretty well. Again though, I'd say follow the manufacturers recommendations, for the most part.

I have used obenaufs or kenetrek on leather boots.

I have used super green insoles for so long I just add them to almost every pair of new boots.

I agree with walking them out a few miles around town before hitting the trail. most boots, especially crispis don’t really need a break in like old school boots, but you don’t want to find out you have a hot spot way out on the trail.

OP
J

jchal3

FNG
Step 1 from nobody is accurate. Step 2 is replace the insoles. Step 3 is put them on. Step 4: go to the grocery store or errand run a couple times to make sure the insoles are good and there are no unexpected hotspots. Then I proceed to step 5, which is his step 3.

There's no reason to skip step 4, as it only confirms your excellent decision on purchasing and removes any doubt you'll be out there hunting and discover your insoles suck or there's a spot that might rub.
Replace the insoles immediately??

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I recommend whatever waterproofing the manufacturer recommends. For my crispi idahos I used crispi’s spray on waterproofing. I also did what other did, I wore it around for a couple of weeks everywhere before I took them off-road. I really never noticed a break in period nor did I feel I need to change out the insoles.

Russ89

FNG
Replace the insoles immediately??

Yes. The foam ones in my crispis are definitely inferior to the Sole and Superfeet I use in everything else I wear except running shoes.

Mosby

WKR
I use Kennetrek boot wax on my leather boots. I just bought some Obenauf's to try and it looks and feels identical, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it.

S.Clancy

WKR
With really stiff boots, I do a lot of vertical for the first few weeks. I just broke in some new Scarpas, I prob had 20-25K vertical in them before the felt really good.

OP
J

jchal3

FNG
This is all great information guys. Thanks a lot.

With really stiff boots, I do a lot of vertical for the first few weeks. I just broke in some new Scarpas, I prob had 20-25K vertical in them before the felt really good.
Your feet must be made of iron... I get where you're coming from, but that much vertical right away ususally doesn't bode well for my feet.

S.Clancy

WKR
Your feet must be made of iron... I get where you're coming from, but that much vertical right away ususally doesn't bode well for my feet.
Yea, it works for me. I'd rather be 1400ft and .75 miles from the car then 8 miles deep when breaking in boots and possible tearing my feet up. Steep is usually where fit is really highlighted so I just jump in the deep end.

Rocsteel

FNG
One thing i always did with my new boots was soak them in a tub and wear them around a bit soaking wet. Seemed to help break them in a lot quicker (all leather lineman style boot). Hope this helps
This works like a charm.

nobody

WKR
What waterproofing did you use?

Depends on what the boot manufacturer recommends. Crispi recommends any synthetic waterproofing treatment, I use the one with their name on it.