Breaking in New boots

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only hunting boots I've ever treated are my Sorels. Every other leather boot over the last 40 years I've left them as is. Going on year 10 this year with my current Zamberlans, but they'll be getting resoled after this season. For breaking them in, I just wear them and go. The more miles you put on them, the better they get. But I do put Superfeet Orange insoles in them immediately. I even wear those in my golf and dress shoes.

I like to do short, steep and frequent hikes until my feet get used to a pair of boots.I typically don’t mess with treating them, but I will often change insoles. I’m prone to wrecking my heels on inclines, so I like to avoid being way back in there until I’m pretty sure I am not going to have too much heel slippage on a new pair of boots. I tape up my feet and try to keep them dry, liner socks weren’t my thing. It turns out that super stiff boots and I just don’t get along most of the time.

R_W

FNG
I treat the boots with kennetrek boot wax and go hike in them. I like for the first couple of miles to be flat before I go for the steep stuff.