Breaking in some new gear

It was a gorgeous spring day here yesterday so I decided to take the opportunity to seam seal my Megatarp. Thought I'd snap a few pictures to give you guys some more idea of the size.

I put a sleeping bag between the two trekking poles -- I'm 5'8" and I can lay between the poles and I still can't touch either pole with my arms extended above my head. I can also sit up between the pole and the front of the Megatarp -- this would be plenty of space for a pack and some gear.

Also played around with my new sleeping bag. I'm a fairly restless sleeper and I toss and turn from side to back to belly all the time. I slept in a Western Moutaineering Highlite last year and it was way too constrictive. I purchased an Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt this year and also a Heart Mountain Sleeping Bag from Big Agnes. The Heart Mountain is what I played around yesterday, as I wanted to see if the integrated pad sleeve would provide a nice stable platform to toss and turn and how much space the footbox offered as it is not a traditional mummy cut. Instead, the cut is a little wider. Here's a pic sleeping in the fetal position. Again, I'm not the biggest of guys, but I had plenty of space to sleep like this. I think this is going to be the go-to sleeping bag this year.

Is it September yet??

Manosteel

WKR
Thanks for the pics. We are still under at least 3 feet of snow! I can't wait until the snow softens up enough for me to dig to the grass and set up some shelters I'll be trying out this year.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm really thinking about getting one of those MegaTarps. They have tons of room! I think it would be awesome for two guys.