Breaking in your new boots

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What is the "proper" way to break in your new boots? I've returned my Hanwang's (size 12.5)because of blistering after two 1 mile walks. Before that I had a pair of Kennetrk extremes and blistered up on the 2nd day of hunting(size 13). The only time I don't blister up is with a pair that is to small for me (size 12) which I loved my kennetreks in that size but I love my big toe nail more:). I'm currently on the lowa's size 12.5 and literally taking mini walks around the house and neighborhood. The research i've done suggest what I'm doing is right. I just don't want to be on my hunting trip and blistered upped again. (All blisters are on the back of the heel)
It should be noted that the size 12 kennetreks I didn't break in and really liked them. The size 13 I didn't break in (btw I have the size 13 for sale if anybody is interested. Less then 40 miles on them). Oh and i'm not going to spend $850.00 at lathrop and sons so that is not an option. I am using foot inserts as well.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a narrow foot by nature? Any blistering/ hot spots on your heels in running work or dress shoes? The heel pocket is not something that you can break in and mold to your foot unfortunately. I used to fit mountaineering/ski boots for a living and one of the things we always asked is how the heel felt when the customer tried on the boot. You almost want the heel pocket pinching your heel. Boots get bigger, they dont get smaller. The achilles needs to be locked into the back of the boot before you even buy them. Stay away from thick socks, they bunch inside a properly fit boot and can cause discomfort and pressure points. I recommend against buying boots without trying them on because they are your most valuable piece of gear. If your feet arent happy, nothing is happy. Ill take a pair of handmade Italian boots a shitty backpack and obsolete archery equipment over a pair of Chinese made boots, high quality pack and next years bow.

OP
outdoor hunter

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
asking $250 for my size 13 kennetreks.

I haven't had any blistering in my work or dress shoes before let alone tennis shoes

If you can hike and run in normal size running and hiking shoes with no issues and are only having this problem with the mentioned boots you could do a few things. First off if the rest of the boot seems to fit well and you like it I recommend trying a liner sock under a normal medium thick wool sock. For heal slippage blister prevention and blisters in general this works ALOT of the time. If you generally dont care for the boot you could just use a different style boot that doesnt require a break in such as a Salomon quest 4d or ultra mid that are more like running shoes but with good ankle and descent sole support (4d being more supportive). If you are set on a more heavy duty stiff type boot than getting fitted in person as was previously mentioned is a good idea as well.

duchntr

WKR
I just wear them till they are worn in...In the army it was common practice to saturate new boots with water and walk them dry, The same thing happens when wearing my boots on a hunting trip they get wet then you use them until they get dry or not but either way my boots fit my feet well afterward and seem to break in faster not sure if thats true or not.

Sounds to me though you just need to find a boot that doesn't slip around on you i.e. a narrow heeled boot or toughen up your feet or both

KMT

WKR
I don't do anything special to break boots in. I just wear them. If you're getting blisters after a mile, you are wearing the wrong boots. Don't worry about brand. Instead, look for a proper fit.

Boots are not completely broken in until you do some climbing on uneven ground (as you would in the backcountry) so while wearing them is a great start, some day treks before a prolonged outing is always wise. The strains you put on your boots in the field are different from those you put on em just walking around. I hike 2-5 miles a day wearing a pack in hilly areas to break in my boots and get my broken ole body used to the abuse.