Breaking the epoxy bond

vcb

WKR
Hey I want to cut down some of my arrows but already have a insert glued in with epoxy. I want to cut them where the insert is. Can I use a heat gun and break the bond of the epoxy to pull the inserts out? I do this all the time to change shafts on my golf driver. Anybody have experience with that? Or am I going to mess up the carbon injextion shaft with heat???

Try taking out nock and dropping an appropriate size drill bit down there. Put nock back on and swing down against insert. May take a few try's but will pop it out. I just did this same thing with a few of my wifes arrows last week.

OR Archer

WKR
you are better off to strip the fletchings and cut from the nock end then refletch. much less chance of damaging the shaft from heat.

How much you cutting off?

If your cutting em behind the insert, you can burn the shaft off after cutting.

Depending on what you used, it can take a LOT of heat to loosen up an insert. Sometimes more than the shaft can handle.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
you are better off to strip the fletchings and cut from the nock end then refletch. much less chance of damaging the shaft from heat.
Well that sounds like a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that. It dosent change the spine/ flex right? With a golf shaft butt trimming vs. tip trim would change the flex/kick..

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Well that sounds like a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that. It dosent change the spine/ flex right? With a golf shaft butt trimming vs. tip trim would change the flex/kick..
With a shaft like the injexion/axis or fmj where they aren't "weight forward" or anything I don't see why or how it would effect it in any way. I have done it several times to my axis shafts in the past and never noticed a difference whether cutting it from the front or back...

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
If you cut the arrow shorter, you increase spine, it will change. And do try the drill bit method, usually works well. You may have to swing for a while, but it will likely work. Lots of heat on a carbon shaft is a no-no.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I guess I should have specified, if you cut the shaft shorter it will stiffen up the arrow but I meant it won't make a difference whether it be cut from the front or back... I would think as long as you didn't cut them too short and you have already looked at the arrow charts to be sure you won't make them too stiff depending on how short you cut them you would be fine

Tilzbow

WKR
Try the drill bit method described in the second post above first. It's never failed me and is so quick you'll be shocked. Just be careful and don't swing too hard once the insert breaks free. The insert and drill bit can be dangerous if they co e flying out of the front of the arrow. Also do it outside where nothing can get damaged.

Why refletch when it's probably unecessary?

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Ok cool. Yeah I want to cut them shorter to get as stiff a spine as I can. The 330's on my program are a little weak at my dl so I wanted to shorten them up as much as I could.

Hey guys have any of you guys tried what I do. You put a field point I and heat the point with a little torch then the heat transfers to the glue and usually come right out. Works for me might give it a try save having to refletch