Breaks, Breaks, CA, Apa, Area 419 Timing/ effects.

So I have 2 rifles with Apa little bastards.
They are semi difficult to time as they move when you tighten them. But they seem to be a very effective brake without much blast to my face.

Bought the wife a CA Traverse for Christmas and it came with the 4 port side baffle.

#1 can I fit/time this brake my simply removing material from the rear on a flat surface?
I want to get away from using a crush washer as I will be swapping back and forth a suppressor.

#2 i have an ultra 7 Direct thread that and another Rok thread has me all freaked out will work loose and am considering having it rebuilt to CB brake mount.

#3 Then I got told bout the Area 419 Hellfire system and am considering swapping everything to that. Much easier to swap stuff around.

#4 is the Hellfire 2p really the best choice for a 20" hunting rifle.
I see the ports are 5 degree instead of 15 so less blast to the face. But ill never let my wife that can actually hear still touch it off without ear pro anyways.
And she will probably hunt suppressed.

Aren't more ports better.

Lawnboi

WKR
I can’t answer all your questions but can comment on a few

1: to a degree you can, if it’s close already. I can’t remember what is recommended but as you shave more off the possibility of the brake not being shaved down evenly increases. Do you have the rifle and brake in hand? A smith may be able to properly time it.

2: The can is going on a hunting rifle. I have all direct thread cans currently on bolt guns and have a lot of shot them quite a bit. If your threads are good and your vigilant I don’t think I your going to have a problem, I havnt atleast. In fact if all I had was 5/8 threaded barrels I’d only buy direct thread to not waste money on mounts. I’m paranoid about the cans loosening and check every so often but havnt found a problem, even shooting 100+ shots in a pdog town, though I checked, my fan didn’t come loose in the slightest.

3: The only reason I’d consider this is different threads on my rifles or if you like the hellfire brake. I see no point to it on my personal rifles and it’s just more crap I’d need to buy and more tolerances to stack.

4: All brakes with angled ports are going to have some blast. The little bastard I think is one of the worst offenders. I had a hellfire and a hellfire match, along with an APA and Hawkins. They are all loud as shit. They all have some to a lot of blast and if I’m shooting any of them I have to double up ear pro regardless. The Hawkins is the only brake Iv used that I noticed a difference at the shooter with. I’d let your lady decide what she wants on the end of her rifle, if she’s anything like my wife she will be keeping the suppressor.

The easiest answer for if your wanting to swap suppressor to brake is to have one perfectly timed or buy the Hawkins self timer. APA nuts are a pain in the ass, and area 419 collars are not far behind. Once you set the Hawkins it’s done, screws on and off like a timed solid brake.

Considering this is your wife rifle I’d try the rifle with the supplied brake, followed by a suppressor and let her decide the direction she wants to go. Maybe another can is in your future!

ID_Matt

WKR
I am in a semi similar situation to you. Just put a tbac ultra 5 CB in jail and also have a sico omega. I already have 2 area 419 hellfire brakes so it just makes sense to me to convert the suppressor's to that system. I have used the APA brakes before in PRS matches and do think they do a great job of reducing recoil but they are terrible for blast to the face compared to the 419's. The new hellfire match is designed to reduce that and I think it does a good job of it so I would opt for that over the 2p. If you are wanting to switch brakes and suppressor around, I think I would go the hellfire route. The brake is a bit heavy compared to some of the titanium options like the Salmon River guy's on here but the modularity you'll get will probably offset that.

I have the original hellfire on a 300wm and use the 419 adapter system for a ultra 7 cb on a couple rifles. If I had a do over i'd go direct thread and not buy a hellfire brake.

You have to clean the carbon off the brake/adapter frequently or it does not like to come off. I also get twisted sometimes trying to remember what is threaded in which direction when trying to swap the can around and end up wondering if i'm just cranking something tighter rather than trying to break it loose. These are issues with remedies but its just more shit to keep track of that doesn't apply to direct thread or a standard self timing brake.

I have a couple APA gen 2/3 brakes and don't find the hellfire notably easier to self time than them.

In regards mo ports mo better - My general understanding is the rear facing port surface area and angle rearward are the main contributors to amount of recoil reduction. Easier to get more surface area with more ports. I believe the further from chamber ports see less gas volume though so likely have less impact.

Last edited:
OP
BRTreedogs
I'll do some digging on the hawkins.
The way it self time looks awesome and I love that the thought of a way to use a hex so you don't mar it with a Cresent.

I don't think the LB has bad blast but I've only ever shot it with double ear pro being already around 30% loss i don't mess around.
I really should just switch to suppressed all the time.

Guess idk for sure but id expect the barrel threads on these 3 rifle to be good. 2 are Rbros and I wouldn't expect problem with the CA

You did bring up a good point the CA crush washer is large. But id probably rather buy another self timer vs paying a Smith to time it but that would be a good option.

OP
BRTreedogs
For some reason I've been very resistant to even using my suppressor.
Made the mistake of ordering from a small dealer so by the time I got it I wasn't even pumped.
My RBros hammer so hard with the apa im scared to even touch a thing. But I should really quit worrying about breaks and just shoot suppressed.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
1- yes you can depending how much you take off you'll need and extremely flat surface and sandpaper. that brake is a good one.

2- not sure of the question

3- Area 419 makes good stuff. no personal experience with this particular system but I doubt it is a bad option

4-I would shy away from a 2 port brake personally. they are big ports though!.

I think this is part of question 4 but not sure- more ports aren't necessarily better. Nathan from MBM has some good videos out testing this theory. its more about how much gas is being captured.

My daughter has the 419 hellfire 2 port on her 20” Tikka compact. Im not sure its the best option but it works well

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daughter has the 419 hellfire 2 port on her 20” Tikka compact. Im not sure its the best option but it works well
What Caliber?
I could be wrong but larger ports typically means less efficient. someone please correct me if I am wrong

My son uses the Area 419 2 piece self timing break on his 338 edge and it works very well.