Breathable goretex bivvys?

JustCarr

FNG
Any one ever find a breathable goretex bivvy that doesn't condensate?

We used them in the army and never had any issues with condensation. Bought a civilian one and it sweats like crazy.

Any ideas?

I sweat like crazy in the mil one.

I think you need to get the contact from the bivy away from your bag or quilt like in a small shelter. If just trying to keep bag dry, try treating with a DWR stuff like nikwax. My quilt is treated and it sheds water like a duck.

The uSCWCS one is fine but weighs 2#.

I have tried several. My favorite is the bora bivy. Several threads about them here. Custom made. Quick turn around. I have a half dozen trips in mine from truck camping to some decent rain. I like it.

My Borah Gear SnowySide bivy is made of eVent and doesn’t have condensation. Might look into it if you don’t find what you’re looking for in goretex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I dont care what anyone says, "breathable" and Gore-Tex do not go hand in hand. It's all about marketing. Gore-Tex is a waterproof, semi-permeable membrane. They use "breathable" in place of semi-permeable for marketing purposes. Until there's a fabric that is both waterproof that can also transfer sweat/water vapor, etc. as fast or faster than the person wearing the garment or is inside a shelter made of the material, there will always be a build-up and surplus of sweat and/or condensation, and you're still going to have to have adequate ventilation in a bivy made form Gore-Tex.

Poser

WKR
Goretex is Goretex. It’s not more breathable slapping it on one band vs another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRMiller

WKR
I,ve used the SOL Escape bivy for almost a year now and am very happy. This is the Escape, $60.
It does indeed “breath” out moisture but won’t breath out water.
In other words if you go in dry it will breath out you’re own moisture. But if you go in wet, like damp clothes, it can’t breath it out fast enough.
Its only 8oz and is pretty durable.
my only complaint is it only comes in a right zipper