Breech Plug help?

I have a new Knight Ultra-lite and I am getting ready for first range day. I bought a new Lehigh Breech plug from SKS firearms and can’t get Teflon tape to work. Even a single wrap strips the Teflon off the threads and won’t allow me to seat the plug all the way.

I want to do a load work-up and will then send the barrel/action to Bestill for the new breach plug system. Any thoughts and/suggestions?

Which Powder do you plan to shoot? If BH then you really do not need much protection. I would put just abit of grease on the threads.

OK back to the Lehigh plug... I have never seen or had one that would not seat with Teflon wrapped.

I assume you are only using 1 wrap of tape... maybe this pic might show what I mean.

This pic shows a wrapped plug

3-Wrapped-Tapped.jpg

Make sure to squeeze the tape down into the threads

Squeeze_the_tape_in_the_threads.jpg

This tries to explain what I do.

Wrapping_a_Plug.jpg

It is really important the internal threads in the breech be cleaned. If a piece of carbon is lodged in the threads it will tear the tape and cause it to back up and build up.

OP
U
The rifle has never been shot and the threads are clean. I don’t have this issue with my Disc Extreme and have used Teflon for a few years. I am using a single wrap of white Teflon on just the front part of the threads. I will be using BH 209. If I overlap past the threads it gumbos up instantly.

OP
U
thanks for the help. I will just use the grease. Do you think I will see much/any velocity differences with the Bestill breach plug?

OP
U
I have shot muzzleloader for years but I am just switching to a .45 with the re-sizing bullets. I really feel like a novice in some aspects. My Disc extreme is .50 and I shoot a full bore conical at 1400-1500 FPS. Just wanted to try something new.

thanks for the help. I will just use the grease. Do you think I will see much/any velocity differences with the Bestill breach plug?
It is possible to see a slight increase in velocity with the BESTILL plug because the will not be any pressure lost to blow back through the breech plug and out into the breech. You can shim your primer pocket in the BP with shims and accomplish the same thing.

This thread will show you what I am indicating

I have shot muzzleloader for years but I am just switching to a .45 with the re-sizing bullets. I really feel like a novice in some aspects. My Disc extreme is .50 and I shoot a full bore conical at 1400-1500 FPS. Just wanted to try something new.
Might check this out unless you have to shoot full bore lead.

Hope this comes up for you...

OP
U
Thank you for the link. I will post up the results from first range day tomorrow.

Button

WKR
Make sure Teflon is wrapped on the threads in the correct direction. Or else it will ball up as you thread in the plug.

OP
U
I was able to get a single wrap onto the plug and it worked well. I am still going to go with a Bestill plug in the next month. I am just working up loads for the new rifle now.

OP
U
I wrapped it the right direction…It’s just a very tight fit. Completely different than my Disc Extreme. Thanks again for the help. It’s shooting very well.