Brief Kuiu Kuntana Pant Review

Just wanted to provide a quick review of the Kuiu Katana pants. So far this season I've worn these pants on three hunts in AZ: one black bear hunt and two Coues whitetail hunts.

They worked well in all activities performed which include long periods of glassing as well as climbing mountains. They've handled temperatures from about 30* to the mid 90s just fine. With the exception of cholla, I've not gone out of my way to avoid anything while wearing them. After 11 days of hard use, they are not showing any signs of wear. This is in stark contrast to the Attacks which looked like Velcro after a single day of use on a desert bighorn sheep hunt.

My biggest surprise with these pants is their wind resistance. A couple of times this past weekend we were glassing in the low 40s with 15-25 fps winds for extended periods of time. My legs never got cold and I never felt the wind (once I closed the hip vents after the climb to our glassing spot).

Thanks for the review. I'm looking at picking a pair of these up before scouting season

ChrisAU

WKR
Huge, huge fan of the Kutanas. I have two pair and have beat them up this year and they look brand new. My philosophy with pants is to have as light of an outer layer as possible while still maintaining durability, and to layer inward for warmth. These are by far the best for that use that I have found, and I'm a big FL fan boy. Also tried the SKRE Uintas for the same thing but they fit a little slimmer than the Kuiu's.

Moserkr

WKR
Kutana definitely perform better than the attacks. Got 3 years of hard use in the high sierras granite with my attacks. Kutanas stay a lot cooler, are way tougher, and just as quiet.

DEJaca

FNG
Do the Kutanas fit like the Attacks? I have heard that the thighs are tighter on the Kutanas. That is the only thing keeping me from trying a pair. Love the fit of the Attacks.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Moserkr

WKR
Do the Kutanas fit like the Attacks? I have heard that the thighs are tighter on the Kutanas. That is the only thing keeping me from trying a pair. Love the fit of the Attacks.

Thanks

Attacks have more stretch and therefore do feel looser on the thighs. Kutana also have 1” less fabric when laid out on top of the attacks. So yes, they would absolutely be tighter in the thighs. My kutanas took a few weeks to stretch out after i bought em. I will give the comfort factor to the attacks hands down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 27
My attacks are a little roomier than the Kutanas.

Kutana is tougher, more water resistant, dries quicker, doesn't stink as quick. Attacks are a little quieter and softer feeling. Both great pants! I have a pair of solid kutanas that get put on for casual wear basically every weekend. Love em.

Last edited:
Just wanted to provide a quick review of the Kuiu Katana pants. So far this season I've worn these pants on three hunts in AZ: one black bear hunt and two Coues whitetail hunts.

They worked well in all activities performed which include long periods of glassing as well as climbing mountains. They've handled temperatures from about 30* to the mid 90s just fine. With the exception of cholla, I've not gone out of my way to avoid anything while wearing them. After 11 days of hard use, they are not showing any signs of wear. This is in stark contrast to the Attacks which looked like Velcro after a single day of use on a desert bighorn sheep hunt.

My biggest surprise with these pants is their wind resistance. A couple of times this past weekend we were glassing in the low 40s with 15-25 fps winds for extended periods of time. My legs never got cold and I never felt the wind (once I closed the hip vents after the climb to our glassing spot).
Are they heavy?

DEJaca

FNG
Thanks for the info guys. May have to order some on Black Friday sale.

Have a pair of Attacks and Kutanas. I wear a 32/33 in jeans but 32s were too small for me. I wear a 34 in both and it gives me room for a baselayer. Kutanas are slightly snugger than the Attacks. Attacks are a a bit warmer. Kutanas seem to breathe better and dry quicker. Ive put the Attacks through the ringer and there is plenty of piling but surprisingly no holes or tears. They both have their place, love em!