Bring 2 packs or 1?

Going for an 8 day pack in hunt in CO in mid Oct. Looking at maybe a 7 mile hike in and set up basecamp then hunt out of there. Before I put this out there, yes I am using Badlands and yes I will have a Kifaru by next spring. Work with what ya got right. Planning on using the 4500 to pack in but it's bulky for day hunt trips. Am I crazy to strap my 2200 or Superday to the outside of the 4500 so I have a day pack or should I just suck it up and use the 4500 for everything. I love the 2200 for day hikes. Also thinking if I get a deer I can use the 2200 as a meat pack and leapfrog the packs on the way out.

I can't wait to order a Kifaru and not have this issue but this year it was a new rifle.

Thanks for the ideas....

Arin

Personal preference for me would be to use just the 4500. Less weight, less volume, and one less thing to strap to the pack, all around a more streamlined setup.
I don't know about yours, but if I remember right my 2200 weighed around 6lbs!

I have two friends that i backpack hunt with that still use the 4500. They both just compress the 4500 and use it as a day pack. Remember you also have the option of using the top lid-fanny pack for short hunts near base camp. I just struggled with the same thing on my Stone Glacier Solo. My Kifaru E&E clips right on the back of the Stone Glacier. But with the Xray straps it would add 1 pound 5 oz more weight. I decided to just compress my SG down and use it as a day pack.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I think its crazy to day hunt with a pack that can't haul meat. I say that because a few of my partners do it., and I'm the one that gets to carry an extra load because their first trip back is w/o meat to get a pack frame.

I know the 2200 will haul meat okay, but I wouldn't carry an extra 6# pack just to have something a little more compact to day hunt with. Just cinch down that 4500.

Manosteel

WKR
Just use the 4500 and compress it down for day use. My son used a 4500 on a recent scouting trip with me and it did fine compressed down for day use.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely, just take one pack and compress it down and use it as a day pack, even if it is a heavier than a normal day pack. In my opinion, the hike in and the hike out (or multiple hikes out if you are successful) will probably be the most difficult part of your hunt. You will likely not notice a the additional weight of a heavier pack when you leave most of the weight behind at your base camp.

slim9300

WKR
That's kind of a tough decision. Your dilemma is exactly why I bought my first Kifaru Timberline 1 a few years back. It was the best decision I have ever made when it comes to hunting gear. You will love your future Kifaru. :)

I would probably just take the 4500 and find a way to compress it as small as possible.

slim9300

WKR
Personal preference for me would be to use just the 4500. Less weight, less volume, and one less thing to strap to the pack, all around a more streamlined setup.
I don't know about yours, but if I remember right my 2200 weighed around 6lbs!

Yep. Mine was 5.5 lbs. on the dot.

Or go to Big5 or Wallmart & get the "Ridgeline Glenwood Canyon" daypack for about $25. It weighs about 2.5 lbs. & you can fit a boned out muley in it. I put water bottles, lunch & raingear in mine & lashed it to the front of my 4500 over my rifle with bungy cord until I got my Kifaru.