Bring an ATV or leave it at home?

Debating on bringing my atv this year to Co for OTC archery season. Leaving this weekend and hunting through the 16th. Caveat is, I’m coming from Florida and it would have to be trailered. No room for coolers, gear, extras, and a 4wheeler in the bed of my Tacoma. And do they have to stay on trails at all times via roads or atv trails or can you cross country off trail to go where you want to go in a certain unit?

Is it absolutely worth the hassle of hauling a trailer 2000 x2 and the the mpg’s it would kill? I hunted in 75/751 last year and did not bring one but was weighing my options this year.

WTFJohn

WKR
Debating on bringing my atv this year to Co for OTC archery season. Leaving this weekend and hunting through the 16th. Caveat is, I’m coming from Florida and it would have to be trailered. No room for coolers, gear, extras, and a 4wheeler in the bed of my Tacoma. And do they have to stay on trails at all times via roads or atv trails or can you cross country off trail to go where you want to go in a certain unit?

Is it absolutely worth the hassle of hauling a trailer 2000 x2 and the the mpg’s it would kill? I hunted in 75/751 last year and did not bring one but was weighing my options this year.

You must stay on designated roads and trails while recreating on public lands, as established in the Motor Vehicle Use Maps provided by the Forest Service that administers the lands where you'll be hunting.

If you knew you were using the ATV to get up a hard-to-access trail, maybe it would be worth it. On a whim, with the mpg & gear penalties it incurs? I'd skip it and use the two quads on the front of your legs.

If you knew you were using the ATV to get up a hard-to-access trail, maybe it would be worth it. On a whim, with the mpg & gear penalties it incurs? I'd skip it and use the two quads on the front of your legs.

That’s what I was going to say. The areas we hunted wound have almost no advantage to having an ATV. It would maybe save a 15 minute walk. There are places where it is more advantageous, but if you don’t already know the roads available, it’s probably not worth it.

Consider this, those roads are rough on trailers. You have to travel much slower with a trailer. Depending on how many miles of those Class II USFS roads you’re on plus the extra gas stops on the way and loading time, you might actually lose more hunting time bringing one. And that assumes you don’t have any trailer tire failures, which are not uncommon.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Skip it. Unless you have a specific 4wd high clearance overland or ATV trail that gets you miles back to an access spot, I would pass for reasons guys just mentioned. Most roads you can get your tacoma through I would bet and the ATV would only benefit if you have a network of 50" trails in your unit.

gelton

WKR
Depends on the unit and as others have said their motorized trail network. IME - units that I have hunted in the past definitely would not be worth bringing an ATV.

However, in the unit that I am hunting this year, you could certainly make a case for it.

IdahoN8v

FNG
I like to go by the saying of "Use the quads god gave you." I would leave the four wheeler home. You are in a Tacoma, which is a pretty capable little truck that can get you many places.

I like to go by the saying of "Use the quads god gave you." I would leave the four wheeler home. You are in a Tacoma, which is a pretty capable little truck that can get you many places.
Until you get to a necked down 50” ATV trail. A couple years ago while hunting the western slope, if you didn’t have an ATV, you were essentially cut off, and had to fight the hoards. I was able to take everything in on the ATV, set up a base camp, and then spike out from there several miles in. I was still able to “use the quads God gave me” and get away from people. I call it hybrid hunting. Kind of a cross between “truck camping” and backcountry hunting only with an ATV instead of a pickup.

11boo

WKR
The taco will get you anywhere you need to drive.
The quad will get you there a lot quicker.
tough call since it is a long drive.

All motor vehicles must stay on marked trails on public land. And I would highly recommend you respect that rule for your own sake. Also, your bow must be cased while operating an atv or utv.