Bring back made in USA..

Darryle

WKR
Problem is, society puts a high value on 'intelligence' and low value on knowledge.
That is about as succinctly as it can be stated.

I would change it sling:

knowledge/experience

I work with a metric ton of educated people who are some of the most ignorant people in the same breath.

FTR, only boots I buy now days come directly from Double H, Carolina, American Made Work Boots or Midwest Boots. Everything else I scrutinize and avoid China if possible.

MattB

WKR
remove the backfill ability and wages will become more attractive but you are right the governmental (State and Federal) assistance has to stop.
In my estimation we will need a lot more government assistance to get us to a place where we can stop it. There seems to be little will to do the things it will take to get us there, from both the government/tax payer as well as the recipients.

Wrench

WKR
They put the "don't feed the bears" signs up because they don't want dependency issues.

If people are faced with, must earn my own money or starve....they tend to adapt and overcome.

My grandparents were forced into prison camp leaving behind essentially everything they owned. They were released post war with nothing but two more mouths to feed. They didn't die, they worked hard and built their own wealth.

Please explain how anyone's circumstances can be a rougher start than a Japanese family kicked out of prison camp in Jerome, Idaho post war?

People need to pull up their britches, embrace the suck and make their way.

Or, don't.....but don't rely on America to foot your bills.

MattB

WKR
They put the "don't feed the bears" signs up because they don't want dependency issues.

If people are faced with, must earn my own money or starve....they tend to adapt and overcome.

My grandparents were forced into prison camp leaving behind essentially everything they owned. They were released post war with nothing but two more mouths to feed. They didn't die, they worked hard and built their own wealth.

Please explain how anyone's circumstances can be a rougher start than a Japanese family kicked out of prison camp in Jerome, Idaho post war?

Or, don't.....but don't rely on America to foot your bills.
Your grandparents very likely had work ethic and a strong value system going into and coming out of the internment camp. Not sure if you've noticed, but those are waning traits in American society - and likely more so in the sub-set of the population in question. Trying to suggest because your grandparents did it that the segment of our population most poorly equipped to do so is simply naive.

Earn money or starve? There are ~500K homeless people in the US who have elected to do neither. It would be pretty easy for a portion of the millions on public assistance to go that route. Or they could take your suggestion and earn money. Certainly some would turn to selling drugs, stolen property, themselves or even other people. That is a social experiment I don't care to participate in.

Wrench

WKR
They didn't give my grandparents a thing. Not a free phone, not a single entitlement, not even a ride to town.

People today think the world owes them an awful lot. Sitting on a street corner high as a kite only works if your financed. Stop the flow of $$ and something changes. Dealers need the bucks and junkies need the fix but it all starts as a dollar.

Make crime, crime again. Stop entitlement and after reality sets in it'll solve itself.

This nation was founded by very tough people and we've turned into pussies. We can't maintain the trend and expect to be the country we were born to.

We've gone from mottos like, lead or get out of the way. To, government card get reloaded on Tuesday so plan your week around it.

Stalker69

WKR
If you have pallet that weighs 1000 pounds and you have to unload it, does it really matter. If you are strong enough to life 100 pounds, get the job done and have cold beer.
Well ,,,,,,,,,,, if I can " life" 100 pounds, and the pallet weighs a 1000 pounds, yes it does really matter. I won't be able to life it my self.

In my estimation we will need a lot more government assistance to get us to a place where we can stop it. There seems to be little will to do the things it will take to get us there, from both the government/tax payer as well as the recipients.
stop nafta and all the sudden those inshore mfg plants down south dont seem near as profitable…

Corporate America will drive employment and business here if made to do so.

at same standpoint as long as we keep freely printing money, nothing will come back here. only way they can combat inflation is high unemployment and high interest

Wrench

WKR
When America was a resource based economy, we ruled the world. Now we're an import based economy.....so who should be winning?

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
So you basically have no responses or solutions to the practical challenges of implementing the policy you propose?

No offense, but there are a lot of people far smarter than you who have explored this issue and have not come up with a viable solution to solve it.
Your first line shows that you have no idea of personal responsibility. Nice leftist mentality there, no one can take care of themselves and we need to do it for them.

Your second part was absolutely meant to be offensive. You have no idea of how smart I, or the others you refer to are, but just though that your cheap shot would suffice. The ones you're referring to are more likely part of the problem rather than the solution anyway.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
There's the problem in a nutshell; I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

The help we're getting from the government is in learning to believe we're helpless without them, and everyone is a victim.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider

Best post in the entire thread and while it will offend many, that doesn't stop it from being the truth.

Cheesy

FNG
FTR, only boots I buy now days come directly from Double H, Carolina, American Made Work Boots or Midwest Boots. Everything else I scrutinize and avoid China if possible.
Thorogood has a large portion of American made work boots (not all). About all I wear anymore.

Cheesy

FNG
Work or starve. There is a decision to be made there.

Steal and get shot or don't steal and don't get shot. There is a decision to be made there.

Make terrible decisions and fill your life full of drugs and be lazy and surround yourself with crappy people and die in a ditch or make smart decisions and work hard and stay clean and be a contributing member of society. There is a decision to be made there.

We have made it to easy to be lazy and make bad decisions. Bad decisions must be painful or they will continue to be made. Until we remove safety nets from people that continually make bad decisions, they'll continue to make bad decisions.

"Oh, what do you want to do, just throw them out to the wolves, where is your compassion, thats not very nice." Yep, thats exactly what I want to do. You can't help anybody that doesn't want to help themselves, so why spend time and money trying to help them when they just piss it away?

Poeschel

Lil-Rokslider
This is only somewhat related, but my wife is a VP for a recruiting department for a big medical system. She told me that although they still require a degree, a collegiate athlete will move to the front of the list of candidates, followed by military.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
...where is your compassion, that's not very nice...
That was a very good post and I just wanted to point out that many of us prefer to give our compassion to those who work hard and try to be productive members of society.

Help those who also help themselves and others, as they deserve in like what they do for others. Those who are nothing but a burden for others, not the least of which is their own family and loved ones, deserve in return what they give to others, nothing, and if they actively ruin life for others, they deserve restraint, at the very least, so that they may no longer be a negative force for those around them.

Idaboy

WKR
When it's staring us in the face on the corner of the street, the problem or the solution seems obvious. When you peel back the layers of our economics, and policy, it's somewhat mind boggling....we call it welfare for people, but "incentives" for businesses....we proclaim free markets etc, but we are a heavily "subsidized/incentivized" economy. You can't have your cake and eat it too, so in general the US has leveraged obtaining goods and services from outside our borders, not over used extractive industries on our soil, and propped up our economy to be a very wealthy nation, but to that end, corporate profits drive numerous policy decisions. Hell, as much as I might take issue with wall street, gone are the days of company pensions and most of us are counting on some IRA/401k etc which means you need the total market to succeed if I ever want to see the daylight of retirement...So whether it's the health care industry, the banking industry, the energy industry, the agriculture industry, the real estate industry, construction industry, the auto industry, the airlines industry etc, you can find policy/incentives/subsidy/tax breaks etc that help that business, and our economy is so interconnectes that you risk the domino effect if you let something fail....so whether it's welfare for people on the corner or welfare for an industry, our economics are so complex, and currently the tax and political system is so complex a major overhaul is not going to happen. The degree of mental health issues in the homeless population is so pervasive yet no one wants to "invest" in that. Yeah, when you can make $22 bucks an hr at a fast food place it's hard for me to wrap my head around why someone can't go start working. But we must at least acknowledge that a large portion of our tax dollars go to industry, and we decide to "value" that and not call it"welfare for a business". I work in 3 different industries that derive benefits from the current economic system, and I am thankful it has worked for my family in an honest, above the table fashion, but I won't pretend that it's not an "entitlement" that industry lobbies and defends with vigor in the political system.....it's a very complex social and economic system, and so I just don't buy pointing at homeless people as "the problem", they may not be helping their situation and they have to take responsibility for decisions, but the whole thing seems much more complex than what we see on the street corner.

Last edited: