Bring back made in USA..

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
It only takes those that over spent, and lived beyond or at means. Our economy should have already imploded in 2020 and in 2021, since goods availablilty are at a 20 year historic low.

I find it ironic how liberals decided to fix Mexico’s economy with NAFTA and EPA regulations, and then want to subsidize lower incomes up with welfare rather then Jobs.
That's sort of my point though. we don't need an every-steepening tower of Buy More Stuff to head off a collapse, which means that people deciding they don't need to work 80 hours a week to buy a new car isn't what's hurting us, and maybe just maybe we should cast a weather eye at the people who made record profits in the last year, consequently now blaming social safety nets for our economic woes.

Blaming "liberals" for offshoring jobs is shortsighted. It happened under Reagan, it happened under Bush, it happened under Trump, and the big corps donate to both parties so they can keep their 0% effective tax rates and subsidies.

HNTR918

WKR
I proud to work for a company that is a true MADE IN AMERICA manufacturer.

Not one of the many FRAUDS that only assemble in the US and buys all there stuff from Asia.

(Business is very good by the way! A LOT of reshoring is going on.)

Serious question. Why would I work in a factory when I can make 100K a year "playing" on computers?
Because you oftentimes need a certain skill set, degree, etc to “make 100k a year playing on computers”. Factory jobs are perfect for the 18-35 yo unskilled segment of the US who don’t have a college degree. The problem though is that is the demographic that doesn’t think they should have to work for anything.

But i assure you, unskilled and uneducated people are not making 100k playing on computers.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'm sooooo glad we spent so much time on simultaneous equations when
taking all that algebra in HS and college.
Cause now that its simultaneous equation season I'm way ahead of the game.

Does anybody actually eat at McDonalds? Cause that stuff is not food.

vdocLU164

FNG
Maybe there needs to be a change in our views of what the worth of a job is. "Playing" on a computer from home takes education, schooling, etc. While physical jobs, factory work, construction, any labor job takes it tolls on your body. Maybe the sacrifice working a physical job, giving up your bodies health when you age should be compensated monetarily more than the education needed for an office job when that compensation is saving your body later in life.

CorbLand

WKR
Because you oftentimes need a certain skill set, degree, etc to “make 100k a year playing on computers”. Factory jobs are perfect for the 18-35 yo unskilled segment of the US who don’t have a college degree. The problem though is that is the demographic that doesn’t think they should have to work for anything.

But i assure you, unskilled and uneducated people are not making 100k playing on computers.
I would bet that there are far more people under 35 that have skill set to make 100K sitting at a computer than there are over that.

Ironically, those that have the potential to make that kind of money are probably more likely to be unskilled and have no degree.

To simply say that those jobs are not filled because people are lazy is narrow minded and a cop out. By saying that, it implies that there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

Last edited:
I would bet that there are far more people under 35 that have skill set to make 100K sitting at a computer than there are over that.

Ironically, those that have the potential to make that kind of money are probably more likely to be unskilled and have no degree.

To simply say that those jobs are not filled because people are lazy is narrow minded and a cop out. By saying that, it implies that there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

You clearly don’t understand business.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Not saying this is the only reason for lack of employees but a lot of boomers are retiring right now too. You can look it up, a huge percentage of 65-75 year olds retired in the past 2-3 years.

jayhawk

WKR
TBH I doubt it’s a labor shortage anymore. The labor market has drastically shifted since COVID as people found ways to make money from home.

I live in a college town, and asked why there were no students waiting tables in any of the restaurants. A couple different people have told me that everyone just makes money online now. Instagram, steaming, etc. They can take a picture of a shampoo bottle, post an ad on Instagram, and make 10x more than almost anywhere else.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
So if I can make 20 bucks an hour lifting 100 pound bags of sand all day and the guy down the road is offering 20 bucks an hour lifting 50 pound bag of sand all day...I am lazy for going with the 50 pound bags?
Only if you don't lift more than double the bags 😉

CorbLand

WKR
You clearly don’t understand business.
I think you are looking to narrow at what the internet and computers have opened up. The guy above me gets what I am a saying. Why would I be an accountant when I can stream myself playing video games and make the same amount of money?

I think you are looking to narrow at what the internet and computers have opened up. The guy above me gets what I am a saying. Why would I be an accountant when I can stream myself playing video games and make the same amount of money?
Simple answer, just because some people make a lot of money being nerds playing video games all day for other nerds doesn’t mean EVERYONE who tries will make a ton of money. It’s like some kid saying i’m going to be a Youtuber. Some make a ton of money but the vast majority don’t make any.

Go to college, become a CPA, or whatever your desired field, and you’ll have a marketable skill that most do not that has a going rate. You have something worth being paid a certain amount of money for.

What you’re saying is what’s wrong with people and society in general today. Mr Beast makes millions on Youtube and instead of younger people realizing he is not the norm , as you apparently don’t either, they all decide they’re going to be Youtubers too and remain unemployed living with their parents trying to do it until they’re 35. Then they’re a no skill 35 yo who hasn’t been responsible for a single bill in their entire life looking for a no skill job but expecting skilled labor compensation because you know, livable wages right. It’s the most ridiculous attitude imaginable when people talk as you do.

Make your self employable and you’ll be employed. Aspire to stream video games and it’s almost guaranteed you’ll be a broke 35 yo loser.

A. We have a massive labor shortage right now with just what we currently make.
B. We do not seem very willing or able to figure out a way to import labor for the jobs that Americans won’t do.
C. Things are made from so many new materials these days than they were even 30 years ago, and we simply cannot source all those materials from the US or even US allies.
D. Global economies are good for the globe in general as more people have more access to more things at optimized prices. Plus it is incentive to not have large scale global wars.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
With the shortage of everything and the price tag attached to all good, I think it's time for manufacturing to shift back to producing products here in the USA. If you are waiting for the price of good to go back down, don't hold your breath. I live in so. Cal. uggh, and the number of container ships, last count 62, with 500k containers, waiting up to four weeks to unload is amazing. The cost to ship each container has gone up from around $2k per to $4500 on avg. Who do you think is paying that extra cost, us that's who. And it's likely to go higher in the near future. So with all that extra cost to ship from overseas, when will it become more financially beneficial to gear back up and manufacture right here in the USA. Or are we just going accept the fact that we are going to continue to be at the mercy of offshore goods, along with the increasing cost.
Edit: Sorry, should have looked at the OP date.

Labor is the issue. We would have to shift from a service economy, and too many people have money they want to spend on being served, whether that is at a restaurant, or having someone else fix their plumbing.

Even at the ridiculous cost of skilled labor (master plumber/electrician/carpenter/mechanic, etc) we have a shortage. As the demand for healthcare surge's due to the Silver Tsunami we will need even more service workers. That, or boomers will have to figure out how to live and die alone, along with anyone who has severe disabilities.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the US become a manufacturing powerhouse again, for the sake of my children. However, the reality is the Piper is coming and will be payed for the last 50 years of poor decisions. I just hope my generation will be the one that says "the buck stops here" but odds (and evidence) says we will copy the three generations that came before us and try to kick the can further down the road until it is out of our control.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Simple answer, just because some people make a lot of money being nerds playing video games all day for other nerds doesn’t mean EVERYONE who tries will make a ton of money. It’s like some kid saying i’m going to be a Youtuber. Some make a ton of money but the vast majority don’t make any.

Go to college, become a CPA, or whatever your desired field, and you’ll have a marketable skill that most do not that has a going rate. You have something worth being paid a certain amount of money for.

What you’re saying is what’s wrong with people and society in general today. Mr Beast makes millions on Youtube and instead of younger people realizing he is not the norm , as you apparently don’t either, they all decide they’re going to be Youtubers too and remain unemployed living with their parents trying to do it until they’re 35. Then they’re a no skill 35 yo who hasn’t been responsible for a single bill in their entire life looking for a no skill job but expecting skilled labor compensation because you know, livable wages right. It’s the most ridiculous attitude imaginable when people talk as you do.

Make your self employable and you’ll be employed. Aspire to stream video games and it’s almost guaranteed you’ll be a broke 35 yo loser.
The same can be said for getting degrees. I know a lot of people that have degrees that don’t make money or have a marketable skill.

Video game streaming is just one avenue. So let’s say that we open a new market that 1% of people can make money off of, that is 1% of people that do not fill those jobs.

For all those people that are trying and are going to fail at it. Good for them. Many people try and fail at businesses or other jobs.

I remember this same conversation in the early 2000s when the internet was taking off. There was a lot of people that “didn’t want to work” or where “lazy” back then too.

Are there a lot of lazy people? Yep. But chalking everything up to that and not looking at other factors is what will continue to cause problems and will not lead to a solution.

Last edited:
The same can be said for getting degrees. I know a lot of people that have degrees that don’t make money or have a marketable skill.

Video game streaming is just one avenue. So let’s say that we open a new market that 1% of people can make money off of, that is 1% of people that do not fill those jobs.

For all those people that are trying and are going to fail at it. Good for them. Many people try and fail at businesses or other jobs.

I remember this same conversation in the early 2000s when the internet was taking off. There was a lot of people that “didn’t want to work” or where “lazy” back then too.

Are there a lot of lazy people? Yep. But chalking everything up to that and not looking at other factors is what will continue to cause problems and will not lead to a solution.

I never said lazy people were the ONLY problem. But it most definitely is one of the largest at the moment.

As to degrees, if you get a philosophy degree that’s about the same career choice as game streamer with very little chance of success. Choose your career path wisely.

I'm going bet that there's not a single broke 35 year old on the face of this earth that has only tried to make money by streaming on YouTube.

Yoder

WKR
My step son is going to be a professional gamer. He's 22. He probably plays every waking moment he's not at work. He currently makes $0/month gaming. I'll bet in a few years he'll make at least $10/month. There are about a billion people who think they are either going to be a gamer or create video games. Don't quit your day job.

schmalzy

WKR
I hired a kid/young man to a be helper for commercial construction specialty sub work a few years ago. He was a “pro” video gamer. I think I started him around $15 bucks an hour. If you extended they out to monthly wages, he made twice that in the various tournaments he played. Sharp guy, just wildly unsuited for field labor and ended up letting him go. When I asked him what the hell he was doing trying to work in construction he said “he just didn’t want to sit around the house all day”. I really admired that and wish I had the capital and resources at the time to train him in design.

I think I squandered an opportunity there. Like anything else, people will be successful or they won’t be. Doesn’t matter the generation or anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk