Bring my 12 y/o nephew or go solo?

Take him. I don’t think In the end you will regret it. My dad took me along with him when I was 5 and could barely keep up. I cost him more than a few shot opportunities but I’m glad he made the sacrifice. Modern technology is a part of our lives now but there’s still something primal in our dna about getting out and chasing game. Give him the opportunity and you both may be surprised how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bet you won't regret taking him.

I hunt with kids a lot and I'll give some unsolicited advice. Make sure he has fun. Set some small, simple goals and give rewards (gas station ice cream bars, etc). Bring a shotgun and take some time to let him go at those coveys of huns or sharpies when you shake them up. It really breaks up the day. Let him sneak up on some puddle ducks. Bring some clays and a hand thrower. It just takes a little bit of foresight to keep it fun for him. Also, make sure he is comfortable to some degree. Extra socks, extra clothes, snacks, etc.

Good luck!

Stalker69

WKR
Depends on the kid. If I take my kids and their friends I make the hunt about them. Stop when they want, eat when they want, sleep in if they want. It’s about them enjoying the experience and associating positivity. Now we do work hard when needed, but not forced.

so if this hunt is about you getting out and accomplishing your goals and don’t think the kid can hang don’t take him. But definitely maybe plan a second trip for his deer tag! I go in solo hunts all the time

the flip side of you sacrificing your time/hunt now is you will hopefully train a new generation hunter who is better than you! My 18 yo son and his best friend I taught are now a huge help to me with all aspects. They never would have developed well if I hadn’t taken the time when they were young to instill a love of the hunt.
Couldn’t say it any better ! He will “ slow” you down. If you don’t want to or can’t deal with that, don’t take him. But it could be life changing for him. I know when my dad took me at 10 years of age, it gave me a reason to live. Hunting ( fishing) is all I thought about for years. Take a .22 rifle or something he can shoot. Even a decent pellet rifle he can carry around, and shoot at times. Rabbits , rats are cool to shoot and get the feel if he’s goin* to like it or not.

Take him! I cant wait until my kids get old enough to start hunting out west with me. That's all part of it!

Kid hunting is HARD... but it's completely worth it!

As has been mentioned, it's his hunt, not yours... but you'll probably get your goat anyway! Keep that in mind.

OP
SecretSpot
Welp its been a very successful hunt. I killed 3 antelope, my nephew managed a whitetail doe at 334 yards, and a really nice mule deer buck at 200 yards (his first buck mind you, took him to the taxidermist today) and we even got to join a buddy with a special permit kill a monster freak of a bull (going 360"+) all in 4 days!! All with the same rifle too, man have I quartered and packed a lot of meat this week. On top of all that it's my birthday tomo.

Attachments

• 182.jpeg
    182.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC05218.JPG
    DSC05218.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC05217.JPG
    DSC05217.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC05308.JPG
    DSC05308.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC05223.JPG
    DSC05223.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC05296.JPG
    DSC05296.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC05209.JPG
    DSC05209.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC05304.JPG
    DSC05304.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC05256.JPG
    DSC05256.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC05276.JPG
    DSC05276.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 12
OP
SecretSpot

Attachments

• 20201105_175121.jpg
    20201105_175121.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC05240.JPG
    DSC05240.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC05244_1.JPG
    DSC05244_1.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC05263.JPG
    DSC05263.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 6
Hopefully one day I will be doing the same. Mine are still 7 and under but I am sure they will have their day in the field with me and their cousins
Great job. He will remember it for awhile

Michael54

WKR
Welp its been a very successful hunt. I killed 3 antelope, my nephew managed a whitetail doe at 334 yards, and a really nice mule deer buck at 200 yards (his first buck mind you, took him to the taxidermist today) and we even got to join a buddy with a special permit kill a monster freak of a bull (going 360"+) all in 4 days!! All with the same rifle too, man have I quartered and packed a lot of meat this week. On top of all that it's my birthday tomo.
Sounds like you aren't regretting the decision. Did it limit your hunting like you thought? Also congrats! You made that kids year I'm sure.

OP
SecretSpot
Didn't really limit me too much. The weather was fair, and doing 4-5miles a day was doable. Definately had fun and got the kid addicted to hunting

Grumman

WKR
I’m really glad you all had a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! You took some beautiful pics!! I have a 5yo and can't wait until he can join me! Pretty soon he'll have to do all the packing as he has an old mom....

Way to go! It will only get easier to take him along. Soon he will be a real help and hunting partner.

Kids grow fast and the relationship you have now will help all of you and family through the teenage years 😂 . It’s also fun to start planning hunts and putting in for draw tags etc and seeing the excitement in a new hunter

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
The world needs more guys like you in it. Well done. That kid will remember that the rest of his life

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Great work. That kid will forever remember such an awesome trip. You’ve created a lifelong outdoorsman and advocate, I would imagine, to say nothing of the quality time with your nephew.

For what it’s worth, I’ve decided hunting with family, especially the youngsters, is always a good decision, even if it means tag soup.