Bringing bow and gun

mooster

WKR
If I have to resort to the rifle I would still try to get as close as possible. A shot no further than 150 yds with the 6.5. I’m not a long range hunter I like getting in as close as possible. I’ve shot 8 elk from 10yd out to 70 with my bow.
We plan on a 10 day hunt and I would probably hunt the first 7 days with my bow in hand. You never know if you have a moose on the other side of an opening or pond that you can’t sneak across. I’m a run and gun type of guy and I usually cover 6-15 miles a day when elk hunting and my caribou was 4 miles from camp this yr. I think my biggest struggle will be staying within a mile or 1 1/2 mile of camp. I always want to see what is over the next hill.
Does anyone bring a pack raft on their moose hunt. Would I be better off with a pack raft vs my rifle for my use of weight.

Like twincedar said I can use my buddies rifle if needed
We got dropped on a lake last year. I brought a pack raft to expand our hunt area and/or transport a moose.

AKBorn

WKR
If I have to resort to the rifle I would still try to get as close as possible. A shot no further than 150 yds with the 6.5. I’m not a long range hunter I like getting in as close as possible. I’ve shot 8 elk from 10yd out to 70 with my bow.
We plan on a 10 day hunt and I would probably hunt the first 7 days with my bow in hand. You never know if you have a moose on the other side of an opening or pond that you can’t sneak across. I’m a run and gun type of guy and I usually cover 6-15 miles a day when elk hunting and my caribou was 4 miles from camp this yr. I think my biggest struggle will be staying within a mile or 1 1/2 mile of camp. I always want to see what is over the next hill.
Does anyone bring a pack raft on their moose hunt. Would I be better off with a pack raft vs my rifle for my use of weight.

Like twincedar said I can use my buddies rifle if needed

Just FYI that moose are much more sensitive to scent; caribou really don't care. Might not be the best idea to hike all over your area leaving scent....maybe let your binos do the walking for a couple of days at least, to get an idea of how animals seem to move in your hunt area.

In the end it simply comes down to one question, which will make you happier? Knowing you had the mindset and stones to chase swamp donkeys with a bow regardless of the outcome or killing a moose? While mine was not a monster bull, I went to full draw at 10' and it was life-changing. For me, rifle kills are anticlimactic. I think you're either a bow hunter or you're not.

IMG_2186.JPG