Bringing Browning BAR into Canada?

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Doing a moose hunt in Canada shortly and encountered some problems with my 300WM so was going to bring my Browning BAR 30-06 (no detachable magazine). Was checking on the regulations and noticed that “Restricted” firearms include those that “are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner”. This then requires extra hurdles.

Curious from any Canadians or Americans that have crossed the border of what the rule maybe. I’ll also call the Canadian Firearms Program.

Wondering if it will just be easier to get another 300WM bolt gun….

Thanks

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Following this as I will be doing the exact same thing next year on a moose hunt in Alberta. I have the same rifle except in LH and 30-06.

I see they are allowed for sale in Canada:

Last edited:

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I'm reading more closely into the law and here's what I'm seeing:

1. Semi-automatic firearms that are capable of firing centerfire ammunition AND
  2. have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long.
So in our cases, the rifle barrels are longer than 18.5" (ours are 22" & 23") so they are NOT restricted.

OP
F

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I’d rather be sure BEFORE I get to the border and dont want to make assumptions, but I see what you are reading too. I’ll be calling and wanted to see others thoughts (and then had the same thought about auto loading shotguns…..).

When I read the following from the RCMP I just get more confused about “restricted”.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/classes-firearms

Appreciate the feedback.

Pgidley

FNG
I'm reading more closely into the law and here's what I'm seeing:

1. Semi-automatic firearms that are capable of firing centerfire ammunition AND
  2. have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long.
So in our cases, the rifle barrels are longer than 18.5" (ours are 22" & 23") so they are NOT restricted.
This is correct, BAR is unrestricted in Canada.