Bringing the family along on out of state hunting trips - camper questions too

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Yeah, I have these grand ideas and seem to talk myself out of them. My main issues are these:

1. We camp a decent amount but looking at buying a camper we like is $16K. It's not an expensive camper by any means but I'm frugal by nature. I wonder if we will actually use it enough to justify the cost. I'm realistically looking at using it 5-6 times a year. AND some of those would probably just be weekend trips near our house.

We could always take the pop up but it is small, no bathroom, and can get pretty chilly at night. I was thinking we could attach a canvas carport to it somehow to extend the living space though.

2. I think it is a lot to ask the wife to be "stuck" in a camper all day with both kids. Not that they'd have to be inside all day but I'd have the truck with me so they are stuck there. The statepark I'm looking at is nothing but water so keeping my 2.5 year old alive will be her main objective.

3. An out of state elk hunt normally runs me around a grand with tags and splitting gas and hotel rooms with my buddy. I can't go dutch with the wife on this one - I'm footing the whole bill. So my typical $1,000 hunt is looking more like $2,500. Gas, hotels to/fro, food, tag, state park fees, etc.

I dunno, I've got some stuff to figure out. It sounded great but I seem to be talking myself out of it. Appreciate the info.

fmyth

WKR
Solid advice right here! After pulling a 40ft fiver all over the western rockies and now in a 40ft rig for work, I can honestly say that while the amenities of larger rigs are awesome they come at the price of limitations! Not only will you be limited to the size of campgrounds but the size of your tow vehicle will need to be considered as well!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
And eventually, if you use it enough, you will pinch your cab, bust out your truck window or crush a bedside. RV life = good time$.

fmyth

WKR
We have a Nash 17K which is about 19-20' minus the tongue. It's too small for a family but it's great to get into places we hunt (rough dirt roads, creek crossings, etc) and is a true 4 season trailer. We've been looking at the Outdoors RV models in the 21-23 range.
If Outdoors would build me a toy hauler I'd order one today. Great quality trailers.

Looks like a coleman pop up...I had one just like it until I took on a week trout fishing trip. This was early May in WV they were miserable...it was cold/rainy and we were in an area with no cell service and by day 4 it muntany on the Bounty time. The pop up had worked great for hunting and fishing trips with the guys but the wife and kids had different expectations...So I sold the pop up..in the process of getting a slide in camper for my truck for me...We stay in hotels or air BnB now on family vacations.
YMMV.

WKR
We have a Nash 17K which is about 19-20' minus the tongue. It's too small for a family but it's great to get into places we hunt (rough dirt roads, creek crossings, etc) and is a true 4 season trailer. We've been looking at the Outdoors RV models in the 21-23 range.

I have a Nash 25C. Looking to sell it due to significant family structure changes but boy are they great campers. The built in LP generator is a great addition IMO.

WKR
Yeah, I have these grand ideas and seem to talk myself out of them. My main issues are these:

1. We camp a decent amount but looking at buying a camper we like is $16K. It's not an expensive camper by any means but I'm frugal by nature. I wonder if we will actually use it enough to justify the cost. I'm realistically looking at using it 5-6 times a year. AND some of those would probably just be weekend trips near our house.

We could always take the pop up but it is small, no bathroom, and can get pretty chilly at night. I was thinking we could attach a canvas carport to it somehow to extend the living space though.

2. I think it is a lot to ask the wife to be "stuck" in a camper all day with both kids. Not that they'd have to be inside all day but I'd have the truck with me so they are stuck there. The statepark I'm looking at is nothing but water so keeping my 2.5 year old alive will be her main objective.

3. An out of state elk hunt normally runs me around a grand with tags and splitting gas and hotel rooms with my buddy. I can't go dutch with the wife on this one - I'm footing the whole bill. So my typical $1,000 hunt is looking more like $2,500. Gas, hotels to/fro, food, tag, state park fees, etc.

I dunno, I've got some stuff to figure out. It sounded great but I seem to be talking myself out of it. Appreciate the info.

Honestly, it sounds like a great recipe for you to be mad that your hunting is greatly reduced by the family vacation, and the family vacation is greatly reduced by your attempts to hunt...

I take my family hunting a lot. My kids are now 10 and 13. So, I take them hunting and let the wife stay home. It’s a win win. I can go hunting whenever I want, because she gets a week “off”. We do al sorts of different camp configurations. We have a 32’ travel trailer, a large outfitters tent with stove, and regular backpacking tents. All the formats are fun and have their place depending on the hunt.

You’re right. Travel trailers are not camping. We look at our TT as a hotel replacement. Not a tent replacement. I don’t take my TT off road. A lot of folks do. But, that’s when I like to use a tent. We have much more flexibility driving around without a giant trailer.

My advice would be to immediately upgrade the tires on whatever RV you get. The ones that come standard on most pop ups, travel trailers, fifth wheels etc., are complete garbage. Spend a little extra and take it to a tire shop and get some high quality tires. It drives much better and will give you peace of mind that you don’t have a blowout waiting to happen.
Great advice on the tires....goes for about any trailer you buy from cargo all the way up to tandem dual gooseneck.