Bringing water to the antelope?

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I wanted to hunt a recently dried up stock tank once, so I lined the center with a garbage bag and dumped 7 gallons of water in it. The antelope kept coming in...

Mikewdn10

FNG
Tried this once while in Oregon. Deer and elk loved it. Even a bear found it. However I went back for the season and someone decided they didn’t like that I had done this and destroyed my pretty elaborate set up. Beware most likely someone will find it and either sit it or like in my case destroy it to get the animals to come to where they are set up. Make sure and camouflage the crap out of your set up. Mine was not camouflaged enough. Pretty disappointed as it helped all the animals in the area I was hunting.

Good luck!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of guys have hauled water succesfully for antelope around here. I don't know how much they haul or how they do it. Good luck man, never be afraid to work hard and do crazy stuff, it might work!

Last edited:
OP
Kiddross

Kiddross

Lil-Rokslider
Not going great! I have not had a single visitor outside of rabbits since I set it up. I am honestly surprised.
Good news is I checked it last weekend on the 31st which would have been nearing 3 weeks since I set it up. with utilizing the enclosed barrel and small auto-float water bowl, The evaporation was next to nill. I could only add a half gallon of water to the barrel before it was topped off.

Even without activity, I left it up in case something finds it before my hunt starts on the 28th. I honestly think the last remaining "Known water" went dry in the area which prompted them to leave prior to finding mine. I had seen Antelope on every trip in there excluding the last trip.

I have not lost all hope on it working but I am not holding my breath. My only thought is I should have got it out sooner in the hopes they would find prior to leaving. I thought by putting out some shredded alfalfa that they would have picked that scent up and got them to the water.

Not going great! I have not had a single visitor outside of rabbits since I set it up. I am honestly surprised.
Good news is I checked it last weekend on the 31st which would have been nearing 3 weeks since I set it up. with utilizing the enclosed barrel and small auto-float water bowl, The evaporation was next to nill. I could only add a half gallon of water to the barrel before it was topped off.

Even without activity, I left it up in case something finds it before my hunt starts on the 28th. I honestly think the last remaining "Known water" went dry in the area which prompted them to leave prior to finding mine. I had seen Antelope on every trip in there excluding the last trip.

I have not lost all hope on it working but I am not holding my breath. My only thought is I should have got it out sooner in the hopes they would find prior to leaving. I thought by putting out some shredded alfalfa that they would have picked that scent up and got them to the water.
Kiddross, I know that this was last year, but did you have any success at this water hole project?You definitely get credit for your efforts! Did you have a good hunt? Thanks.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
interesting idea, have came across a spot with multiple 5 gallon bucks of water in Arizona on a deer hunt... always wondered if they every had deer drink from them.

I thought I was pretty pationate about hunting, but never thought of hauling water to a hunting spot to increase my chance of harvest. Personally, part of the fun with hunting is trying to figure out where the animals are depending on the various conditions.