British Columbia Elk Hunting Success

Jsuss

FNG
I just got back from my 2022 hunting adventure, and wanted to share the story with the Rokslide community. I hope everybody is enjoying the hunting season and is getting out there. Good luck to everybody!

This year, I went to Northern British Columbia with my hunting buddy specifically to chase Elk with rifles during the rut. Since we are both new hunters and are not residents of BC we went with a guide who taught us a ton about hunting elk, reading sign, bugling, cow calling, raking, wind checking, picking spots and how to close the distance in thickly wooded areas.

The trip started out with mixed results. Firstly, it took a tremendous logistical effort to get to camp. We had to take 3 flights over a 20 hour period to get to Fort St. John and then an hour and a half drive to camp just outside Good Hope, BC. From there, we went another hour from base camp to our spike out camp. By the time we got to the spike camp location, we were exhausted but mustered up the energy to head into the woods for an evening hunt. We went with our guide, Donny Zenner (he runs a youtube channel called Living 4 the Rut, for those who want to check out his content) to our first spot.

A big part of this trip for me and my hunting partner was the desire to learn. Neither of us grew up hunting, or grew up in the woods. This was our second back country hunt. Last year we both ate tag soup but had an amazing trip to the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho. This year, we were armed with some knowledge we took from last years hunt, but we were determined to learn more and hopefully come home with at least one elk.

Donny was the perfect guide for us - very generous with his time and more than happy to make the effort to teach us. Anyway, back to the hunt. We got into a spot almost immediately that had all kinds of elk sign. Fresh footprints, nipped off trees/buds, fresh droppings and some rubs that were a day or two old at most. We got to high ground with a small clearing in the brush and hit a cow call followed by a bugle. Then we waited. It felt like minutes, but within a few seconds we got a response. There was a bull, slightly down the hill a few hundred yards away. We responded with a follow-up bugle and got an immediate response.

Lake from Glassing Spt.jpg

We backed out of our area and started to close the distance towards where we heard the elk bugle. Donny was in front, I followed with my gun at the ready and my hunting buddy was behind me with his camera ready to catch whatever came next. I had my wind checker out and was constantly checking the wind, or so I thought. With the wind in our face and a relatively well worn game trail to walk on, we closed down the distance to the bull quickly. Donny hit the bull with another cow call and then a bugle. Almost immediately we heard a big bugle response and some serious raking. We stopped where we were, and got set up. Donny started to rake with a small 5 point shed he carries, mixed in with bugles.

At this point we were quickly losing shooting light (technically the local laws let you shoot 1 hour after sundown, but in the thick woods we were in it was nearly impossible). It felt like we had 10 minutes or less to make something happen. As the minutes ticked down, the elk came in to us and was probably 20 yards away. He had a big body, but in the dwindling light I could not make out the antlers and was not comfortable taking a shot (we were in a 6 point zone). As we were standing there trying to get him to turn his head, the wind swirled, he got our scent and took off crashing through the woods.

My heart was racing, I had just had my first ever elk encounter, heard my first ever bugle and came within a split second of having a big bull elk down on the first night. My adrenaline was pumping and I knew already I was hooked on elk hunting during the rut. We backed out and made a plan to go back the next morning.

Last edited:
OP
Jsuss

Jsuss

FNG
That night, we all slept hard, but short. We got up, had a quick breakfast and hightailed it back to our spot. We went back to the same high ground and let out a cow call and bugle. Silence. No response, no raking, nothing. We spent the rest of the morning changing locations in that general area, but it became clear the bull we were chasing was no longer there. Or if he was, he smartened up and quieted down.

As the morning ended and the afternoon rolled in, all of our phones started buzzing with an emergency push warning - forest fire approaching an a mandatory evacuation. We spent the rest of the second day packing up camp and getting out. We went back to the original base camp that we had been to and hunted from there the rest of the trip.

The third morning started slowly. We went to a new spot and had almost no elk sign. No fresh rubs, no fresh droppings, no fresh footprints. After about two hours in that spot, we backed out and tried a different spot a few miles down. It immediately felt like we hit the jackpot. Totally different scenario. Tons of rubs, droppings, nipped bushes and footprints - both Elk and Moose. We picked a spot, got settled in and let out some calls. To our surprise, we got nothing. Then, around 11am very faint grunt. We responded with a bugle, nothing. Cow call, nothing. Rake, nothing. Then again, a very faint grunt. By now it was around 1230/1pm, the sun was high in the sky and the temperate had risen to over 75 degrees. We all agreed, there were elk here but it was too hot, they were not going to move. All we could do was scare them off. We backed out, went in to town for lunch and made a plan to come back that evening.

That evening we went back to the same spot, hiked in about a mile and a half on an old overgrown logging road from a very old cut block from 20+ years prior. We got action almost immediately. On the way in we passed a wallow that had been used that morning. We hit the elk with a bugle and got a big response. Was it the same elk that had been grunting in the afternoon heat? Most likely, but hard to know for sure. We responded with a bugle of our own, which immediately got a very aggressive response. We followed up with a cow call and then a bugle, and very clearly we had pissed off a big boy in the woods. He bugled back, raked and started to come down from the uphill spot he was on. We could hear him crashing through the woods, raking, bugling, grunting. We got set up, Donny about 10 yards behind us calling, me on the camera and my hunting buddy on the rifle (we were swapping opportunities - (I had the first shot on night one, this was his shot on night 3). That elk came crunching down right to the border of where the overgrown logging road met the thick forest. He stopped there, and similar to the first night we had very low light conditions. A more experienced hunter would have known that he was a shooter. But for me and my hunting buddy, we did not get a clear look at his antlers and Donny was not quite close enough to give us the "OK" to shoot. We had the wind in our face, it never swirled but the Elk never took another step closer. He stopped at the forest line about 8 or 10 yards from where we stood. he bugled and grunted and raked behind a bush. And then he decided he did not like what he was seeing/hearing and he backed out. He did not bolt like the elk the first night, and the wind was never at our back. He bugled the whole way out. It was clear we were not winded, but we also would not have a dead elk that night.

We gave a slight chase through the woods, with the wind in our face cow calling and bugling to try and get him to turn back around but his bugles kept getting further and further away. We again decided, best to back out and come back the next day. On the way out we bumped two big bull moose who had been gearing up for a battle royale.

All in all, a massive success of a day, despite no bull down. One serious elk encounter, two bull moose, tons of sign. And we still had 7 days left to hunt.

That night the adrenaline rushed through my veins, and it made sleeping very challenging. I got maybe 3 or 4 hours total. Got up at 3:45am, scarfed a quick breakfast and went back to the spot. This time, it was just me and Donny. My hunting buddy had got linked up with another guide who took him the rest of the trip - this way we both maximized probability of putting down bull elk. Let me take a second here to thank my hunting buddy. By all rights, this was his elk to chase. That night over dinner, he told me he was going elsewhere and wanted me to go back in after the elk. The next morning at breakfast, I suggested he had made a mistake and he should be the one to chase the elk. However, he insisted. We were switching opportunities, he had his chance and today was mine. An excellent friend, a great hunting partner, and all around a great guy in general.

Road in.jpg

OP
Jsuss

Jsuss

FNG
Donny and I got to the access point around 4:45am/5am. We started our hike, and went in about 2 miles. We hit a bugle and nothing. A cow call, a bugle and a rake. Nothing. It was feeling like the second day all over again. One more bugle for good measure, and bang a response. But not a loud aggressive one, a faint bugle behind us and up the hill. We turned around, back tracked about a quarter mile and bugled again. Again a very light response, a chuckle. It was faint but it was directly above us. We bugled, cow called and raked. Nada. We waited, bugled and nothing. It was now around 7am. We could not seem to get a response from the elk. We had the wind in our favor, and so we decided to go in after him.

To say the woods were thick would be an understatement. Heavy underbrush, thick spruce and tons of other trees. This was an old cut block, probably 20 or so years old and had tons of regrowth from the past 20 years making it extremely thick. We spent the next 40 minutes slowly covering about 400 yards. Step, crunch, climb, duck, bugle, stop/listen. The elk barely made any noise. A few low chuckles and that was about it.

Around 7:40 we got into a very fresh wallow. We stopped there, hit a cow call and a bugle and then BOOM a huge response.
Bugle from Wallow.jpg

OP
Jsuss

Jsuss

FNG
A very angry bugle. We responded with a bugle, I chambered a round and stripped the cover off of my scope. The bull bugled again and raked. We used the opportunity to close some distance and get up onto a dead fall log lying on some bushes horizontally. There was sign all over the place, multiple beds, big rubs, felled trees.

Big trees down.jpg

We were in this elk's house and he was not happy about it. Then it happened, the bull stepped into a clearing not even ten yards from us. Broadside. Antlers in full display, he grunted and raked. Donny held up the small rag 5 point antler shed he had been raking with and the bull locked onto it. I slowly raised my gun, put the cross hairs behind the shoulder, less loose half a breath and squeezed the trigger. I was hunting with my Christensen Arms Ridgeline 300 win mag with a muzzle break topped with a Vortex HD LHT 3-15x50 mil spec scope. I am shooting a barnes 180 grain ttsx hand load from pendleton ammunition. The gun went boom, the bullet found its target and the elk hunched his back. I cycled the action, chambered a second round, reacquired the elk, shot again, this time into his spine and he dropped where he stood. He took a handful of shallow breaths and expired within 30 seconds of the first round hitting him. The two bullets found their spots, luckily no meat was spoiled and I had my first elk.

Those of you who read my last post from 2020 will know that I got into hunting by way of my uncle. In 2020, he and I went on a very special hunt together in Wyoming where we both got mule deer and pronghorns. Neither of us knew it then, but that was my uncles final hunting trip. He passed away this summer after a long battle with cancer. As I approached the elk, stood over him and got hands on his big body, I was overcome with emotion. Taking an animals life is always an emotional experience for me, I do not take it for granted. But this time was different. I was flooded with memories of my uncle, who acted in many ways as a father figure to me, and thankful for the incredible experience I had because of his love for hunting. I wish I could have called him in that moment, or have had him with me to share the experience, but I truly believe he was with me up above looking down over me with a smile.

By 7:55am on the 4th day of a 10 day hunt, I had my first bull elk down. After a bit of time to reflect, hug, cry, tell stories and take photos, Donny and I got to work. It was going to be a scorcher of a day, we had a big elk down and a herculean effort ahead of us to get the elk broken down and hiked out of there back to the truck (~2 miles away). Over the next 6.5 hours, we caped him out, stripped all the meat, had a small snack mountain side from the neck meat, and hiked all the meat and finally the antlers and cape about half way back to where we could get an ATV in to finish the pack out with some 6 wheeled help.

We spent the rest of the morning and afternoon going back, cleaning and getting the meat into a cooler. Then we rewarded ourselves with a cold brewski, sat back and enjoyed the rest of the day. that night, we grilled up the tenderloins and shared the meat with everybody in camp. The next day, we would be back at it, looking to help Jay get his bull next...more to come.

Elk Down.jpg

MrRogers

FNG
Congrats, buddy! Question for you. With flying, how did you get the cape and antlers home? I've debated doing a similar trip, but this is the only part that worries me.

OP
Jsuss

Jsuss

FNG
Congrats, buddy! Question for you. With flying, how did you get the cape and antlers home? I've debated doing a similar trip, but this is the only part that worries me.
I’m using a local taxidermist. They will ship when it’s done, so will come boxed/crated. Not the cheapest of options, but no other great solution

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoyed your story.
I'm from BC and don't live anywhere near open season for elk ...... But I have a Roosevelt Elk Bull draw finally after 4 Decades of applying.
Can't wait.

Congrats on your first Bull Elk .... It's an addictive hunt.

What a great experience you had. Beauty Bull !

Curious, what kind of money is a guided hunt like that