Broadhead choice for 2020

Hawgfan

FNG
Been killing whitetails for years with 100gr Spitfire Maxx. For a fixed blade I really like the Magnus Buzzcut.

Hey guys. I'm really struggling with choosing a head for this year. I have been looking at a bunch of different heads from coc single bevel all the way to the expandables. I have taken several deer with rage 2 blade heads (probably 90% of my kills) but have been following the trend of going to a more rugged coc head and it seems to make sense. I will be hunting mainly whitetails but am going on my first archery muley hunt in October. My dilemma is this - I have only lost one deer in 13 years with a rage 2 blade (hit above spine, non fatal hit with any head) so why switch? Some of these hits have been back more than I wanted but the rage still tore them up - I have never hit the front shoulder. I'm shooting a 60# bowtech reign with 520 grain TAW at around 250 fps. I am currently debating between the 125 cutthroat and the rage tryphan - I realize these are very different heads and each have their own benefits on different types of hits. I don't hear of a ton of members using the rage heads currently but maybe they are afraid of getting blasted by the more vocal fixed head group so they don't speak up?! I would love to hear your input on both heads for deer. I am thinking penetration will be more crucial with a longer shot on a mule deer (cutthroat) but at close range on a whitetail I feel like a big nasty hole would be better (tryphan). Maybe I should use a different head for each hunt but was thinking I'd like to stick to one head...
why not have both in the quiver? i'm not a mechanical guy, but i also don't deny they are pretty reliable these days... i also don't think there is one perfect head for every scenario.

1c4587ad69d8222629d164c0e43094fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It can happen with fixed too... I would rather have your failure than mine

Attachments

• 7B8E69F2-ECC7-45A9-9E76-6D7701A6D5AB.jpeg
    7B8E69F2-ECC7-45A9-9E76-6D7701A6D5AB.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 22

spedwards

FNG
I shot the iron wills in Africa last year. they are expensive, but have been able to either buy replacement blades or sharpen and reuse some of them. Great broad head for penetration.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Each broadhead type has its strengths and weaknesses. I tune my bow to use Grim Reapers Pro Series 1 3/8" and QAD Exodus.

I am lucky to have a 32" draw length, so I am ok giving a little energy for the head opening, but I am very confident in how the head flies for me., which is a big factor for me.

Plus it just creates an impressive wound channel.

I decided to switch things up this year and went with NAP Spitfires for Whitetail. They did great on the buck I shot last Friday morning. Slightly quartering away, complete pass through and really good blood trail.

jwhjwh54

FNG
Got two does with the muzzy one and it did great. Very happy with it. Going to try some VPA's just because