Broadhead choice for 2020

OP
180splitg3
Thanks for the advice so far. I'm not sure if I'm more or less confused now unfortunately. 🙂I agree that any head will do the job if I do my job on shot placement...

OP
180splitg3
Anyone care to share their experience with the cutthroats on whitetails? Seems like a lot of people who are shooting them are hunting larger game. Just looking for thoughts on blood trails, tissue damage on poor hits, etc...

Zac

WKR
Anyone care to share their experience with the cutthroats on whitetails? Seems like a lot of people who are shooting them are hunting larger game. Just looking for thoughts on blood trails, tissue damage on poor hits, etc...
Dude just buy some. If your mind can't let it go just pick up a 3 pack. You'll have them forever. It will vastly open up your shot opportunities, probably not a shot angle you couldn't take.

Scottyboy

WKR
I will be using iron will wides for bear in a few weeks and then for whitetail/mule deer/antelope a few weeks after that.

Dave3c

FNG
I will weigh in here with a broadhead that gets overlooked but has amazing penetration. Historically I fell into the Rage craze. I was all about them UNTIL I watched one deflect off the shoulder blade of an Ohio bruiser. From that day I spent the next year researching. There are a lot of good options but I settled on QAD Exodus. They are amazing. Penetration of those are off the charts compared to others. Seek One out of Atlanta just did a great video on broadheads. Check it out. Slick tricks and Muzzy are also good from what I hear. I do like the ability to just swap out to new blades with ease. No sharpening required. I hunt from Georgia to Colorado and haven’t had a single issue since switching. Just my two cents. Take it for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm carrying the rms cutthroat with sevrs thought being the cutthroat up first then if I need a follow-up the sevr if I want it to bleed more. They hit the same out to 60 haven't pushed them past that yet

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting tooth of the arrow 125 grain regular this year. I went back and fourth with three different broadheads this year and finally settled on these.

I’m personally shooting ViperTricks for elk and muleys this year, but also have a quite a few whitetail kills with Rage Hypos. I say stick with your Rage if you shoot them well. Tinker with a new head after the season.

It’s getting a little close for me to be swapping things up and the ViperTs are spot on with my fieldtips to 50 and I’ll be shooting them out to 100 soon to see where they drop off. But I spent a lot of time bareshaft tuning the bow so that most any broadhead would fly well from it.

Just another $.02

I’m running the rage no collar for as much as I can with slick trick vipers for if I just feel like it on my compound.

However, if I had money burning a hole in my pocket I’d be buying VPA 3 blades. I run VPA 2 blade heads through my trad bow and the blade retention, overall durability, and ease of sharpening are off the charts. I shot a pig through the shoulder and spinal column and all I had to do was touch up the blade. Shot another in the dirt and just had to run it over a strop a couple times. They’re hard to beat for the money.

OP
180splitg3
Thanks for the replies everyone. Just a heads up to anyone looking for heads - many are unavailable right now! I ended up buying a pack of VPA, 100 grain, non vented, three blade heads. After some research they looked like a good, durable head that people like. Hoping to get chance to use them on a doe (or buck) in September!

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve been shooting Thunderhead 100s since 1992. Point is, stay with what works for you and stop chasing the next greatest thing.

rodney482

WKR
Thanks for the replies everyone. Just a heads up to anyone looking for heads - many are unavailable right now! I ended up buying a pack of VPA, 100 grain, non vented, three blade heads. After some research they looked like a good, durable head that people like. Hoping to get chance to use them on a doe (or buck) in September!
Great head VPA is my choice for COC heads.

Dave3c

FNG
Just to reply based on actual results from this years elk hunt. This is a QAD Exodus (100 gr). Frontal shot. Buried up to the nock. Elk didn’t go 20 yds. No track job required. Shattered the first/second rib. Studied this shot for weeks. Doable shot with the right setup. Would have never tried this with an expandable blade.
e65b552e8627b4ec91a7f9279f39a7fc.jpg

Last edited:

PennDude

FNG
I shoot Rage Chisel Tip 2 blade for whitetail. I had some penetration issues on marginal shots, though I still like the heads. So I tried Tooth of the Arrow 100 grain 1” heads because I wanted to try a fixed blade cut on contact. TOTA are CNC machined from a single piece of high carbon steel. I shot a Sika last week and was really pleased with the wound. It looked like a square hole punch and “she didn’t go 20.” The TOTA fly like darts for me, probably due to their low profile and high concentration of weight within the center of the head. If it’s something you want to try, I can get you a $10 coupon code.6EBF7293-9A29-45B5-BB53-8A36F0767D06.jpeg

Man it’s really up to you. Whatever gives you the most confidence going to hunt.

cjdewese

WKR
The sheer number of different heads that were recommended should give you confidence in pretty much every head you might choose.

Try something new out, if you like it and don't have a reason to change don't. If something you have shot has given you less than desirable results then change it up and find something you like.

jdwerther

FNG
I was on the single bevel train for a while and didn't have great blood trails. My go to are QAD Exodus for anything. I'm an elk hunter primarily. They are bullet proof, cheap, superb flight out of a tuned bow, and great blood trails.

I’m running Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts 125g. Not real fancy, but with a total arrow weight of 603g they sure seem to make their way through. The blood trails even on pigs which don’t bleed a whole lot have been good. Best of luck. You’re gonna have to buy and fling a few to find something that works—-no silver bullets out there. Regardless of what the marketeers would like you to believe 😉