Broadhead choice for this year

sneaky

"DADDY"
I shoot Abowyer single bevel 200s. 30.5" draw at 65.5#. In the middle of testing arrows...What's your total weight and foc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've killed deer with Abowyer heads, but they are also the only single bevel heads that I've ever had snap points off on me. Aron and I had this discussion a month or so ago and his results mirrored mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Snagged some original 125gr strikers cheap off camofire so they’ll do this year. Probably give the solids or day six a try next year with elk on the menu.

I've killed deer with Abowyer heads, but they are also the only single bevel heads that I've ever had snap points off on me. Aron and I had this discussion a month or so ago and his results mirrored mine.

Let me guess, the high carbon ones? Yeah I’ve discussed that with Aron as well. Had one snap on an elk shoulder. Tested the stainless ones and blew through 2 deer legs with them and have yet to have one break with other tests. I’d stay away from the high carbons.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Let me guess, the high carbon ones? Yeah I’ve discussed that with Aron as well. Had one snap on an elk shoulder. Tested the stainless ones and blew through 2 deer legs with them and have yet to have one break with other tests. I’d stay away from the high carbons.

I'm staying away from Abowyers in general after those results. Too many great heads out on the market nowadays to deal with high failure rates.

I'm staying away from Abowyers in general after those results. Too many great heads out on the market nowadays to deal with high failure rates.

I agree. What you running this year? Thinking about D6 myself.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I agree. What you running this year? Thinking about D6 myself.

Last year I was running Cutthroats and 1 1/4 VPA 3 blades. Not sure about this year. I don't NEED to switch anything, but I can make any of them shoot good out of my recurve lol. The Valkyrie Blood Eagles are intriguing, as well as the Day Six... the IW... the Black Hornets... first world problems.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I have put the stainless Abowyers through some hell. Velocity out of the bow was 240 fps give or take. One completely breached the helment and came out almost as if it was new. The other one bent and the conclusion I could only come up with as to why is the hardness.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190619-145022.png
    Screenshot_20190619-145022.png
    552.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20190619-145038.png
    Screenshot_20190619-145038.png
    918.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20190619-145031.png
    Screenshot_20190619-145031.png
    644.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20190619-145446.png
    Screenshot_20190619-145446.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 41

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I got those mixed up with different heads. That is the same Abowyer broadhead. The other one broke at the weld when I shot it into the helmet. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of it.

Kilboars

WKR
My 0.2 cents

I've tried many fixed and mechanical broadheads over the years and I feel with so much going into training & practicing for bowhunting and the expense of away hunts I'm sold on the simple WASP 2-blade mechanical Jak-knifes.

Besides the fact that they fly so close to a field point that I don't even practice with them much and the design of the rubber band that keeps the blades closed is so durable that you can use it over and over again. The 2'' cut is just devastating and has saved me on more than a few hunts but my #1 reason has to be no exposed blades. I've had a few issues with fixed broadheads in the past that a simple mistake on my part or the part of another, has been the lose of much blood of ours and not to mention a few strings cut and the hunt ruined.

So I know you need to be careful etc etc but to me it's like rifle hunting with a bang-stick and one tap of the end of that rifle on anything and BAM!

Bottomline, to each his own but I just know myself when I'm out hunting and caught up in the moment I don't want to risk ruining the hunt or worse, because myself or a hunting partner forgot we're hunting with bang sticks.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My 0.2 cents

I've tried many fixed and mechanical broadheads over the years and I feel with so much going into training & practicing for bowhunting and the expense of away hunts I'm sold on the simple WASP 2-blade mechanical Jak-knifes.

Besides the fact that they fly so close to a field point that I don't even practice with them much and the design of the rubber band that keeps the blades closed is so durable that you can use it over and over again. The 2'' cut is just devastating and has saved me on more than a few hunts but my #1 reason has to be no exposed blades. I've had a few issues with fixed broadheads in the past that a simple mistake on my part or the part of another, has been the lose of much blood of ours and not to mention a few strings cut and the hunt ruined.

So I know you need to be careful etc etc but to me it's like rifle hunting with a bang-stick and one tap of the end of that rifle on anything and BAM!

Bottomline, to each his own but I just know myself when I'm out hunting and caught up in the moment I don't want to risk ruining the hunt or worse, because myself or a hunting partner forgot we're hunting with bang sticks.
That's fine for states where mechanicals are legal, but they aren't legal everywhere. Besides, a spare string is mandatory on any trip out of state!

Brendan

WKR
I'll be trying a Rage Trypan hopefully on a big bull, but I'll also have my Spitfires, GR Fatal Steels, and original Shuttle T's.
I will be running the Trypan as well (With SEVR and Iron Will Solid 100's as my backups).

Will be Mounted up on an Axis 5mm with the Iron Will Collars. Right now 505gr at 280 fps, weight will go up a little and speed down in turn..

MT257

WKR
I have used Ramcats for years. Not now though. Not a fan of the new ownership. I hate to see these good companies being bought out by large conglomerates. Seems as though many companies are these days. I bought some gravediggers to try back during turkey season. Shot a 200lb hog in Florida at 44 yards. After seeing the performance, i am switching to these for deer and elk as well. Great penetration and massive hole. Arrow ended up another 10-12 yards in the field after pass thru. I have always liked the ramcats, but they can be a pain in the ass to deal with while practicing, and quiver transport. I will post my results later in the season.

What did you dislike after the new owners took over?

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I will be running the Trypan as well (With SEVR and Iron Will Solid 100's as my backups).

Will be Mounted up on an Axis 5mm with the Iron Will Collars. Right now 505gr at 280 fps, weight will go up a little and speed down in turn..
I'm curious why shoot a rage over the Ironwill?

Kilboars

WKR
That's fine for states where mechanicals are legal, but they aren't legal everywhere. Besides, a spare string is mandatory on any trip out of state!

Good point.

Yes. I still travel with 2nd set of strings and cables with hand bow press.

So far, knock on wood I’ve never had to use them.

Brendan

WKR
I'm curious why shoot a rage over the Ironwill?
Mainly because shooting a 505 gr Arrow at 280 fps - I have good energy/momentum for a mechanical and I am betting on the cutting diameter of the Trypan being preferable to the penetration of the Iron Will for most shots.

Trypan is also fairly stout for a mechanical head.

TX_Diver

WKR
Probably stick with Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts.

I'm only hunting antelope and Ibex though so with more wind and potentially longer shots I MAY consider trying the new Rage NCs or a Trypan. I've had em in the cart a few times but haven't brought myself to pull the trigger yet...