Broadhead deliema???

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I love bear razorheads and I also love my interceptors. ???? Is which ones should I use for elk? Bears are 120gr interceptors are 150. They will be on Douglas fir shafts. Never shot anything bigger than a whitetail 50-55# bow.
Thanks Jason

ElkNut1

WKR
Both will take elk once razored up with proper shot impact! Personally, I would choose the slightly heavier Simmons Interceptor. Too, I like that it has a bigger cutting surface. Which ever I chose I would have the bleeders on & sharp, sharp, sharp! The bigger the wound channel the better your chances are for blood loss & better blood trailing!

ElkNut1

I use STOS 145 grain. They sharpen like a Razor blade as ElkNut states they should be. I only use a simple $5 device and make a couple strokes and its scary.

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Scary sharp isn't a problem for me. I know an elk is a big critter and understand shot placement just unsure if I should go light or heavy? I know that if you put it in the boiler either will work.

ElkNut1

WKR
With the weights you are referring too ( 120grn--150grn) you will see little to no difference in penetration at 30 yards & under. It takes a minimum of 75grns before you see any real world difference & even then it's minimal. The heavier head will offer more structure or beefier metal with the extra weight, choose your choice of head & weight where you are getting the best arrow flight! I would stick to around 490 grn to 550 grn total arrow weight with your intended draw weight of aprox 55# -- You will not need to have arrows heavier that this to get great penetration on elk.

ElkNut1

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
+1 to what Elknut1 says. Old school rule of thumb is 10 grains per lb of bow weight.
Rod

B

bearguide

i love the old bears/ i shoot magnus also and have had no trouble taking elk with either

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
+1 to what Elknut1 says. Old school rule of thumb is 10 grains per lb of bow weight.
Rod

9-12 grains per lb. I'm leaning toward the VPA 3blade 160 gr. Glue on using footed port orford shafts. Have always used Magnus 2 blade, or grizzlies, with no issues. I shoot a 64# pronghorn longbow currently.

horseshoe

FNG
after reading the reports by dr. ashby, i am trying a single bevel 2 blade head. for those poorer shot placements, the reported bone splitting ability and tendency to wrap up the internal organs may give the single bevel a little edge over the same blade in double bevel. i have not killed an animal with one but i am sold on the concepts. also the ones i have tried...grizzly and zwickey fly great too!

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot a few Whitetails with grizzlies they are great heads blood trails seemed a little thin and for some reason never got a pass through? Now with the Simmons I have killed two WT both pass troughs. And the size of the holes was awesome!!!! But the best blood trail ever came from a razorhead. A blind man could have found that trail!

horseshoe

FNG
yep, luv the old razor head too! never tried the interceptors or simmons...i like the heavier set-up as well. in the end, for me, it would be the set-up that you are most confident with and shoot the best.