broadhead flight

Mckinnon

WKR
Hey all, I feel like this is pretty basic but I am still a beginner with archery so please be patient with my ignorance. My broadheads are shooting good groups, great groups in fact, but are about 4 inches low than my fieldpoints, lower the nock loop or raise the rest right? which would you do first and why? I am shooting the 100 gr terminal t-locks if that helps... Thanks!

Lawnboi

WKR
Another thing to keep in mind is the distance your shooting. Although the head you chose dosnt have very much drag, at longer ranges some cause just enough drag to drop your arrow. Kind of like adding another set of fletchings to your arrow.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Lawnboi, this has been at 30 yds for the testing thus far... I dont think that is far enough to have a 4 inch effect like the one speak of at 30 yards. But as stated before I am pretty green as far as archery is concerned. thanks!

Lawnboi

WKR
Lawnboi, this has been at 30 yds for the testing thus far... I dont think that is far enough to have a 4 inch effect like the one speak of at 30 yards. But as stated before I am pretty green as far as archery is concerned. thanks!

thats definetly not enough distance for drag to really be that noticable.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
ok, thanks. So continue as planned, adjust rest height up till boradheads shoot with fieldpoints.......?

As Aron stated move the rest up first.

1. your peep is already set so I prefer to move my rest for impacts changes with broadheads so I don't need to move my peep later also (depending on the movement).

2. I believe that moving your rest will have a bigger impact on POI then moving your d loop.

If you have a slight nock high tear through paper when you put your broadheads on you will get a low impact. A slight bump in your rest to bring up your field points IMO is a better all around adjustment.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Before you start moving stuff around, have you paper tuned your bow? If not start there. Imperfect arrow flight can be magnified when you switch to broadheads.

Gman

WKR
I don't know much about archery, but I had the same type of mismatch broadhead to field tip flight. Paper tuned my bow -- which resulted in moving my rest quite a bit and slightly raising my d-loop. Now broadheads match field points out to 60 yards.....

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
I have only walk back tuned. Paper it is. I will try it this week sometime and post my results, thank so much guys!

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Well, After paper tuning my tear was way high, went to adjust it and after the correct adjustment the tear was higher! Took me and the guy at the shop quite a bit of time to nail down the problem was the rest, it was hostage and kept bumping the nock upwards, we think the nock was catching. Anyway, switched the rest out and got a good tear, now everything is just beautiful as far as broadhead and field point flight goes, now just have to make sure I do it all right! Thanks for the help everybody!

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
I know some people liked the hostage rest I had one for a bit but constanly had to fiddle or replace brushes. I put a ripcord on and havent had to change anything for the past year I shoot almost every evening through the winter and all hope your flight stays good. and good luck