Broadhead for elk

Scrappy

WKR
My broadhead completely flipped this guy upside down.

The bull in the above pic was my first elk so we all know I'm now an expert I know everything there is to know about elk. Just ask me I'll tell ya he he.

I killed my bull with the servr broadhead that is essentially the new ulmer edge. Ive shot Magnus buzzcuts for year and love them. The reason I switched for my elk was an old bow hunter on one of these forums made the statement about shooting a forgiving broadhead. So I went out in the back yard and started shooting my buzzcuts while having real sloppy form and sure enough I was able to get my arrow groups to start hitting all over the target. Field points would still group well.

Bottom line is make sure your broadhead will fly well even if your not executing good form.

On another note about arrow weight. A few weeks ago on another forum it was asked about your total arrow weight for elk. At least a 100 responses and the average was around 420. Really surprised a lot of folks.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I like a fixed head and shoot the Iron Will Heads because they are the best built heads I have found. Make sure whatever you choose, that it spins true and is scary sharp.

As others have said, make sure your bow/arrow combination are in tune, otherwise any head will fly like crap.
Only taking one bow on an out of state hunt is risky business, I have two of EVERYTHING when traveling out of state.
Good luck on your hunt and enjoy the process of preparation!

ElkNut1

WKR
Very true about lots of great heads these days one could choose! I've taken elk with at least a dozen different fixed & cut on contact heads. I shot Iron Will last year & will shoot them again this year for similar reasons Tony mentions. Great head & it's a true killer!

ElkNut/Paul

Gunnar19

FNG
Fixed blade on anything bigger than a whitetail. I shoot magnus snuffer ss, but there are several blades in that style that will fly true if your bow is tuned well.

i have used slick tricks and magnus stingers in the past with great success, picked up some QAD exodous heads a couple years ago and they are by far my favorite now. excellent flight, wicked scary crazy sharp, and they seem to hold an edge better than anything I've seen.

Ka88

FNG
I’m from the East coast as well and would offer the following based on my experience. We don’t face wind here that is common where I have hunted elk, mule deer and antelope in Montana and Wyoming. Where this becomes an issue with broad heads, is excessive wind drift. Staying with say a 1” Slick Trick with a good FOC on a heavy arrow, will make a difference in accuracy on longer shots or heavy wind, reduce the wind drift Practicing anytime you can in heavy wind in an open field will help you a lot as well. Good luck, it’s addicting hunting out West.

Okhotnik

WKR
I still cannot believe bow hunters still use mechanical heads. Never work 100 per cent of the time. Not good for quartering shots

No brained. COC broad head. Work 100

Okhotnik

WKR
I've used all sorts of broadheads over the years, but never have used an expandable so I have no valid input there. I value a "true" cut on contact broadhead more and more these days. They just work on elk.

For me, using a bow that doesn't have a ton of energy they have allowed me to shoot them at varying angles and I still get good penetration which is the name of the game on elk.

If you're shooting an arrow with decent weight, pretty fast, good energy, you can get away with Muzzy/Slick trick type heads without an issue.

My furthest shot on an elk is 33 yds and the majority have been sub 20 yds. This years cow and bull had a combined distance of less than 20 yds.

Lastly, just make sure you hit them good. They are the last animal you really want to "track". You have experience with Whitetails, so you know how tough they are on iffy shots. Elk are just as tough but bigger and live in rougher country. Don't give them a chance to show their toughness. Hit them solid, tight to the shoulder, and watch them fold.

It's the best feeling to simply walk over to them seconds after the shot.

Yep

I zipped through an elk with a heavy cedar arrow , magnus and a 55 lb long bow 172 FPS

Thanks for all the input guys.

My bow setup us 68#s at a 28.5" draw.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Watch some YouTube videos if you aren't familiar with tuning. Even if you don't have access to a press; it always good information to critique your skills. I recommend John Dudley videos (NockOn TV. Guy has taught me a lot and easily explains each scenario.