Broadhead for elk

Sharpspur

FNG
I am a fixed blade guy, shooting the Montecs CS, takes a bit to get them sharp as I want. They fly perfect and durable.

CorbLand

WKR
If your bow won't shoot a WacEm Triton, then you've got bow issues and not a broadhead issue. We shot just about every fixed blade head out there and they consistently shot the best out to 120. Up to about 60 most any head can work, but at longer distances it really separates the good from the bad. You probably won't shoot that far, but it gives you a good feeling to know that the head is capable. Are you going with an outfitter in Utah? No one on public land would tell you 15yds and under.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If he is hunting the limited entry archery elk season, it’s mostly going to be done sitting water, so he could get some pretty close shots. Overall, I would be ready to shoot 40-50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
If he is hunting the limited entry archery elk season, it’s mostly going to be done sitting water, so he could get some pretty close shots. Overall, I would be ready to shoot 40-50.

You lie. You would shoot 100-120 and hope for the best on an LE tag

CorbLand

WKR
You lie. You would shoot 100-120 and hope for the best on an LE tag

I would actually have to find the animal I have a tag for before I could do that.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m shooting Iron Will Solid 150gr. Expensive but with it.

Ron

I have been shooting the solid s30v heads for several years now. From my personal experience, they are worth every penny.
Those heads coupled with victory vap v3 shafts, 95grn ss outserts. My arrows finish at about 475 grains. I have had zero issues with penetration even when i made a poor shot, hitting both the shoulder and rib on the entry side.( I wouldn’t advise doing it on purpose )
For what it’s worth, i have harvested 3 bulls and a deer with the same head. They fly true out to 60 yards.
I have also had great results with slick trick and zwicky broadheads.

ElkNut1

WKR
Beendare has shared a lot of good info here. I'm along similar lines but do shoot 425 grains but would be a fan of up to 450 grains as well for my draw length & weight. FOC rules for myself, it's truly a godsend as it were. Iron Wills again for this year, damn good head!

ElkNut/Paul

Swede

WKR
Would everyone that has broadheads given them by the manufacturer please inform us, so we can know who is in essence getting paid for their "opinion"?

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 83951

Here is a picture of my 2018 elk killed with a Cyclone. I buy my broadheads at the same price anyone else can get them.

I bow hunt all over Montana and we tend to get a lot of wind on open hillsides and in the higher sub-alpine elevations. That being said, I currently carry 2 mechanical (Grim Reaper) and 2 fixed (Exodus) broadheads in my quiver for different wind scenarios. Fixed for when I’m in the trees (up close) with low wind and mechanicals are my go to for when I want to take a longer shot with any side wind (I sight in and practice with the field points that copy the mechanicals). My fifth broadhead in the quiver is normally a judo tip in order to shoot grouse and have myself some nice protein-packed lunches in the backcountry.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've shot em with muzzy 3 blades and Wac em 3 blade, both in 125 grain. I like the wac em better.

Grizz

FNG
I shoot magnus stingers for deer and elk. I've found them easy to tune and they're pretty affordable. I guess if you bend one they'll replace it no questions asked. No personal experience on that. I usually run them over a strop and they become shaving sharp.

I shoot Magnus black hornets. They're a great Broadhead and their warranty/customer service is awesome. I would definitely say Magnus broadheads are worth giving a try if your looking for a fixed blade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
Muzzy 3 blade 100gr, 1/3 of the price, cheap replacment blades, good size cut, and they kill. (30.00 a 6 pack) Enough said...

sneaky

"DADDY"
Last pack of those Muzzys I bought, I spun the pack of 6 and had like 2 straight ones. There's a reason they are that cheap.

jaximus

FNG
ive shot a lot of animals with magnus black hornets (no elk yet) and bonked a lot of dumb crap after passing through. they hold up really well. they confidently will fill my quiver when the time comes.