Broadhead for elk?

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been awhile since I’ve had an elk tag and it is looking like a fairly good chance for an Arizona elk tag. I usually shoot Easton axis 340 with a 125 grain tip, but I also have some new dca arrows that I’m trying with brass inserts. I’m curious if anyone has experience between cutthroat, kudu or northern broadheads? I do not have iron will money so I’m checking on some alternatives. Any help and suggestions are appreciated!!!

dkime

WKR
All three of the heads that you listed are responsible for a large amount of death around these parts. I don't have experience with them but in no way would I doubt their performance.

Beendare

WKR
The heads you mention are very close to the VPA's at up to 1/3rd the dough...might be worth a look.

Its worth mentioning; the style head you are looking at is very effective and an extreme penetrator. I lose a few here and there on the other side of animals [burrowing in the dirt, etc] thus, I'm not going to shoot a $50 BH.

VPA is time tested, very good steel, holds an edge well and with the right technique, easy to sharpen for multiple uses. About the only downside is the carbon steel versions will rust if you leave blood on them or store them in a wet quiver for an extended time. They now make a SS version. Magnus makes a darn good head too- about the best cheap head on the market, IMO.

I've been shooting the VPA's for many years and really like the carbon steel....in fact just shot my 3rd or 4th animal with the exact same head before Christmas...just touch it up and back in the quiver.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
Kudus shoot like bullets from my bow and penetrate great. 50 gr insert and 125 Kudus for 500 gr arrow.

TBarron

WKR
+1 on Kudu heads killed 13 different species with these this year. 576g arrow. Went to Africa and got full pass through on an Eland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
This past season I shot the 100 gr Widowmaker from Black Widow Innovations. I'm shooting 70 lb Bowtech REALM, 3" draw, 100 grain head, total arrow weight of 400 grains, with a speed right around 293 fps

Every year I shoot at least one elk and most years I shoot two elk. I don't understand why people push their arrow weights up to 500 grains or above. I would rather have a bit more speed so if I misjudge the yardage my shot placement isn't off much.

BTW, my 400 grain setup gets pass throughs unless I hit the off side shoulder or leg. When it hits the off side leg it breaks the leg bone most of the time

4dcfries

FNG
i used to have some Iron will 125's that I don't use (I use the 100's). If I can find them I am happy to let you have them at the price you would pay for the other heads...I have to say the I will never use anything else at this point since the heads did an amazing job for me.

Kudu is hard to beat. Fly great, price is reasonable do the job on elk. I ditched iron will, just could not pay that price and went to kudu point.

There's some really good broadhead tests online that included kudu, including born and raised outdoors on YouTube and 225nontypical on at. You might want to look at those before you commit to any specific broadhead.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
At the end of the day, all broadheads will kill elk. It's a balance of durability, function and accuracy. A certain broadhead needs all three. I think for me, I have to have confidence on first hitting where I aim, then as much penetration and tissue damage as possible. Re usability is third and less important. But the absolute most important is confidence.

lots of good heads, I think the kudu has the best edge retention in it's price range. I like them. VPA are great too, easy to sharpen and tough. don't hold an edge as well as kudu, and rust easily, but a great head for the money.

I have never shot them, but the QAD exodus seems like a pretty solid choice for that type of head, it has had a lot of praise over the years.

i'm not a fan of the Northern design, but i'm sure they are fine.

if you like the magnus stinger style head, the German Jager is a great head, it's a sleeper. tougher head with better edge retention. you can find them at Kustom King archery.... very under rated head for that style.

steel force makes some totally adequate heads too. Cutthroats are obviously a solid choice, but I have not used them due to their reports of rusting too easily, like I said, VPA rust too easily for me, and I have heard cutthroats are worse, but I live on the coast, so I have an issue most don't with the environment I hunt. I had VPA and iron will in my quiver last year, the iron wills held up good, and the VPA were constantly rusting, even oiling them every couple days and having to touch up the edge for surface rust... iron will held up perfect with a little bit of being proactive... but you certainly don't NEED iron wills to kill an elk.

you should take a look at the German Jagers from kustom king, I have tested them, and they fit the bill for your needs, and are well below what I would expect them to cost.

the kudu heads are great, but I don't think they are a great single bevel design, I think that design would be better suited for a double bevel. it doesn't matter in practical terms, I just hate pulling single bevels from the target

dla

WKR
At the end of the day, all broadheads will kill elk.

Back in the days of covered wagons and dinosaurs, that statement was largely true. Arrow speeds were not much over 200fps. But at some point arrow speeds started pushing 300fps, and some broadheads designs would just snap in two on impact. And that is why the long aluminum ferrule multi-blades aren't popular.

I hunted with Muzzy 4 blade when my arrow speed was 240fps. When my arrow speed jumped up to 290fps, the long ferrule couldn't handle the yaw stress. I had an Elk where 2 of 3 arrows, tipped with Cabelas Muzzy lookalikes, didn't penetrate very far because the broadheads broke apart (fortunately the 1st arrow spined it so it wasnt going anywhere).

So the short steel ferrule is the rule for me.

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all of the info!!! I narrowed it down to the kudu or vpa at this point. How are the kudu points for sharpening?

TheCougar

WKR
i used to have some Iron will 125's that I don't use (I use the 100's). If I can find them I am happy to let you have them at the price you would pay for the other heads...I have to say the I will never use anything else at this point since the heads did an amazing job for me.
I’ll take one of those, if you ever find them. I’ve wanted to try one and see how it flies.

This past season I shot the 100 gr Widowmaker from Black Widow Innovations. I'm shooting 70 lb Bowtech REALM, 3" draw, 100 grain head, total arrow weight of 400 grains, with a speed right around 293 fps

Every year I shoot at least one elk and most years I shoot two elk. I don't understand why people push their arrow weights up to 500 grains or above. I would rather have a bit more speed so if I misjudge the yardage my shot placement isn't off much.

BTW, my 400 grain setup gets pass throughs unless I hit the off side shoulder or leg. When it hits the off side leg it breaks the leg bone most of the time

What’s your draw length?

ofl0926

WKR
So what’s the verdict?
I’m looking for a broad head myself. Especially since I am only a 27.5 draw, I would like something tough

Beendare

WKR
I've seen these Jagers at KK and was reluctant to test....but since Roosie likes them I might give them a whirl since they are so cheap like the Buzzcuts I also like.

Just for fun;
Here's a test of the Jagers and the original Silver flames. I probably should warn the hardcore single bevel guys that drank the Ashby Koolaid and were told that double bevels don't break bone [Ha!] or that they need a 650gr arrow to break bone....grin

WARNING: this guy shoots through a cow bone repeatedly with 2 blade double bevel BH's and 460gr arrows...one I think he says is shot from his wifes bow.....

Last edited:

MtnOyster

WKR
I've seen these Jagers at KK and was reluctant to test....but since Roosie likes them I might give them a whirl since they are so cheap like the Buzzcuts I also like.

Just for fun;
Here's a test of the Jagers and the original Silver flames. I probably should warn the hardcore single bevel guys that drank the Ashby Koolaid and were told that double bevels don't break bone [Ha!] or that they need a 650gr arrow to break bone....grin

WARNING: this guy shoots through a cow bone repeatedly with 2 blade double bevel BH's and 460gr arrows...one I think he says is shot from his wifes bow.....
Pretty tough heads........

Sobrbiker

WKR
I’m hoping I’ll have a shot at archery elk here in AZ this year as well.
I run 63# w/28” draw. Current stock has 125gr exodus on a 300 spine for ~450gr total weight at about 255fps.
I’m thinking of going to a 75gr insert instead of the 22gr aluminum’s I have to put my weight at 500ish.
If I go that route I’m pretty sure I’ll be testing flight with some Magnus Black Hornets and save the exodus for OTC Coues or Muleys.

I’m hoping I’ll have a shot at archery elk here in AZ this year as well.
I run 63# w/28” draw. Current stock has 125gr exodus on a 300 spine for ~450gr total weight at about 255fps.
I’m thinking of going to a 75gr insert instead of the 22gr aluminum’s I have to put my weight at 500ish.
If I go that route I’m pretty sure I’ll be testing flight with some Magnus Black Hornets and save the exodus for OTC Coues or Muleys.

My setup is similar. 26.5” at 62#. Running a 27” 300 spine 6mm axis with 75 grain insert and 125 grain head but may bump up the insert 25 grains or Broadhead to get to 525 grains total