Broadhead Help

ndbuck09

WKR
Here's what I show for your shafts. I've shot arrows that have fallen into the yellow weak side like that and had them shoot ok with fixed heads but it took careful tuning and cam syncing.

OP
B

BlckBeard

FNG
I really appreciate you doing this! I talked to the guys at Black Eagle and they thought I might be underspined too. I tried shooting 100 gr heads to see if they performed better and they did. I just lowered my draw weight down to 69-70 lbs to further stiffen the arrows and see how that works. Any thoughts there?

Thank you for your help!

Here's what I show for your shafts. I've shot arrows that have fallen into the yellow weak side like that and had them shoot ok with fixed heads but it took careful tuning and cam syncing.
View attachment 118689

Btaylor

WKR
I really appreciate you doing this! I talked to the guys at Black Eagle and they thought I might be underspined too. I tried shooting 100 gr heads to see if they performed better and they did. I just lowered my draw weight down to 69-70 lbs to further stiffen the arrows and see how that works. Any thoughts there?

Thank you for your help!

Might could have added a lighted nock combined with the switch to 100 grain heads to gain enough dynamic spine increase before dropping draw weight. Would have gained some stiffness at basically the same TAW. If you still needed a little more stiffness then drop draw weight by 5 pounds and check it.

KHNC

WKR
Hope it all works out. Seems a waste to have to change to 100gr heads after buying 6 of the 125 IW's. Very expensive change! Good luck this season, sounds like you are on the right track now.

OP
B

BlckBeard

FNG
What do you guys think about vanes? I'm wondering if the Bronco Vanes aren't tall enough. COnsidering switching to a taller vane or possibly a 4 fletch with the Broncos?

OP
B

BlckBeard

FNG
Looks like there is some good advice on this thread already but here are my two cents. Most customers say our broadheads shoot really well for them, but here are some potential issues to look out for:

Fletch is too small. Broadheads add drag to the front of your arrow, so you need more drag at the back of your arrow to maintain stability. Very small target fletchings may not work well. Something the size of Blazer Vanes or AAE Max Hunter or Max Stealth work well.

Straight Fletch. You want your arrow to spin to add stability and resist moving off track. I recommend at least 2 degrees helical or offset.

Under spined. This will cause excessive flexing of the arrow at the shot and can make broadheads fly poorly. I recommend optimal spine or slightly stiff.

FOC too low. Increasing FOC will increase stability. I personally like the 12-16% range.

Bow grip torque. Have someone take a video over your shoulder of you shooting to see what the bow and arrow are doing at the shot. You can also pick up tuning issues this way like the arrow fish-tailing. The slow motion videos work pretty well on newer phones.

Bow tuning (arrow not coming straight out of bow). I paper tune to get a bullet hole at about 12 feet. I then also shoot a bare shaft and a fletched shaft at 20 & 30 yards and make adjustment as needed to get them to hit close the same spot with the shafts parallel.

Also, some find our vented blades to be more forgiving than our solid blades. This makes sense that reduced surface area could help somewhat with the above issues. I just came inside from shooting good 100 yard groups with two s125 broadheads and two field points in a cross wind, so I'm confident they can be shot well.. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Hi Bill,
Curious what your thoughts are on switching to a taller vane or a 4 fletch? I'm using the Bohning Bronco Vane (same as previous X-Vane) in a 3 fletch, 3 degree right helical. Thanks!

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi Bill,
Curious what your thoughts are on switching to a taller vane or a 4 fletch? I'm using the Bohning Bronco Vane (same as previous X-Vane) in a 3 fletch, 3 degree right helical. Thanks!

Those are 4 inches long and 0.5 inches high correct? That should be fine with a 3 degree helical.