Broadhead help

Gonz406

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice on a broadhead that'll fly in the ball park of my field points. With my new set up, my muzzys aren't cutting it. I'm shooting a 450 gr arrow, any help is appreciated.

Dave3c

FNG
QAD Exodus. Switched from Rage and couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
I'm an archery rookie...so take with a grain of salt.

I went with Iron will based of previous forum posts saying they fly with field points.

My result, shooting 1 broadhead and 4 field points...all grouping together with no tuning for the broadhead, archers MOA.

Very happy.

They recommend a helical and some decent sized vanes. I'm shooting 125 solids with AAE max stealth and they fly great.

Last edited:
OP
Gonz406

Gonz406

Lil-Rokslider
Tried that, but my field point grouping is off when I tuned it to my broadheads. I want to be able to hit the same spots with both.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Properly tuned, they will both group together no matter what head is on there. If you want to hit the same spot with both, you either need to properly tune (or have it done for you) or switch to a mechanical head. I’d suggest having the bow tuned. You could end up with penetration issues with a poorly tuned setup and any brand of mechanical.

Ac338

WKR
Agreed with what was said above. I wouldn't by new heads to get around a bow that isn't tuned. Look into broadhead tuning and make very small rest adjustments until fp and bh point of impact is the same. Shoot a group of field points then a couple broadheads. Move your rest towards the broadheads in small 1/16 or so increments. Eventually your fp should have the same poi as your by. Don't adjust your sight while doing this. I start at 20 then work out to my max range. A big target is nice if they are that far off.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

WKR
QAD Exodus and Magnus stingers both fly with my field points to 70. (450gr total weight, but I’m 60#/28”DL shooting 255fps).
If your speed’s significantly faster (285+) the fixed points might give you fits (so I’ve heard from my long draw 70/80# friends.

Rob5589

WKR
Not a Muzzy fan but, they should fly fine if the bow is in tune, shafts and heads are perfectly square to one another, and they spin true.

Zac

WKR
Agreed with what was said above. I wouldn't by new heads to get around a bow that isn't tuned. Look into broadhead tuning and make very small rest adjustments until fp and bh point of impact is the same. Shoot a group of field points then a couple broadheads. Move your rest away from the broadheads in small 1/16 or so increments. Eventually your fp should have the same poi as your by. Opposite of the way you adjust your sight. Don't adjust your sight while doing this. I start at 20 then work out to my max range. A big target is nice if they are that far off.
I couldn't figure out what away meant, but you want to move your rest in the same direction as the broadheads are flying. If your broadheads are hitting left that means you have a right tear, or that in flight your vanes are kicking to the right with your point kicking left. You would move your rest towards the point and away from the vanes. A bare shaft with a right tear is going to fly to the left exactly the same as a fletched shaft with a broadhead. Again this is a right tear, and you would move your rest to the left. This is essentially what people are doing when they bring their fletched, and bare shaft together. Creating the same impact point for both. Here is a great guide. Use the bare shaft method for tuning your broadheads.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Tried that, but my field point grouping is off when I tuned it to my broadheads. I want to be able to hit the same spots with both.

If you move you rest to get them to group together, they will all be off point of aim-that’s normal in getting them to group together by moving rest.
You do that first, then adjust your sight.

After that’s done, you can check by shooting into a foam target that the shafts are all parallel to the line from bow to target, if the nocks are not pointing directly back to your shooting position you know you have just bandaided a poorly tuned bow, and only you can decide if that’s “good enough” and hunt with it, or start back from square one tune (or have bow tuned) properly.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

WKR
And if you had to move your rest more than 1/8” to get the FP’s and BH’s together, your bow is most likely not tuned to begin with.

Ac338

WKR
I couldn't figure out what away meant, but you want to move your rest in the same direction as the broadheads are flying. If your broadheads are hitting left that means you have a right tear, or that in flight your vanes are kicking to the right with your point kicking left. You would move your rest towards the point and away from the vanes. A bare shaft with a right tear is going to fly to the left exactly the same as a fletched shaft with a broadhead. Again this is a right tear, and you would move your rest to the left. This is essentially what people are doing when they bring their fletched, and bare shaft together. Creating the same impact point for both. Here is a great guide. Use the bare shaft method for tuning your broadheads.
Thanks for clarifying. After rereading i said it backwards ill edit to avoid confusion thanks.

Reactions: Zac

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
As others have stated, you must tune your bow to get fixed broadheads to fly with your field tips (occasionally you will get lucky and not have to tune, but that's occasionally). That being said, some are easier than others. The tooth of the arrow is a well built durable head, that has been one of the very easiest I've ever tuned for. They'll be in my quiver this elk hunt. They are dead nuts with my field tips to 80 yards. I've easily shot one of my tooth of the arrow broadheads, 300+ times into my broadhead target. I'll be honest and say that I've missed the target, in the beginning at longer distances, and it's been in the dirt and rocks. I wouldn't be scared to sharpen it, and put it in my quiver. Plus, you can order just one from them to see if they'll work from you. I love that idea, and wish more broadhead companies would do the same.

bwlacy

WKR
Make sure your Muzzy's are spinning good. I've noticed with Muzzy's that sometimes the screw on tip doesn't spin straight. Keep swapping heads around on different arrows until you find the ones that spin good.

Then start the tuning process. If they don't spin good you'll be chasing them all over the place.