Broadhead options for deep six - skinny shafts.

Hunthigh1

WKR
I recently had some Easton FMJ injections built to compare to my 5mm FMJ's. I hope they will improve my penetration and group size.

I know the biggest downfall of these arrows is the limited options for broadheads.

I do not want to add an outsert. It seems to me that to achieve the most benefit from these arrows in wind resistance and penetration performance i would not want my broadhead shaft wider than the arrow.

What are the best deep six fixed blade broadheads? I hear good things about ram cat- but not sure I like the design. . .

(I hunt in Idaho, so mechanicals are not legal)

Thanks for the opinions.

I thought about going that route, until I read about the GT Pierce PLATINUM. I think i am going that route so I don't have to worry about the limited broad heads out there for the Deep Six.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Abowyer has some excellent Deep Six sized Broadheads.

Last edited:
I have deep six injexions and use the QAD exodus. First and only deep six I tried. I've got them to fly right with field tips out to 80 yards and they come out of the box scary sharp and they seem to stay sharp better than any other broadheads I've used. I didn't get a shot on an elk this year but the two whitetails I shot both dropped within 60 yards. I use the 330's at about 28.5" with a 100 grain exodus 455 grains out if my carbon spyder turbo. I think it's a wicked setup.

Pramo

WKR
I've read a bunch of reviews and going to try the deep six Exodus in the next few weeks with some injexions. I just built 6 Platinum pierce 300's and I don't like the outsert system. For skinny shafts I'm thinking Deep six is the way to go even if it does mean buying some new broadheads.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Ok, I will probably give the QAD exodus and the Ramcats a try.

What is the primary difference in the swept vs non swept blade QAD? Will the swept blade hold up consistently on elk, bear, moose?

Whisky

WKR
I have tried Slick Tricks, Exodus and Muzzy Trocars. Trocars are what I use because for me they flew far better then the other two. But any of those 3 are good heads and I'd suggest to buy a couple different ones and see what works...

Oddly enough I have some Slicks and 2 Exodus heads for sale I'd cut you a deal on

Ramcats! Awesome broadhead. I have 2 packs of the deep 6 ramcats model if your interested. I ended up switching back from deep 6.

Under idaho's laws I believe the ramcat and swept QAD would both be illegal due to being classified as barbed, correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but because the ramcat bladescan pivot forward that cannot be barbed. So i would guess they can't
Be considered barbed

Manosteel

WKR
I used DRT's with my Deep Six arrows this year. They flew great and anchored a monster 6x6 elk and a giant moose for me. Very impressed. I went with them on a whim and mainly because they looked a lot like the SOLID BH I have used the year before (with great results). I will continue using the DRT's.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Under idaho's laws I believe the ramcat and swept QAD would both be illegal due to being classified as barbed, correct?

Here is what the regulations state.
It is illegal to pursue big game animals with:
With arrows or bolts having expanding broadheads.

With arrows or bolts having barbed broadheads, which is
a broadhead with any portion of which forms an angle less
than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule.

hmmm, does this disqualify ramcats?

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR

Backcountry, after some online research on IDFG site and elk 101. I believe you are right. Neither of these broadheads are legal in Idaho.

Here is another link Ramcat broadheads legal in idaho in 2014/15? | Idaho Fish and Game

Glad you mentioned this, saved me $80+!

So, now I am still looking for a couple great Deep six fixed blades that are idaho legal. . . bummed because i really like the design of the QAD.

Thinking of trying the Wac Em 3 Blade.

Any other suggestions?