Broadhead Questions - new to trad

I've been hunting with a compound for 6 years now and have killed 7 deer using many types of broadheads. The first buck I shot was with a mechanical schwacker. The bh passed through, but the arrow didn't completely. The buck died quick, but i prefer two holes. After that experience I started shooting fixed blades for better penetration and durability. I have I've gotten pass through since, I've used 4 blades (slick trick standard and magnum) and 2 blades with bleeders (slick trick viper trick and ironwill wides). I'm shooting a 64 pound bow with a 468 grain arrow. I just started shooting a light recurve and hope to hunt next year with it with 50 pound limbs. I've been watching lots of YouTube videos on traditional bowhunting and from what I've been seeing most folks are not getting and exit hole. What's the deal?

I've asked some folks on Instagram like aron snyder, the push guys and others about setups and they say a 45 to 50 pound bow with a 500 plus grain arrow. What do you'll think? Should I shoot a 2 blade or 3 blade? What about single bevel? What is the optimal setup for deer? I've been looking at rms gear heads, vpa, and ironwill. I'm completely new to trad and it's very different then what I'm used to. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 🙌

Really any of those options for whitetail would be completely fine. Anything between 40-50 lbs and a weight of 10 GPP, you should get two holes no problem. Single bevel get more penetration, but lack blood trails. 2 blade double bevels will penetrate good as well as a 3 blade.

If I can recommend anything, listen to Kifarucast with Aron and The Trad Lab. They cover most of these things. Most penetration problems come from hitting heavy bone, or the animal actually whirling.

I know tons of guys shooting between 40-45 lbs getting complete pass throughs on whitetails, including myself. Razor sharp broadheads and shot placement is all that matters. I hope that helps.

45-50 lbs is way enough to shoot animals in North America. any of the three broadheads you listed are good heads. like stated above razor sharpened and shot placement is key. Ive shot 2 and 3 blades forever have several of them for diffenet setups

one thing to consider is how your going to shoot 3under vs split sometimes people cant focus with a two blade head on the end of the arrow and are more accurate with a smaller 3 blade. Ive been fortunate enough to not have that problem

Titan_Bow

WKR
When my son shot his first archery deer, I think I had his little compound dialed down to somewhere mid 30 pound range if that. It was crazy lightweight, but that was what he was really comfortable shooting, and I knew from years of shooting slow selfbows and longbows, that compound was still throwing a faster cast than things I had hunted with previously. When he shot his first deer, probably about a 400gr. arrow and Muzzy Phantom, it was a complete passthrough, arrow poking out the far side. The deer ran about 40 yards and piled up. I post this to demonstrate, a good quality cut on contact head (and you DONT have to spend 20 or 30 dollars a piece for one!!!) will penetrate well and usually give you complete passthroughs with good shot placement, regardless what poundage your bow is.
I think the keys are, NUMBER 1, PERFECT Arrow flight. I hear so much talk about what broadhead, what bow, what poundage, etc. but people need to focus on perfecting arrow flight number 1. Key NUMBER 2 is a hefty arrow. Dont need to buy into all the extreme FOC talk or anything like that, but have a good hefty 10-12 gpi arrow. This will aid in penetration, but it will also produce a quiet bow. This can be crucial on deer recovery. I have shot deer with whisper quiet longbows, had the arrow zip through the deer, and they simply walk off and collapse within site. I am convinced that the quietness of my bow was a big factor in that. Key NUMBER 3 is a razor sharp, cut on contact head. You dont have to go buy Iron Wills to be successful here. Zwickeys, Magnus, Muzzy Phantoms, etc, will kill all day long, dont listen to the hype. If the tip rolls on my Zwickey, its usually after the arrow has passed through the animal and I am pulling it out of the dirt behind them when I notice! Learning how to sharpen them however, is vital. Getting that hair shaving sharp edge cannot be overlooked.
With these 3 things, I think anyone whose done the practice, and can repeatedly put that arrow where they want and where it needs to go, is going to be successful on deer, elk, or any other animal in North America.

Joeys first deer.JPG

cocky84

WKR
I shoot a 50lb recurve with 575 finished arrow. 150 4 blade magnus stingers. Ive had complete pass through on all deer except 1 where i hit opposite shoulder.

Id just look for a broadhead that you can sharpen easily.

Perfect arrow flight and sharp broadheads are what really more than anything. Other than shot placement obviously.

My bow is 48@28 and I am drawing 27-27.5. I am using a 565g BE Rampage with dirt nap 2 blades and bleeders and 3 blade cutthroats and Montecs. I have had a pass through with every arrow I've sent on whitetail. Sharp heads need very little SLG to pas through ribs and meat. If you hit the scapula I think'd you'd still be fine. Just get sharp heads and hit em in the right spot.

I've been at this a while - hunting almost exclusively trad gear since the late 80's. The past 15 years or so I've been shooting 50-52# and using two blade Magnus heads, file sharpened, because they just plain work. I've tried 3 and 4 blade heads of many different varieties, and I used to shoot more weight. But I've learned there is very little a 50# recurve can't do with a good 2 blade file-sharpened head. It's a combo that punches well above it's weight class so to speak. Things just go down fast.

The key to all this of course is great shot placement and a well tuned arrow. That will give you two holes, and an easy and short blood trail.

Before I had any clue what I was doing, I used a 45 pound selfbow and a way, way too light arrow topped with a Zwickey, and blew through a doe at 10 yard. It can be done with a light bow and sharp broadhead (which is why I think I got the pass through that I did).

Complete pass through on whitetails, hogs and turkey with a 42 pound longbow with Magnus two blade heads. Well tuned arrow and scary sharp heads. For ME. hogs are a different story, not as easy.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
As stated by several before the key to penetration is
1. Putting the arrow where it needs to go
2. Good arrow flight
You don’t get either without proper tuning and disciplined practice/form.

Boydo90

FNG
I got my first trad kill this year on a nice 140" buck. I was using a 47# Black Widow with a 2 blade magnus. Total arrow weight was 495 grains. I did not get a pass through which surprised me. Next year I am going to have a slightly heavier arrow. Not sure if that was my problem but I feel like it couldnt hurt

ledflight

WKR
The Push podcast just did a multi episode season recap with TradLab and will tell you all you want to know and more about field experience from trad kills.
The short review is put something sharp it where it counts and the equipment is fine. The OP's choices all do fine in this study.

Btaylor

WKR
The Push podcast just did a multi episode season recap with TradLab and will tell you all you want to know and more about field experience from trad kills.
The short review is put something sharp it where it counts and the equipment is fine. The OP's choices all do fine in this study.
That series has been interesting to listen too.

I've been hunting with a compound for 6 years now and have killed 7 deer using many types of broadheads. The first buck I shot was with a mechanical schwacker. The bh passed through, but the arrow didn't completely. The buck died quick, but i prefer two holes. After that experience I started shooting fixed blades for better penetration and durability. I have I've gotten pass through since, I've used 4 blades (slick trick standard and magnum) and 2 blades with bleeders (slick trick viper trick and ironwill wides). I'm shooting a 64 pound bow with a 468 grain arrow. I just started shooting a light recurve and hope to hunt next year with it with 50 pound limbs. I've been watching lots of YouTube videos on traditional bowhunting and from what I've been seeing most folks are not getting and exit hole. What's the deal?

I've asked some folks on Instagram like aron snyder, the push guys and others about setups and they say a 45 to 50 pound bow with a 500 plus grain arrow. What do you'll think? Should I shoot a 2 blade or 3 blade? What about single bevel? What is the optimal setup for deer? I've been looking at rms gear heads, vpa, and ironwill. I'm completely new to trad and it's very different then what I'm used to. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 🙌
Been around this block many times over the past 30+ years. 3 blades just don't penetrate as well as 2 blades, and a properly sharpened (I file sharpen mine by hand) 2 blade will penetrate like mad and leave plenty of blood on the ground. Quickest kills I get consistently are with a file sharpened 2 blade head. Don't doubt their effectiveness. They work.