Broadhead tuning help with Iron Will 100g solids.

Zac

WKR
I'll add to this even though I'm a little late. I'm working on arrows for next year and ordered AAE hybrids 26 to shoot 3 blade VPA's. I shoot 4 fletch with as much offset as I can get with the Bitz unfortunately the AAE Hybrids will not work with the VPA's with my setup. I tried an arrow with Vanetec 3.0 V-Max in the same configuration and they fly great to 50 yards. The size is almost identical but the Vanetecs are a little stiffer so I'm guessing it stabilizers better/quicker. I really wanted the AAE to work but I'll use them for 3d courses. If I could get 4" vanes to work with my rest I would use some. I don't think there's such a thing as to much vane when it comes to broadheads.
Interesting, I wonder if Max Stealth's would work. You should be able to use as long a vane as you'd like. Most longer vanes are not as tall.

JayTx

FNG
I've heard they are a little stiffer than the Hybrids so they may. But honestly I don't want to mess with the pin and special glue on the Maxs. To my ears these Vanetecs V-Max are quieter than the hybrid as well.

I've had problems with vane clearance on this bowtech experience over the years with QAD rests. This is the 3rd or 4th I've lost count. I'm not getting any vane contact with these 3" Vanetecs now but on the previous QAD rest I was. This is actually a loner rest from when my shop sent the QAD rest "designed" for bowtechs back because we couldn't even get a short low profile vane to clear. I told the shop I'll just keep this one it was hunting season and I was tired of jacking with rests.

Reactions: Zac

nphunter

WKR
I think it’s a fletching issues, if the OP is shooting a pro max they are too small. I shoot 6 PM2.0’s and they will stabilize my IWS100’s but I built the arrows for expandables.
If the OP is shooting max hunters those are tall and prone to fletching contact, I would imagine those in a four fletch would be worse. Small amounts of fletching contact can be hard to see and really effect flight with a broadhead but wound be noticeable with field tips unless it really bad. I’ve bareshaft tuned perfectly, shot field tips awesome and as soon as I put on a BH they are all over the place, most of the time that is from fletching contact caused by tall fletchings or a rest out of time.
IMO max stealths are a better option due to the shorter profile and if a person really wants a fletch that makes and arrow fly great it’s really hard to beat a NAP Quikspin.

Franger

FNG
Bill and his team say their field points are designed (computational fluid dynamics) to fly like the broadheads. If that’s true, and my bow is tuned well (I think it is), the difference between three Max Hunter’s, three Max Stealths, and four Pro Max’s was pretty small. Out to 50 yards. After that, the drop from the Max Hunter’s was noticeable but the group size remained pretty constant between the three.

I know Dudley thinks that four Max Stealth’s is the answer for hunting, but I can’t stand that bottom fletch contacting my arrow rest. Three Stealths seemed like enough to me. 🤷‍♂️

I smeared wife’s tan lipstick on the bottom right vane (cock vane up) when testing the Max Hunters. The Mathews V3‘s “revolutionary“ centerguard cable retention thingy looks really tight on anything taller than 0.5in, but no lipstick to be found on the bow.

The highly calibrated ear picked up the Stealth the least, with a three fletch Max Hunter and a four fletch Pro Max essentially negligible.

Bottom line, I’m not comfy using the Pro Max when the Stealth and Hunter are available and solid performers. In the backyard, my form is really solid. When the heart‘s racing and Big Hank is staring you down at full draw, stabilization is what I want/need. I think your vanes are the issue.

Zac

WKR
I've switched to 4 Blazer profile Tac vanes after listening to Kyle Douglas talk about it for a while. Steers broadheads Incredibly well. However it probably sounds like a missle going through the air.

Franger

FNG
I've switched to 4 Blazer profile Tac vanes after listening to Kyle Douglas talk about it for a while. Steers broadheads Incredibly well. However it probably sounds like a missle going through the air.
To this day I still swear that these animals are jumping when the bow goes “thonk”. I shoot heavy arrows, have all the vibration and silencing paraphernalia, and at 30 yards I still hear the thing go “thonk” when I shoot.

All that to say, to me, vane sound ain’t it. Dozens of vids where an elk jumps at the shot and they end up dead. If I’m lucky enough to get to a place where an elk can jump the string, that’s a good day.

Zac

WKR
To this day I still swear that these animals are jumping when the bow goes “thonk”. I shoot heavy arrows, have all the vibration and silencing paraphernalia, and at 30 yards I still hear the thing go “thonk” when I shoot.

All that to say, to me, vane sound ain’t it. Dozens of vids where an elk jumps at the shot and they end up dead. If I’m lucky enough to get to a place where an elk can jump the string, that’s a good day.
Yeah I agree, I never build with sound in mind. However I could be totally wrong as well. I just build it to hit where I'm aiming when I'm crapping my pants.