Broadhead tuning

JNDEER

WKR
Everyone says to dial FP then BH should be close if not than a small adjustment is all it should take.

Anyone ever start out with BH and tune with them (paper, walk back, etc) then see where the FP hits and tune from there? Is it possible or are there logistics that I am not thinking of making it not work that way?

Never done BH then FP. Mainly because I am setting up a bow and shooting it so far out from season that for a number of months all I am shooting is FPs.

OR Archer

WKR
the only part that i think wouldn't work is the paper tuning. the broadhead would be cutting too large of a hole to show much on what the nock end of the arrow is doing. other than that i see no reason why your theory wouldn't work.

jamaro

FNG
I don't think there would be any issues other than bare-shaft tuning but why ask for trouble... Also, in order to figure out if you are tuned well you are going to need to look at your groups... You might destroy a bunch of arrows and fetching in the process...

J-

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
I think the main reason(for me anyways) is the amount of shooting done If your like me I have a broadhead capable target but I hate shredding it with broadheads. Much rather get it close with field points and then should only take a few shots to get me dialed in then about four more shots at various ranges to to verify point of impact. If I started with broadheads I'd need a new target by the time I was satified with my tune. I don't know maybe others dont need to shoot that much but thats the main reason for me.

PhillyB

WKR
At what distance do you call it 'good' for broadhead tuning? If the BH's group with the FP's at ____ yds then you are in good.

I can shoot out to 30 yds at the house, is that sufficient?

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
I was shooting broadheads this weekend and 20 yds was fine, 30 was just ok and 40 was all over the place. The farther out you tune you bh for good flight the better it will be closer.

J-Daddy

WKR
I don't put much, if any, stock in shooting broadheads at 20-30yds...You can have something out of whack and it won't show up to much at that range...Tuning issues really don't show themselves sometimes until you get to 50+yds...I don't shoot broadheads much, I'll shoot them a little before season comes in and that's it, just to see if they are right...But when I do shoot them I'll shoot them as far back as 100yds most of the time.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't put much, if any, stock in shooting broadheads at 20-30yds...You can have something out of whack and it won't show up to much at that range...Tuning issues really don't show themselves sometimes until you get to 50+yds...I don't shoot broadheads much, I'll shoot them a little before season comes in and that's it, just to see if they are right...But when I do shoot them I'll shoot them as far back as 100yds most of the time.

I do close to the same as you but probably shoot broadheads more often.

B

bearguide

have to shoot the broadheads b/c it is spring bear then deer elk, not time to switch. so i shoot bh sighted in and shoot fp for groups and practice