Broadhead tuning

KBC

WKR
You guys are correct. Maybe it was a result of my first bow being so difficult to tune but I did the bare shafts first which took forever, and then the broad heads which also took forever. Once I upgraded my bow I just went straight to broad heads and it was much faster, probably had something to do with my current bow (Axius Ultra) being much easier to tune.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I will say that my recent tuning has brought me back to "do whatever adjustments you need to do to bring them together". I had a nock-high BS and BH's low that I was fighting for days. I raised the rest with no change (even a ridiculous amount), I adjusted cam timing to no avail, I lowered my d-loop to no avail. Then I lowered my rest so my arrow was slightly down from level at rest (not drawn). And immediately everything cleared up......BH's hitting with FP's at 60, and BS's parallel with fletched.

I'm also all mixed up. I had broadheads left of field points this weekend and I moved the rest left according to the chart. This made it worse. I then moved the rest right in violation of the chart and now they are hitting together. LOL

mntnguide

WKR
I'm also all mixed up. I had broadheads left of field points this weekend and I moved the rest left according to the chart. This made it worse. I then moved the rest right in violation of the chart and now they are hitting together. LOL
Not sure what chart you're looking at... every major chart I've ever seen regarding broadhead tuning would have told you to move your rest right from the beginning. You go opposite the direction your broadheads are from fieldpoints. Not like a sight adjustment, where you follow the arrow

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not sure what chart you're looking at... every major chart I've ever seen regarding broadhead tuning would have told you to move your rest right from the beginning. You go opposite the direction your broadheads are from fieldpoints. Not like a sight adjustment, where you follow the arrow

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
1660672636028.png

IdahoHntr

WKR
There are people out there that will swear up an down about each direction. Plenty of great bow hunters out there that say to do it opposite of each other. I believe if you tune enough bows you will come to the same conclusion as 5MilesBack above, just get them to hit together. I've been able to move my rest different directions left and right on different bows to get my broadheads and field points together. I don't think it's an exact science. It depends on the bow, broadhead, cam timing, arrow spine, your own grip, etc.. Lots of variables and they seldom seem to always work the same.

The Gold Tip tuning recommendations (which are corroborated by accomplished archers other than Gillingham FWIW) seem to work for most people most of the time. I have seen other sources give opposite left/right recommendations though.

The number one rule in tuning is do what the arrow tells you to do (regardless of what the experts say). If an adjustment in one direction doesn't help, try adjusting in the opposite direction.

It seems like tuning should be cut and dried...same adjustments for all bows/arrows/archers all the time. But I've heard enough conflicting anecdotes from accomplished archers to conclude that there are no 100% hard-and-fast rules. Case in point is what @5MilesBack described above. I know he's an experienced shooter/tuner and I'll take him at his word...can't argue with results.

Bottom line: how exactly you get there really isn't important...do what you need to do to get broadheads and field points hitting together.

MattB

WKR
That is how I have always done it and I would have thought it was the right way to do it because it always worked for me. But then I found out about the internet and learned I was doing wrong all along.

So many dead animals I need to apologize to....