Broadhead Tuning

I decided to give the QAD Exodus a shot this year. Shooting the 100grn full blade. Over the past few weeks I've been working on getting my bow dialed in before worrying about broadhead tuning. I got a little anxious last night and decided to see how they show. Much to my surprise, the broadheads were hitting right with the field points at 30 yards. I was fully expecting to chase the field points around with small adjustments to the rest. Thankfully, I don't need to do that quite yet.

Here is my question. If the BH is not hitting with the FP at say 60 yards, obviously I'll need to make some adjustments. What will that do to the grouping at 30 yards? I haven't shot the BH past 30 yet, but I'm anticipating having to make some adjustments at longer distances. If adjustments need to be made, will it be a game of cat and mouse trying to get them all to line up?

why do you think you will need to adjust anything? not trying to be rude just wondering. I have never had to adjust a bow for broadheads if the bow is tuned correctly. I have shot exodus for a few years and they fly great, so my guess is that you will be fine.
if you do have to chase it make very small adjustments. those small adjustments will have less of an impact at closer distances, if you have to make big adjustments I would go back and look at how the bow is tuned again.

Don't chase ghost- shoot at 60 the make game plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brendan

WKR
My experience is if you get it BH tuned at 60 - 30 will still be dead on. You could be all set now, or might just be a little off and it's not showing up at shorter ranges.

OP
ndbwhunter
I'm hoping that no adjustments are needed, but wanted to ask the question to prepare myself for the worst. I'm shooting an Elite Synergy. It seems to be shooting very well, but I'll need to check timing and specs once I get my press/drawboard.

jmez

WKR
Everything with a bow is magnified at longer distances and minimized at shorter distances. If you have to make adjustments at 60 you won't notice any change are closer distances.

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I'm at 440 with the 125s. Shooting gold tip hunter 300 at 30". I mainly hunt skiddish whitetails in Arkansas so need to keep it moderately fast to keep them from jumping the string (which happens a lot at 30+ yards)

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
JMEZ and 5MILESBACK nailed it. Start you bh tuning at what ever range you feel very confidant at and go out from there, any changes that bring bhs closer to fps at longer range will only tighten the shorter range.

Everything with a bow is magnified at longer distances and minimized at shorter distances. If you have to make adjustments at 60 you won't notice any change are closer distances.

This is why I start my BH tuning at 60 and go from there. Just less steps usually, and dials in quicker.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
I contemplated going with the 125s, but my arrows are already at 502 grains with the 100 grain heads so I figured I'd be good.
Unless you've got extra weights added in the front end, might think about still going with 125 to get sufficient FOC

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk