Broadhead tuning

lintond

WKR
When are you satisfied with your broadhead tuning? I'm a little OCD sometimes and am wondering if I'm just being too picky. I think my broadheads should hit the same spot as my fieldpoint if I shoot it correctly, but I've seen others say a couple inches is acceptable.

What say you?

jmez

WKR
Essentially the same spot. Define a couple inches. A couple inches at 20 yards will be 6-7 inches at 50 yards.

sk1

WKR
Mine are dead on with my field points as far as I can tell out to 60....so I would say about dead on is what you should go for because if you're off 2 inches at 20 it's 10 inches at 60

wapitibob

WKR
I leave the field points in the garage, walk back tune bh's for centershot then shoot horizontal line for nock point.

I aim for spot on at 30 yards.

My hardest part with broadhead tuning is grouping them. I can't shoot more than one at a time from 30yards without fear of ruining arrows. I now have two broadhead targets to speed things up. What do you guys do?

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR

My hardest part with broadhead tuning is grouping them. I can't shoot more than one at a time from 30yards without fear of ruining arrows. I now have two broadhead targets to speed things up. What do you guys do?

I made this mistake a few days ago! :( Ruined two arrows and bh at about $25 a pop.

MattB

WKR
I have always had good results with shooting FP's and BH's together and making small rest movements to "chase" the FP POI to fine tune.

KMD

Banned
I just tuned my z7Mag with a new set of 8190 Vaportrails.
Walk back tuned my center shot with fieldpoints, then yoke tuned the BHs to hit the same POI...
Took a couple of presses and yoke finagling to get it tuned, then a 1/2 turn on the cable itself to time the cam, but it is spot on now. This is what the last volley of 100gr tips looked like @ 30yds, one fieldpoint, one VPA, one ST Mag...
749A0CBB-B571-422E-8C4D-077D56D1AFD6-12862-00000CE441862C88_zpsa3de417d.jpg

That is close enough for me and will be the last time I will be dumb enough to shoot three arrows at the same dot!!!

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider

My targets all have multiple dots (aiming points). I just shoot 1 arrow at each point. I don't need to see a tight group of arrows in the target. Just all the arrows in their own little white dots is good enough for me.

no limits

FNG
yep never shoot groups any more,too many arrows ruined. I don't know if I'm a loner on this but I hardly ever shoot field points. I tune my bow with fixed broadheads from day 1 when I buy my bow. I bought my bow this spring and haven't shot 50 field points through it, all broadheads. I figure thats what I hunt with thats what I better practice with. Shoot them out too 80 yards with good consistency.

yep never shoot groups any more,too many arrows ruined. I don't know if I'm a loner on this but I hardly ever shoot field points. I tune my bow with fixed broadheads from day 1 when I buy my bow. I bought my bow this spring and haven't shot 50 field points through it, all broadheads. I figure thats what I hunt with thats what I better practice with. Shoot them out too 80 yards with good consistency.

You must really go through the targets!

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
With enough tinkering, you should be able to get BH and FP to hit the same POI out beyond 60 yards. It has taken me 3 years of tinkering to get there, but I can do it with several different styles of broadheads.

Once you get it tuned right, you will not be shooting BH at the same bullseye - even at 60 yards.

jmez

WKR
I still shoot FP's but shoot broadheads every day. Keep a few in my quiver and shoot them every session. And yes, you shred a lot of targets. I shot the FP's and BH's at different targets.

no limits

FNG
You must really go through the targets!

I do go through a lot of targets, I shot 8 whitetail last year and recovered everyone of them. My longest shot was 40 yards with a 25 to 30 mph crosswind and shot it right through the heart. I was 100% with my bow last year, shooting broadheads year around pays off.

I want the same spot or I'm starting over SOMEWHERE! Arrows, vanes, Broadhead, nocking point, rest placement. I start systematically going through things again. It's a game of inches....why would I accept being inches off point of impact!

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
I made this mistake a few days ago! :( Ruined two arrows and bh at about $25 a pop.

I know most recommend to chase FP's, but sometimes it works the opposite. If your BH's hit left, you will most likely have a right tear in paper and that usually means to move your rest to the left, especially if you have a binary. Just saying that sometimes it works the other way, so if no success chasing, try the other direction.