Broadhead weight... Not type or brand

ontarget7

WKR
GT Velocity Pro 300's cut to 27" raw shaft with 50 gr brass insert and 100 gr tip. Puts FOC right at 17.2%. Going to see if these out perform my FMJ's at my long distance shooting as far as accuracy goes. The FMJ's are at 11% FOC .

ontarget7

WKR
GT Velocity Pro 300's cut to 27" raw shaft with 50 gr brass insert and 100 gr tip. Puts FOC right at 17.2%. Going to see if these out perform my FMJ's at my long distance shooting as far as accuracy goes. The FMJ's are at 11% FOC .

I more than likely I am going to go back to the Injexions. It is looking like they are producing the best overall groups at a 12% FOC and 100 gr tip weight. They have been great in the wind and probably the biggest reason for the overall better groups on average.

I personally prefer to run 100 gr up front because of the CHOICES I have when it comes to type and company. IF I feel the need for more weight up front I can either add screw in weights to my inserts OR like with HITs use 2 (injexions) or maybe the Brass HITs for Axis and keep my 100 gr heads.

I am a fan of the "smaller" cuts of a 100 VS 125 (in MOST cases). a smaller cutting diameter will have less surface area and therefore have less resistance leading to greater penetration. NOT that I have ever had issues or had customers using 125 have issues. Just the way resistance works.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Roger - that... gotta obey the spine rules first and foremost. A guy at G5 told me about a new Penetrator2 outsert from VAP yesterday that goes inside and outside the arrow (over the shaft) to allow using standard threads with the Injexion. Gonna take a look. I'm sure it will be a lot heavier than the standard Injexion insert. I didn't like the original VAP insert/outsert - they were often wobbly, and the aluminum ferrule inside the shaft only was too weak IMO. That may be a good/new option for more FOC with Injexions and allows use of any standard broadhead. The drawback is you have to have a pretty big overhang on the shaft because you wouldn't want the tapered outsert in contact with the rest. There is only a small section that covers the end of the shaft, but it should help protect the Injexion shaft and reduce the likelihood of the insert shearing off at the ferrule like I saw with the original. They also bumped the weight up to an even 50 grains which makes them ideal for use with a 100 grain broadhead.

Coop

I have been testing the Penetrator 2's on my Injexions and I am not convinced with using them. Total arrow weight was 475 gr and I tried both 100 gr and 75 gr heads. I have had a bit of a problem with wobble and slight bending of the insert/outsert. I decided to give them a try because I want to stick with my Wac'em heads. I had one arrow fly low and penetrated my target and stuck into the ground. Upon doing so it glanced off of a small rock and after pulling the arrow I found a nasty bend in the Penetrator. After shooting through plywood at an angle I did not like the results either and how the insert/ousert bent. They will also be making a stronger titanium version of this but at $20 each I don't forsee me using them!

Up to this point I have been using a PSE Radial X Weave arrow with 100 gr Wac'em with total weight at around 400 gr. The Easton Injexion I have been trying out are weighing around 475 gr with the penetrator 2 insert/outsert. I cannot believe the difference of arrow drop after 40 yards with the Injexions. Of course 75 gr heavier arrow will do this but I didn't think that much! Maybe because I am too heavy up front and my spine is jacked up perhaps. I hope to see the results after I cut the arrow down and install the insert meant to be used with the Injexion and a Deep Six head. That should put me around 425 gr of total weight and I think they will fly much better. We'll see!

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the head's up Jared - I actually ordered some but won't have them for a while - I think they're back-ordered. I was hoping they would be more durable than the originals and would spin better with the added slip fit over the last part of the shaft O.D. That's a bummer... What color penetrator insert are you running and what spine Injexions?

I too am a fan of the Wac'Em broadhead. Those puppies shoot good!

I just don't think aluminum is strong enough with that small of a ferrule diameter with the broadhead and insert length to cantilever any bending load. Steel and even titanium (unobtanium at $20/ea.) are going to be too heavy IMO. I think I know the best solution, but doubtful anybody will make them...

How about glue-in broadheads for the small ID arrows with 150/125/100 break-off sections like a target point for A/C/E's and X-10's. No tolerance stack with the insert, no threading issues and they should be able to fit VAP, Injexions and others.

My apologies to the original poster for the thread hijack! :rolleyes:

Did I mention I like 150 gr in the nose (broadhead + insert)?

Coop

OR Archer

WKR
100gr broadheads for me. Never had any accuracy issues with them and penetration hasn't been an issue either.

AGPank

WKR
I have a hard time finding arrows that are stiff enough to shoot more than 125 grains. I'm a 29.5" draw and shoot 70 lbs. I ended up with a 300 spine black eagle rampage, 125 grain broadhead and an insert from firenock. I think the total weight was about 435gr.

There doesn't seem to be a good selection of arrows stiffer than .300

cmeier117

WKR
I have a hard time finding arrows that are stiff enough to shoot more than 125 grains. I'm a 29.5" draw and shoot 70 lbs. I ended up with a 300 spine black eagle rampage, 125 grain broadhead and an insert from firenock. I think the total weight was about 435gr.

There doesn't seem to be a good selection of arrows stiffer than .300

Gold tip seems to be the only ones that are not really high priced.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the head's up Jared - I actually ordered some but won't have them for a while - I think they're back-ordered. I was hoping they would be more durable than the originals and would spin better with the added slip fit over the last part of the shaft O.D. That's a bummer... What color penetrator insert are you running and what spine Injexions?

I too am a fan of the Wac'Em broadhead. Those puppies shoot good!

I just don't think aluminum is strong enough with that small of a ferrule diameter with the broadhead and insert length to cantilever any bending load. Steel and even titanium (unobtanium at $20/ea.) are going to be too heavy IMO. I think I know the best solution, but doubtful anybody will make them...

How about glue-in broadheads for the small ID arrows with 150/125/100 break-off sections like a target point for A/C/E's and X-10's. No tolerance stack with the insert, no threading issues and they should be able to fit VAP, Injexions and others.

My apologies to the original poster for the thread hijack! :rolleyes:

Did I mention I like 150 gr in the nose (broadhead + insert)?

Coop

Coop I am using the yellow/gold inserts in my 330 Injexions. a glue in broahead would be neat. They offered to send me a few of the titanium inserts but I don't want a $20 insert in my arrow! What if I like them!?

I am bummed that Wac'em decided not to do a Deep Six head.

TEmbry

WKR
125 grain head for me, I rock a heavier arrow that is better served with a slightly heavier head to not loose ALL the FOC. My FMJs come in at almost exactly 500 grains and they hit the bag with a LOT of momentum.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Coop I am using the yellow/gold inserts in my 330 Injexions. a glue in broahead would be neat. They offered to send me a few of the titanium inserts but I don't want a $20 insert in my arrow! What if I like them!?

I am bummed that Wac'em decided not to do a Deep Six head.

Yeah, me too. Would have liked to see G5 Styrkers, Wac em' Triton's, and Slick Trick Standard heads all with D6 ferrules. Would have had some great choices for fixed blades. I would give the RamCat a try, but I don't think they would be legal in Idaho since the blades pivot. I need to get someone at F&G to make a ruling.

Coop

I personally prefer to run 100 gr up front because of the CHOICES I have when it comes to type and company. IF I feel the need for more weight up front I can either add screw in weights to my inserts OR like with HITs use 2 (injexions) or maybe the Brass HITs for Axis and keep my 100 gr heads.

I am a fan of the "smaller" cuts of a 100 VS 125 (in MOST cases). a smaller cutting diameter will have less surface area and therefore have less resistance leading to greater penetration. NOT that I have ever had issues or had customers using 125 have issues. Just the way resistance works.

This is my preferred method too.

I can shoot a smaller 100 grain head, less surface area, less wind drift/planing potential, less energy requirement pushing wide blades through meat, and can add weights and sort of "tune" the FOC. A 150 grain head has a lot more surface area than a 100, and with a brass or stainless insert I can effectively emulate a 150 grain head with a 100 grain head.

Not to mention, theres just a LOT more choices in broadheads when it comes to 100's versus 150's (not that we need anymore choices as Magnus Stingers are as good as it gets ;);) ).

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, me too. Would have liked to see G5 Styrkers, Wac em' Triton's, and Slick Trick Standard heads all with D6 ferrules. Would have had some great choices for fixed blades. I would give the RamCat a try, but I don't think they would be legal in Idaho since the blades pivot. I need to get someone at F&G to make a ruling.

Coop

Coop, check out the Hartcraft Xchange heads. Really cool concept, warranty, and in D6 as well as standard threads. I am testing them and great results so far!!