Broadhead

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
I know there’s high dollar broadhead made with space age steel. But good old slick trick mags for me. They shoot amazing out to 100 if needed. More elk have probably dropped for good from ST than any other broadhead out there. On the high end side u got iron wills, solids, germans. For budget friendly you got trophy takers, ST, Magnus. But it’s ST for me. It kinda goes without saying but the most important thing is a properly tuned bow, capable shooter, and shot placement above all else. I’m sure a well placed shot with just about any broadhead will get it done. I’ve had great luck with ST punching through ribs and the shoulder blade! Biggest prob is the crowd that screws on broadheads 2 weeks out and expects great results. Normally they don’t know the first thing about how to tune a bow, don’t own a bowpress, and are just relying on the what the local bow shop did or didn’t do. Get out there and shoot the heck out of em. From here on out I don’t even shoot field points and only let 1 arrow fly at a time. Good luck.

Exodus 125gr or Slick trick mag 125. Both great flights up to 70 yards and great penetration with my 440 gr arrow .

OP
I know there’s high dollar broadhead made with space age steel. But good old slick trick mags for me. They shoot amazing out to 100 if needed. More elk have probably dropped for good from ST than any other broadhead out there. On the high end side u got iron wills, solids, germans. For budget friendly you got trophy takers, ST, Magnus. But it’s ST for me. It kinda goes without saying but the most important thing is a properly tuned bow, capable shooter, and shot placement above all else. I’m sure a well placed shot with just about any broadhead will get it done. I’ve had great luck with ST punching through ribs and the shoulder blade! Biggest prob is the crowd that screws on broadheads 2 weeks out and expects great results. Normally they don’t know the first thing about how to tune a bow, don’t own a bowpress, and are just relying on the what the local bow shop did or didn’t do. Get out there and shoot the heck out of em. From here on out I don’t even shoot field points and only let 1 arrow fly at a time. Good luck.

I’ve shot slick trick mags for a few years for whitetail and I love them. Planning on using them for elk also this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine is working with annihilator broadheads. Interesting concept and they look tough. I have no personal experience with them though. A few guys are hunting with them this year though so we shall see. Funny thing about most broadhead shoot outs is there are way too many variables. Cracks me up so many respected publications/guys do these completely obsolete shoot outs. It’d only work if you could hit the exact same spot of beef shoulder or femur or what have you. Even personal experience isn’t science. It’s confidence though and that 50% of the game.

Another vote for slick tricks! Get the viper trick, the blade angle is more swept back = better penetration. Best accuracy of all of them too (+that stainless steel version won’t rust). If you’ve got excessive power (65+, fast bow, longer draw length) any of them work well. Never a problem with 4 blades punching through.

Trying day six evos this year simply because I want to. Have buddies that have great luck with QAD exodus, iron will, Rocky Mountain cuttthroat, shuttle t. Lots of good options

I’m using sevr 1.7 and either trocars or kudus. 535 grains total arrow weight going about 278.

406unltd

WKR
What Broadheads do you guys use for killing elk? Ever had problems with four blade broadheads punching through ribs?

2015 I took a 63yd shot at a bull with a 431gr arrow at 301fps. I dead centered a rib going in and busted 2/3 of a rib on its way out for a full pass through with a 100gr slick trick standard. That four blade didn’t have an issue with penetration on any of the elk we have taken with it.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Slick Trick Standard - 4 blades. Shot bull broadside at thirty yards and I found the arrow 15-20 yards away lodged in a log. If you have tuned bow I don't think you will have any issues.