Broadheads and Sheep

Leo17

FNG
So I am headed out next month on my first sheep hunt ( Dalls in the Brooks Range). Im going with my Bow and have been shooting daily out to 90 with both a mechanical and a fixed blade. the mechanical is a SEVR 1.5 inch, and fixed is the slick trick ss 4 blade. Both shoot really well and there is not much of a noticeable difference in grouping until 60 yards.

Anything past 60 and i notice that the mechanical definitely groups better. Does anyone have experience shooting Sheep at long ranges with mechanicals. I'm undecided on which to take. Heck I may take both and let the situation dictate which to use.

Of the 5 sheep I’ve arrowed, two were with Zwickey 4-blade Deltas, one with a 3-blade Thunderhead, one with a 3-blade Rocky Mt Titanium and the last, a Dall, with a 1.5” 3- blade NAP Spitfire. The Spitfire was a broadside pass-thru. If I was sheep hunting this fall I’d take them again. Great flight, tough enough and fine blood trails.

Dall sheep are not big....typically about mule deer size or a bit smaller, certainly shorter in overall length. They are thin skinned as well. Also sheep don't seem as tenacious as deer or elk.

Good luck on your hunt!

Last edited:
I know what Jonah would recommend. That said, I'd want whichever is the most accurate. Best of luck, you'll have a great hunt!

OP
Leo17

Leo17

FNG
I know what Jonah would recommend. That said, I'd want whichever is the most accurate. Best of luck, you'll have a great hunt!
He loves the mechanicals. I’m just having a hard time having a sheep be the first animal I ever shoot an expandable at. That being said I am leaning towards these sevr Broadheads. They are just like the old ulmer edge Broadheads. I just can’t wait to get out of NY for a couple weeks.

Jimbob

WKR
I have spent this spring getting my Bow set-up for mountain hunting. My son will be the shooter (rifle) on our stone sheep hunt this year so no archery but I will be Mountain goat hunting after the stone sheep hunt.

For broadheads, I have Magnus Stingers, Exodus, Killzone, and 1.5" Sevrs. The killzones are crap and wouldn't spin. Stingers and exodus fly good and I would be confident in them but it's looking like the Sevrs will be my heads.

Another benefit of the mechs is that they are more forgiving. A slight torque of the bow has more effect on a fixed blade than a mech. I could see in a mountain situation with weird footing, contorted body, and adrenaline pounding that I might not have the cleanest release. Nice to know that my set-up is a little more forgiving in that situation.

I'd shoot a sevr but i'm pretty prone to letting my form go to shit in the moment of truth.

Have fun man. All of Jonah's guides that I met last year were good shit but there's probably a good chance you'll end up with Harold. Listen to him on kifarucast for a preview of the stories you might be in for.

I bet Harold and Jonah shoot different style broadheads given Harold shoots a trad bow and Jonah a compound. And each will work fine placed in vitals.

I've shot two sheep with my bow, one was a Grizz Trick close range and the other was slick trick mag at 65 yards. Both one arrow kills and wouldn't say I had perfect placement, but they both went down in sight. I shot a caribou at 50 yards with a Sevr 2.1 and was really pleased with the penetration and the placement was perfect. I chose the Sevr on the caribou because I felt I had a planing issue on a previous shot with the slick trick. Had both in my quiver, so I elected for the Sevr on my second opportunity. BTW, that was the first animal I ever shot a mechanical at...

At the end of the day, both will kill if placement is correct. Choose the one that you shoot the best and you'll be fine.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
There is nothing wrong with a 2" Rage Hypodermic. I used this on my Rocky and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Sheep die easy and the 2" cutting diameter is very desirable if the shot isn't perfect.

MattB

WKR
I don't think sheep are that tough and live in open country. I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about BH choice.

I killed mine at 15 yards with a Vortex.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’d worry about a multitude of other things before I worried about a broadhead for sheep. They aren’t elk! Worry about your mental toughness, your fitness, caring for your feet and your shooting accuracy. In that order too. The rest of the stuff, like broadhead choice, is much less important. Just listen to your guide and enjoy the experience.

OP
Leo17

Leo17

FNG
I’d worry about a multitude of other things before I worried about a broadhead for sheep. They aren’t elk! Worry about your mental toughness, your fitness, caring for your feet and your shooting accuracy. In that order too. The rest of the stuff, like broadhead choice, is much less important. Just listen to your guide and enjoy the experience.
I approach all hunts the same whether it’s sheep or rabbits. Shooting accuracy is paramount, so much so that I’m willing to switch Broadheads to attain long distance accuracy. I agree that other things are important but the absolute last thing I’d want to do is leave a wounded sheep on a mountain because I was more worried about caring for my feet.

SDHNTR

WKR
I approach all hunts the same whether it’s sheep or rabbits. Shooting accuracy is paramount, so much so that I’m willing to switch Broadheads to attain long distance accuracy. I agree that other things are important but the absolute last thing I’d want to do is leave a wounded sheep on a mountain because I was more worried about caring for my feet.
Ok, but you won’t be able to get to the sheep in the first place if you don’t care for your feet. Many a sheep hunt has been ruined or short cut due to blistered feet. Don’t discount that issue.

Bmac87

FNG
There is nothing wrong with a 2" Rage Hypodermic. I used this on my Rocky and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Sheep die easy and the 2" cutting diameter is very desirable if the shot isn't perfect.
KSCowboy can you please pm me id you get a chance. I feel dumb but I don't know how haha

OP
Leo17

Leo17

FNG
well, I figured i would update this thread that i started. I went with the sever 1.5inch. it worked perfectly. I shot my Ram at 61 yards while he was bedded. Double lung complete passthrough. Dead in less than 40 yards. The amount of blood made it actually look fake. It took us forever to somewhat clean him up for pictures.

Wapiti1

WKR
well, I figured i would update this thread that i started. I went with the sever 1.5inch. it worked perfectly. I shot my Ram at 61 yards while he was bedded. Double lung complete passthrough. Dead in less than 40 yards. The amount of blood made it actually look fake. It took us forever to somewhat clean him up for pictures.

Pics or it didn't happen

Jeremy

What did you end up going with? Sounds awesome and affective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk