Broadheads for shooting elk with 60# DW?

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot daily, Mathews VXR 28, 27.5" DL and a 60# DW. Hunter 400 arrows, 28.5", 3 fletch blazer vanes.

Been using Rage Hypodermic NC's, curious if I'm going to be good for elk as is, if I need to add weight to my arrows for elk or if I need a fixed blade at my DW.

I shoot every day and while I can pull a heavier DW I would prefer to stay at 60#.

Thanks,

Ash

60# and your current setup is plenty but I would switch to a fixed blade for elk. I've taken deer with mechanicals and have nothing against them generally, but I don't know of many elk being taken with them. I'd opt for better penetration and less energy lost opening them up.

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Would an Iron Will 100 grain be a good option for a CoC or would I want to go heavier?

Would an Iron Will 100 grain be a good option for a CoC or would I want to go heavier?
would be a great option.

just know, if you add much more point weight you will need to go up in arrow spine, so throwing a heavier head on your current arrows may ruin arrow flight.

iron will are as good as it gets, good design, excellent materials, forgiving in flight and great edge retention... hard to go wrong there.

most any reasonable dimension fixed blades will work in your setup. i shoot kudu contour plus, and liking them, they are a killer head for the money, but there are tons of good heads out there these days. iron will are top shelf, that's what i shoot out of my recurves

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
would be a great option.

just know, if you add much more point weight you will need to go up in arrow spine, so throwing a heavier head on your current arrows may ruin arrow flight.

iron will are as good as it gets, good design, excellent materials, forgiving in flight and great edge retention... hard to go wrong there.

most any reasonable dimension fixed blades will work in your setup. i shoot kudu contour plus, and liking them, they are a killer head for the money, but there are tons of good heads out there these days. iron will are top shelf, that's what i shoot out of my recurves
Exactly - I'm right on the edge of 340/400 with my DL and DW and I guess as I become a better archer I should end up with the 340 spine, right?

Rob5589

WKR
Exactly - I'm right on the edge of 340/400 with my DL and DW and I guess as I become a better archer I should end up with the 340 spine, right?
Depends on how much weight you want up front. More weight weakens spine thus the need to move up in spine. Much better to be spine heavy than light.

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how much weight you want up front. More weight weakens spine thus the need to move up in spine. Much better to be spine heavy than light.
Meaning better call to move to the 340 spine?

Bl704

WKR
I have a near identical setup, 60# elite synergy and 1" longer draw. I used magnus stinger 125gr with good success on my cow this year.

She had aparently, pulled the arrow out, but nearly, passed through at impact. I think if I had either retouched up the blades or had a few more grain insert, it wouldn't passed through at impact.

Nubs

FNG
Guy that does my bow work uses Exodus broadheads and he shoots just over 50 pounds. He killed a moose this year up in Alaska with them too.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

You should be good to go, though I also recommend a fixed, cut on contact broadhead. One note on these, don’t go all in on one model to start. Pick a few if you can and shoot them, some may shoot different in your setup than others.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Heading out for my first archery elk hunt, 60# Elite Tempo shooting 450gr arrows. At the low speed (255fps) I’m shooting, I don’t even own any mechanicals.
I’ve got 125gr Kudo Contours, Magnus Buzzcuts, Exodus, and VPA 3blade vented.
After shooting them all in the wind at 60yds this weekend I’m not sure which will be out front for my hunt starting next Friday. The Kudus are awesome within 40, but I probably need to tune to them exclusively for longer, but the Magnus and VPA run true to the 60 I’ve been able to test them at, and the Exodus already are proven, having sailed through a velvet Coues’ boiler room at stupid far away this year.
Decisions, decisions...

Elkhntr08

WKR
Start with your setup and a 100 and a 125 grain field point. See which one will paper tune the best. After you figure that out, pick a solid COC broadhead.
I switched over to the VPA 100 vented this year. Tough as heck and easy to sharpen. I don’t like replacing blades.
A well tuned arrow with a 100 grain head will penetrate better than a 125 head on a poorly tuned arrow.