Broadheads Hitting to the Right. New Arrows? Arrow Build Help / Advice

I don't want to come down on the tech, he's an IBO world champion with a longbow and an accomplished hunter. Nice guy and has been helpful. When he shoots the same bow, same arrow, he gets an exact oppose reaction out of the arrow. Nock right. There could be factors in my grip, form, release are angle, draw length, who knows. Plus the bow is 13 years old. If nothing else, I'm sure learning a lot. Whatever I spend will be cheaper than a college education and I can be that more equip to help my sons when they are of age. I'll get this figured out.

that's really good info, and it significantly increases the likelihood that the problem is you, not the bow or even the arrows. also, it points to your grip or draw-length probably being the problem, since the two main differences between you and your tech are probably in how you hold the bow and body size. Spine, cam lean, centershot are all eliminated as variables.

have you re-measured or experimented with different draw lengths? ever take an archery lesson? followed along through school of nock?

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
that's really good info, and it significantly increases the likelihood that the problem is you, not the bow or even the arrows. also, it points to your grip or draw-length probably being the problem, since the two main differences between you and your tech are probably in how you hold the bow and body size. Spine, cam lean, centershot are all eliminated as variables.

have you re-measured or experimented with different draw lengths? ever take an archery lesson? followed along through school of nock?
Yes. I have experience different draw lengths. I have not been re-measured. I've never taken a formal archery lesson but I have been through the school of nock a few times, read Joel Turner's book on the controlled process shooting, and implemented what I learned.

Here's a link to my Instagram of me shooting. Its sped up for time. But maybe you can see something I could work on.

Here's a link to my Instagram of me shooting. Its sped up for time. But maybe you can see something I could work on.

unfortunately that's way beyond my skill set even if I could get the post to load (which I can't), but hopefully some other guys can chime in.

Presumably with that level of effort on self-teaching/learning you've got your grip figured out, right? Are you putting any pressure on the sides of the grip, either with your thumb or your palm?

Grip and draw length seem to be towards the top of the form error heap.

can you post a normal speed version? hard to really tell if its you when it moves so fast lol.
with that said, ill say what I said before, your tech while he may be a great guy may be out of his realm here. at some point he needs to be humble and say "hey I don't know what to do". the bow is absolutely not correct, and you do not tune a bow to an arrow you merely use the arrow as the last part of tuning. as for him and you shooting different that's always a hard thing to use because naturally everyone is different and nothing says his form is correct either. I respect your dedication to the tech and if hes willing to learn then tell him to get the bow back to factory specs, top and bottom cam relatively the same angle, centershot around 13/16'- 7/8 and arrow level with the string. using the arrow of your choice start shooting and see where it goes. do not worry about paper tuning, real life tuning always works better. I don't your location, but if you're not too far i would have no problem helping out.

so from how it looks to me, your bow arm is elbow down, if I'm wrong please correct me, but you want elbow out typically. you'll know you're arm is wrong when you get the occasional string slap, initially holding the bow correctly can feel unnatural and takes muscle learning. also, it looks like you're release arm is elbow high and your bow arm is low, ideally you want that perfect T form however I understand everyone's body is different so you may not be able to get that. when you aim at the target use your torso to aim high or low maintaining the T form as best you can. last thing, do not move that bow till your arrow hits the target. continue to look through the sight after release until you see that arrow hit. its hard to really tell anything on a sped up vid so if anything I mentioned doesn't pertain to you just disregard.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When he shoots the same bow, same arrow, he gets an exact oppose reaction out of the arrow. Nock right.
That makes sense. And to correct that nock right he would be twisting up the right yoke and untwisting the left yoke, which would then bring that cam lean more to where it should be.
There could be factors in my grip, form, release are angle, draw length, who knows.
Most definitely.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
so from how it looks to me, your bow arm is elbow down, if I'm wrong please correct me, but you want elbow out typically. you'll know you're arm is wrong when you get the occasional string slap, initially holding the bow correctly can feel unnatural and takes muscle learning. also, it looks like you're release arm is elbow high and your bow arm is low, ideally you want that perfect T form however I understand everyone's body is different so you may not be able to get that. when you aim at the target use your torso to aim high or low maintaining the T form as best you can. last thing, do not move that bow till your arrow hits the target. continue to look through the sight after release until you see that arrow hit. its hard to really tell anything on a sped up vid so if anything I mentioned doesn't pertain to you just disregard.

I'll look and see if I have some videos in real time. Here is a video shot from the other angle. I haven't had a string slap in 10 years. I believe my elbow is out, but I'm no world champion shooter. I'm just trying to get critters on the ground.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
unfortunately that's way beyond my skill set even if I could get the post to load (which I can't), but hopefully some other guys can chime in.

Presumably with that level of effort on self-teaching/learning you've got your grip figured out, right? Are you putting any pressure on the sides of the grip, either with your thumb or your palm?

Grip and draw length seem to be towards the top of the form error heap.

I mean I have a grip that's killed critters and kept the freezer filled each season. Figured out? I'd say apparently that's a negative. Still working, apparently it needs work. I doubt I'm putting any pressure on the side plates, I don't even wrap my figures around the grip, but again, hard to tell until I learn more. I think my draw length is right, maybe this is another area to explore. I started with 31 (10 years ago), moved to 30, now down to 29.5. If I need to go shorter, I'll be hanging up the Alphamax as these cams don't allow any shorter and finding modules are nearly impossible at this point even if I could go shorter. I don't think I'm too short.

ok, things look better from the other side. curious why you started at 31 and ended at 29.5 with draw length? that's a huge difference as far a DL goes, and might be why it looks like your draw elbow looks a touch high. also, is your release palm out? ultimately what matters is you're comfortable and consistent, your form isn't bad and I've seen worse, so as long as you are consistent you can usually tune it out. when your tech shot your bow did he use your release? different releases make a difference.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
ok, things look better from the other side. curious why you started at 31 and ended at 29.5 with draw length? that's a huge difference as far a DL goes, and might be why it looks like your draw elbow looks a touch high. also, is your release palm out? ultimately what matters is you're comfortable and consistent, your form isn't bad and I've seen worse, so as long as you are consistent you can usually tune it out. when your tech shot your bow did he use your release? different releases make a difference.
When I first bought the bow I had never shot one. For some reason was drawn to Hoyt. I found a good deal off eBay, the bow was only a few years old at the time. I figured I needed a 31, however I figured it. At some point a shop measured me at 30. I was using a wrist release back then. Got the 30 mods and kept it there for many years. Started going through school of nock a few years back, felt like I was a bit long based on what I was learning, dropped to 29.5 and moved to a handheld release. Bow and shooting felt good so I kept it there.

Yes, my release palm is out. My thumbs are at the same angle pointing towards each other.

I'm shooting 3 different releases. I do have his exact same release as my tech. UV hinge 2. I'm switching over to that as I believe I've learned the main lesson from the silverback (surprise release) and am tired of fighting inconsistent pull tension. Release will break with a 2-3 lb difference even after sending it back to carter. I'm still getting a surprise release but I'm no longer shaking like a leaf on my 4th and 5th arrow at 50 yards pulling through the shot. I can hold much more steady lessening the pressure on my index finger while the release naturally rotates and as my ring finger picks up the slack the release eventually fires.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
My 335 IBO bow at 64# , 28.5" draw length shooting 300 spine arrows threw broadheads 4" right at 40 yds. Moved the rest over 5 one-thousandths ,(0.005 ") , and it brought them right to the field point impact. I used a dial micrometer to measure the adjustment. I was shocked that small adjustment did....anything! It did.

But if your spine is marginal, you will have to address that in some manner as others have suggested.