Broadheads not on target

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
These are your opinions. The advice is I need to upgrade my arrow spine, move rest, shim, etc. The rest is your opinion. I didn’t ask if there was an asshole looking to talk about their opinions on FOC or not. Last year with 50gr inserts these worked well. This year with 180 not so much. So before you go around offering your bullshit opinion respond to the question asked.

Brendan is just trying to help you. There are quite a few guys here that have impressive kill lists and a couple state and national level archers that stay incognito. All anyone is trying to say is FOC appears to be what your worried about when in reality its really the last thing you should be worried about. All we are trying to do is help steer you down the path that we all know works. If you are dead set on 15% FOC rock on and build new shafts. Either way you are underspined.

Zac

WKR
Not opinion whatsoever. All solid advice based on testing from professional archers and personal experience.

If you want help - stop being a douche about it. You have all the answers you need in this thread to get a bow tuned and flying perfect. And you can test it with a set of allen wrenches and 10 minutes for free by yourself.

If you're going to get bent out of shape about it go be a Ranch Fairy leg humper. There's a reason he got kicked out of here.
He doesn't qualify as a Fairy guy either. Fairy is adamant about perfect bare shaft flight. The thing the OP is missing is that his giant FOC build isn't going to penetrate anything striking at such a horrible entry angle. I have no problem with the guys that do Ashby correctly. Just follow the steps in order and everything will work just fine. This is a good example of what happens when steps are skipped.

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I'll give you that. I think RF's attitude / schtick makes people miss some of the important stuff though.

How does he say it?
Need to shoot adult arrows not little kids arrows. Something like that. When I saw that I just closed the video and have never watched another.

Brendan

WKR
How does he say it?
Need to shoot adult arrows not little kids arrows. Something like that. When I saw that I just closed the video and have never watched another.

He's very focused on high FOC and heavy arrows . An extension of Ashby. Listening to him makes me want to throw myself in traffic, and I think he might be on meth, so it's been a while since I've tried listening.

The problem is - most people miss the part that higher FOC impacts dynamic spine and you just can't load up the front of an arrow without it being a stiff enough spine to start, and except in closer range situations you're lobbing lincoln logs and run into range estimation issues with super heavy arrows....

The OP fell into the trap of "More FOC" without a stiff enough arrow.

Zac

WKR
How does he say it?
The people that get their feelings hurt are missing out on alot of valuable information. Not everyone has to agree on everything. People with different opinions interact here without issue most of the time. Fairy should be afforded the same respects. Shutting off new archers to such a great resource is wrong. They can figure out on their own that a 600 grain trajectory is crap. However learning how to bare shaft tune, sharpen broadheads, shot placement, and identity anatomy is great information. I would rather someone error on the side of too heavy, then go out into the woods with an untuned bow and a mechanical.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
The people that get their feelings hurt are missing out on alot of valuable information. Not everyone has to agree on everything. People with different opinions interact here without issue most of the time. Fairy should be afforded the same respects. Shutting off new archers to such a great resource is wrong. They can figure out on their own that a 600 grain trajectory is crap. However learning how to bare shaft tune, sharpen broadheads, shot placement, and identity anatomy is great information. I would rather someone error on the side of too heavy, then go out into the woods with an untuned bow and a mechanical.
I agree on those points however there are several "pro archers" that advocate for the same things without the extreme FOC thing. Doesnt matter anyways because for me at 31.25" draw I would be lobbing 800 grain arrows with 150 spines to get where RF thinks I should be. I just cant get there with my arrow length and maintain any sort of speed.

Brendan

WKR
Fairy should be afforded the same respects. Shutting off new archers to such a great resource is wrong.

He doesn't get afforded the same respect here because he showed up on Rokslide starting shit, pushing his platform, acting like he's on crack and got banned in less than a day.

He has some things right, but he's an entertainer more than anything. An entertainer that some people like, and that really, really rubs some others the wrong way.

Like above, I'd much rather listen to real pros and people that really know what they're doing. Many great resources out there where you shouldn't be relying on him.

@AskingForAFriend were the FOC numbers you've mentioned for your current/past arrow builds determined via a calculator based on component weights and lengths? Or by measuring the balance point and using the AMO standard formula shown below? I ask because I find it hard to believe that you're "only" getting 15% FOC with 280 gr of point weight. There may be an error in your method of determining FOC that's leading you to falsely believe it's lower than it really is.
FOC.jpg

As others have pointed out (including Ashby), FOC is far less important than proper spine and good arrow flight. My advice would be to build for a desired total arrow weight with a properly spined shaft and let FOC fall where it may.

The good folks here on the forum have led you to water, it's now your decision whether to drink or to persist in being a stubborn ass.

Zac

WKR
@AskingForAFriend were the FOC numbers you've mentioned for your current/past arrow builds determined via a calculator based on component weights and lengths? Or by measuring the balance point and using the AMO standard formula shown below? I ask because I find it hard to believe that you're "only" getting 15% FOC with 280 gr of point weight. There may be an error in your method of determining FOC that's leading you to falsely believe it's lower than it really is.
View attachment 298706

As others have pointed out (including Ashby), FOC is far less important than proper spine and good arrow flight. My advice would be to build for a desired total arrow weight with a properly spined shaft and let FOC fall where it may.

The good folks here on the forum have led you to water, it's now your decision whether to drink or to persist in being a stubborn ass.
This thread makes me think we all should drink.

This thread makes me think we all should drink.

I think I drank too much last night....

I just left a 3d that I should have done a lot better at. I reckon I didn't have enough foc, cause I know I can shoot better. However the broken nock I got from someone pounding my arrow didn't help.

First time I thought I dry fired my bow.

I left hotel like 12 hours ago and I still taste the freaking smoke. No more cheapest thing available. My therma rest didn't fix it.

Reactions: Zac

Sled

WKR
You guys are better than I am. I would have excluded myself a long time ago if someone asked me what color the sky was and refused to accept my answer of blue on this nice sunny day.

Thanks for trying to educate the FNG anyway.

fatlander

WKR
I’m amazed this thread made it to 57 posts without someone asking how the OP can shoot 0” to 3” groups at 65 yards, yet he can’t tune broad heads.

The internet is a wild place. Someone comes on a forum, claiming better than world class accuracy, all the while making little league mistakes and crapping on people actually trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
I’m amazed this thread made it to 57 posts without someone asking how the OP can shoot 0” to 3” groups at 65 yards, yet he can’t tune broad heads.

The internet is a wild place. Someone comes on a forum, claiming better than world class accuracy, all the while making little league mistakes and crapping on people actually trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benefit of the doubt i guess. guys have a tendency to overestimate inches and if the friend he's asking for is female, maybe she's vastly underestimating.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
benefit of the doubt i guess. guys have a tendency to overestimate inches and if the friend he's asking for is female, maybe she's vastly underestimating.

Guys underestimate their group size and over estimate their........well......I'll stop there.

If we argued with everyone that claimed they could shoot 2-3" at 65 yards there would be alot of arguing. I do it sometimes on accident. I for sure cant do it on demand. I'm happy if I can manage archers moa with some kind of frequency.

Kinda like when all there guys have guns that shoot 0.75 moa "all day". What they really meant is one Sunday in april 2019. True sub moa guns and true sub moa shooters are not common.

kcm2

WKR
Let me see if I understand this. He asks for help and when he gets it, gives attitude to those giving it.

I just dealt with a guy on Facebook on a LH archery forum who said he had a 70 lb Mission bow and wanted to know what it was worth. My response was "how long is a piece of rope." He got all bent out of shape and asked what that meant. My response was your question was vague since Mission has built a lot of bows over many years and the question was like "what's my chevy car worth?" He just got more bent out of shape.

If you're going to ask a question, be ready to get an answer you don't like. Would you prefer someone blow sunshine up your backside and not suggest a viable solution? There are some very experienced people here with a lot of knowledge on this issue and many more. It would behoove one to listen to them.