Broadheads

Any advice on what brand of Broadheads to use ? Weight, mechanical, fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
Throw out some info on your bow/arrow setup and what/where you want to hunt with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m shooting a PSE stinger extreme. Arrows are FMJ 390 grain. Planning on hunting turkey in October then elk.

Zac

WKR
Look on the back of your arrow package at the spine chart and see what weight of head you want to run. Or you could purchase a program like Archers Advantage if you want to try weights over 125 grains. 390 total grains is fairly light so you would probably want to run some sort of fixed cut on contact head. You could take antelope and white tails with a mechanical. If you do not know how to properly tune a bow to shoot fixed blades you will probably want to opt for a mechanical or you may be able to get away with a Slick Trick Standard fixed blade.

OP
A
Look on the back of your arrow package at the spine chart and see what weight of head you want to run. Or you could purchase a program like Archers Advantage if you want to try weights over 125 grains. 390 total grains is fairly light so you would probably want to run some sort of fixed cut on contact head. You could take antelope and white tails with a mechanical. If you do not know how to properly tune a bow to shoot fixed blades you will probably want to opt for a mechanical or you may be able to get away with a Slick Trick Standard fixed blade.

Whats the proper way to tune a bow for a fixed blade?

Wapiti1

WKR
Do a search here on broadhead tuning. There are several tutorials on it from members, or hit up YouTube.

A couple of things to remember, smaller cutting diameter heads tune easier (less wind resistance for planning), and when you are done, your broadheads don't always and do not have to shoot to the same spot as your field points. If they do, great. The main thing is good broadhead flight and do they group well. Lastly, shoot every arrow you have a broadhead on to see how it flies. You will probably find one or two that don't behave well. Cull those out, or fix them (change the head, index the nock, etc).

Jeremy

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
The Search option on this forum is your friend! Endless amount of info on what your looking for.

406unltd

WKR
I’m not an expert but I’d say you’re too light. 390 may be enough for turkey but that’s a small critter compared to an elk. The arrow should be as heavy as you are comfortable with. For every person that is different, but it’s all about moderation in my opinion. Too heavy like 700g seems as silly as 380g to me. Keeping a decent speed of 270-280 is my personal goal. A good fixed blade is the only type of head I’d recommend for elk. Expandables can and do work for elk though. Lots of great heads out there so I’d shoot the one that is most accurate for you and you have the most confidence in. All in all whatever weight my arrow ends up being with that speed I want is where I draw my line because I get speed and power....a happy medium. Good luck

Last edited:
Just guessing with the info given but a fmj i think he’s meaning the finished arrow is 390 with out a head on it meaning he’ll be at 490 with a 100 gain Broadhead op is that correct?

OP
A
Just guessing with the info given but a fmj i think he’s meaning the finished arrow is 390 with out a head on it meaning he’ll be at 490 with a 100 gain Broadhead op is that correct?

My arrow without Broadhead is 390 with should be 490 finished weight