Broadheads

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking into trying some different broadheads this season. I've used muzzy's, Blackout Toxik's, Flying Arrow's toxic broadhead, and Ramcat (both fixed blade and mechanical) all in the passed with my favorite being the Blackout Toxik's for deer and the Ramcat savage for turkey thus far. I've kinda been looking into the Muzzy Trocar hb hybrid 4 blade broadhead but want honest reviews/opinions on them. I understand shot placement is everything (learned it the hard way the passed 13 years) but i was hoping someone could perhaps give me some further info on the muzzy trocar hb hybrids or maybe suggest a broadhead worth looking into. I mainly do deer hunting, both whitetail and mule deer, along with an occasional turkey when i can. My draw weight is around 57 pounds with my draw length being a t-rex armed 26 inches. My arrow weight is around 460 with my average shot distance being anywhere from at my toes to about 60 yards comfortably. Any and all info or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

I’m also curious in this topic, as we both have similar draw weights and length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
For a hybrid Id strongly recommend the Grim Reaper Micro Hybrids over the Muzzys. For a fixed head I really like the QAD Exodus.

dkime

WKR
I'm looking into trying some different broadheads this season. I've used muzzy's, Blackout Toxik's, Flying Arrow's toxic broadhead, and Ramcat (both fixed blade and mechanical) all in the passed with my favorite being the Blackout Toxik's for deer and the Ramcat savage for turkey thus far. I've kinda been looking into the Muzzy Trocar hb hybrid 4 blade broadhead but want honest reviews/opinions on them. I understand shot placement is everything (learned it the hard way the passed 13 years) but i was hoping someone could perhaps give me some further info on the muzzy trocar hb hybrids or maybe suggest a broadhead worth looking into. I mainly do deer hunting, both whitetail and mule deer, along with an occasional turkey when i can. My draw weight is around 57 pounds with my draw length being a t-rex armed 26 inches. My arrow weight is around 460 with my average shot distance being anywhere from at my toes to about 60 yards comfortably. Any and all info or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Find a good COC head, 26/57 and 460 is probably going to be a 230fps arrow. At 60yds you’ll be running the same velo as a trad setup at brace and you’ll be thankful to have a head capable of two holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
For a hybrid Id strongly recommend the Grim Reaper Micro Hybrids over the Muzzys. For a fixed head I really like the QAD Exodus.
I checked out the Exodus! Thank you for the recommendation!

I shoot a set up close to yours as far as weight, draw length etc.
I've been very happy with Grim Reaper Micro Hades 3 blade fixed. Took a Moose and a blacktail with those on front of Victory Vap's this season.

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a set up close to yours as far as weight, draw length etc.
I've been very happy with Grim Reaper Micro Hades 3 blade fixed. Took a Moose and a blacktail with those on front of Victory Vap's this season.
I will definitely look into those, thank you!

Fullfan

WKR
Have always been a SlickTrick fan, have just started shooting the Magnus 4 Blade Ser- razor. Lifetime warrantee and so far they have flown great out to 45 yds.

I shot the rage two blade heads for about 8 years with fairy good success. Some blood trails were great, others not great (probably the case with any head). I have always been concerned about the durability of mechanical heads with bone impacts so last year I changed to a magnus buzzcut. Shot a doe in September and the blood trail was one of the best I've had in my 12 years of bowhunting. Lifetime warranty on these as well plus I think they offer a 150 grain head if you want to go heavier. I'm shooting a bowtech reign 6, 60lbs and 460 grain setup so not too far off from you. Hope this helps!

dkime

WKR
Have always been a SlickTrick fan, have just started shooting the Magnus 4 Blade Ser- razor. Lifetime warrantee and so far they have flown great out to 45 yds.

Most people don't know this but Slick tricks carry the same warranty. Few choose to take advantage of it.

Fullfan

WKR
Have to check into that, every time I shoot one the blades always seem to get damaged.

Rokslide member Bowhuntr64 linked an interesting video on the Annihilator broadheads (and posted a thread about them here on Rokslide), which I understand are pretty affordable and easy to sharpen. With low velocities like yours though, classic wisdom says to stick with 2 blade Cut-On-Contact. I will say this, from my own research, a lot of broadhead snobs (folks spending big on Bishop Archery and Valkyrie and Iron Will) seem to consistently love the Magnus heads also, and they are quite affordable.

Rob5589

WKR
Last deer I have shot have been with the Magnus Black Hornet serrazor. Crazy sharp, penetration is excellent, no issues tuning, shoot spot on to 80 yds. Magnus has even replaced a couple that were tweaked after misses and hitting some rocks.

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot Muzzy fixed 4blade 100g, I’ve killed 6 bulls and haven’t lost one yet.. i pull 70lbs, 27.5 DL with 400g goldtip carbon arrows.. Probably many quality broadheads out there that will make good kills... just have to make good shot placement, don’t expect to any broadhead to drop an animal if you hit it in the shoulder blade or butt!

TaylerW

FNG
I'm sold on the ironwill. Recently got the evolution outdoors expandable and will report once I actually shoot something. They seem solid and lots of sharp edges.

i'm a fixed head guy, just don't care for the cons of any expandable or hybrid, whether my concerns are realistic or not, I just don't trust heads with moving parts. I realize the failure rate is low, they just aren't for me. one small deflection, a blade deploys and you are set up for hardship.

I hunt elk every year, so that's what I build arrows for, and they work for everything else of course.

living on the west coast, the volume of critters shot is fairly low, an elk deer, and bear is about all that's realistic, so I can easily justify high end heads (I would probably not be that way if I shot 10 hogs and 8 deer per year)

right now I like iron will the best, they are great heads, no downside but cost. I plan on shooting the new wide cuts out of my compound this year, and will be shooting Valkyrie blood eagles out of my recurve, and will be shooting 200gr heads on each bow so I can use the same heads in both bows if I want/need.

we are spoiled these days with great options, tons of good heads in every configuration, and any cost. I think a guy could shoot a QAD exodus and be fine without ever having any "broadhead drama" there are plenty others that fit that criteria as well.

depends on your setup and the hunting you do.... stay away from gimmicky heads, put some thought into durability and you'll be good to go.