Broke my leg. Hopefully be back at it by bear season.

bobr1

WKR
B54AF839-0DDE-4347-A11F-04E2ACA520B9.jpegSo, I was ice fishing and enjoying a beautiful warm big blue sky day in Montana with friends. Was packing up gear to head home and slipped on some packed down ice. Didn’t think much of it and tried to get up. Then I noticed my leg was straight but my foot was turned 90 degrees and thought “this doesn’t look good”. No reception and a 1.5 hour ride to the hospital. From what I can gather from the ER I dislocated my ankle and fractured my fibula and will most likely need surgery. I see the surgeon tomorrow and I am hoping to get it done and be able to work on recovery for bear season. I missed all hunting season this fall because of school and was looking forward to bear season in the spring. I’m hoping that the plates and pins I will need won’tend my outdoor and hunting lifestyle, but I guess I’ll find out.

Not trying to be a sob story but I can’t doing anything right now, including driving and I feel like an idiot and a burden to people that have to help me. I’ve always been a self reliant person and i feel guilty relying on others now.

I guess this is more of a rant and also a reminder to wear ice cleats even if you don’t think you need them as I lie on my couch with my leg up.

E9A7986B-1076-4191-8718-99F23F6F05F1.jpeg3A84E85E-F7D8-4C97-A4CA-E91261FB7A1E.jpeg

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
Man bobr1...that x-ray looks way too familiar! Hang in there! Mine happened in 1989. It hasn't slowed me down one bit and I doubt you will be impacted much going forward. Now that i'm older it gets a bit achy at the end of the day...but not bad enough to keep me from anything I've wanted to do hunting wise!
Good luck with surgery...It will get better and you will be back out there in no time!

Last edited:
OP
B

bobr1

WKR
Scary man, I've seen my fair share of those from working on ski hills. How did you get to the hospital?
I was with friends. They threw me in the back of the vehicle and drove me to the hospital. ER was waiting for me when we got there and transferred me out of the vehicle.

Wrench

WKR
Lame. I ALMOST did the same thing last week. I am still not happy with the knee pain....but at least my pain doesn't require screws.

You'll be better than new.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Get healed up and back at it. You're halfway there to being the next Six Million Dollar Man

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BadDogPSD

WKR
Ouch! Cheers to a speedy and full recovery.

I get a new hip on Monday, hoping to be ready for fall hunting.

Jmort1754

WKR
I was there this fall with a significant fracture and surgery. I am not near 100% yet and may never be, I can say the positivity on here as well as venting and remaining positive myself has eased the mess.

Brooks

WKR
My wife broke her femur a couple years ago and after surgery she said being dedicated to physical therapy made all the difference in the world in her recovery.

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
Find a doctor who prioritizes your future mobility more than the stabilization of the break itself. My doctor did not. I broke my tub/fib near my ankle and have never gained full mobility. That was over 10 years ago.

wyosteve

WKR
Similar-had an awkward mule dismount and snapped my femur in July of 2019. Surgery with a titanium rod. By Oct. I was back to the gym and by Dec. I was duck/pig hunting. You should be good to go by bear season if you don't overdo it and do the physical therapy diligently.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
Well saw the ortho this morning and they had already scheduled me for surgery tomorrow. I had time to look up the surgeon credentials and they are solid. He did his fellowship at OrthoCarolina which is where the Carolina Panthers go for surgery. (Hope that’s not why the played so bad lol). Also the surgery is less drastic than I thought it was going to be, they are going to do a “tightrope” surgery and then only one screw that is temporary to allow the area to heal. Surgery is only 30 minutes with just a boot and he said I might be able to drive in 2 weeks.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Bummer man. My advice is request PT and take it seriously. That fibula won't bother you much at all--they're not truly weight bearing so healing is pretty straightforward. The ankle dislocation will require some diligence and time. Tendons and ligaments are no joke.

I shattered my tib and fib 10 years ago. Ortho told me it would get back to 100% without PT. At the time I was super active with marathons and boxing and jiu-jitsu, so I believed him. Wish I didn't. PT would've helped speed the recovery and correct some imbalances and issues I'm still sorting out.

Bet you'll be back stronger than before. Esp if you're diligent with a good physical therapist.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
Bummer man. My advice is request PT and take it seriously. That fibula won't bother you much at all--they're not truly weight bearing so healing is pretty straightforward. The ankle dislocation will require some diligence and time. Tendons and ligaments are no joke.

I shattered my tib and fib 10 years ago. Ortho told me it would get back to 100% without PT. At the time I was super active with marathons and boxing and jiu-jitsu, so I believed him. Wish I didn't. PT would've helped speed the recovery and correct some imbalances and issues I'm still sorting out.

Bet you'll be back stronger than before. Esp if you're diligent with a good physical therapist.
Yeah they are trying to get me to start PT in 2 weeks with 2 to 3 sessions a week.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
Surgery went well, wasn’t even groggy when I woke up from the antheshia. Leg is numb right now from the nerve blocks so I’m sure the pain will start tonight or tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2E84CB7E-7DB8-4333-B634-1ED3AD6CA44E.jpeg
    2E84CB7E-7DB8-4333-B634-1ED3AD6CA44E.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 5