Broke to Buck

Lowg08

WKR
image.jpgSo I’ve been thinking today. I want to start a progression thread. On June 24th, 2022 I had an accident and broke my fibula in two places and tibia in one place and dislocated my ankle. Today June 30th, 2022 I had surgery to pin the fibula and put a plate and 4 screws to repair the damage. It is now ten weeks til opening of archery here in western NC. I’m going to start this thread not for sympathy or any of the above. I want to do this so maybe later if someone needs encouragement after an accident to not stop planning.

I started sighting In my new hunting bow on June 29th, 2022. Im going to give planning updates and what I’m doing within doctors orders and task I can perform while not disobeying the doctors orders. As of now. I can not shoot for a few days BUT I can e-scout the places I’m wanting to look at. Good friends have already been helping me figure it out. I have a planned glassing trip for later this July. My goal for this thread is to show not to ever give up or get depressed due to the situation. This will be a story of a broken ankle to hopefully killing a buck I’ve chased for going on 2 years
BEED68B9-3D82-49DA-929E-ADDA0A5512CC.jpeg

Attachments

• 2EA9FDA8-2ECC-4F44-9A8B-425E5DB05388.jpeg
    2EA9FDA8-2ECC-4F44-9A8B-425E5DB05388.jpeg
    489.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 74DF20DE-BECF-49D3-AB42-CD6A4E7BF244.jpeg
    74DF20DE-BECF-49D3-AB42-CD6A4E7BF244.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I understand your situation. My father in law had a similar break back in November of 19. He was 60 at the time and also felt sorry for himself about it. A lot of anxiety crept in for him concerning it which lead to a longer recovery time. Keep getting after it, no reason why you can't be hunting at some point this fall.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Thanks. I’ve been led to believe I’ll be good by opening weekend of archery. Just have to follow instructions. I will follow but I feel like I can prep and be ready for season during my recovery. Honestly it helped my mental state shooting my bow and working on my pack. I felt really good afterwards.

AMonroe

FNG
Wow! Good stuff! This is the stuff that keeps me honest when I don’t want to walk a few miles to setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Wow! Good stuff! This is the stuff that keeps me honest when I don’t want to walk a few miles to setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just thought it might help folks out. I will admit. I’m having a tougher day today. I was wanting to use a knee scooter to shoot a 3d tomorrow but I’m not going to be able too. I will say though. I have been taking time to e scout and actually study specs on clothes and gear. I just hope that once this hiccup is over someone might be able to look back and see it’s not an end to the start of a season.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea-glad to see your positive attitude about your situation. Even if you can't work on your physical fitness right now you can work on your mental focus-which is what it sounds like you are doing. Way to go!

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve been really trying not to get down. I have been tinkering with my bow though. I’m so active that it’s probably the Lords way to slow me down. I have started reading a new book and studying topo maps. Looks like I’ll be going glassing in Kentucky end of July. I believe if I can work on my shooting from a seated position I should be better once I have my feet under me.

TSAMP

WKR
I like it. Keep after it. Stay off Google. Listen to your body and your doctor.
Keep getting outside. Even if it's just to eyeball your target or yell at neighbor kids to get off your lawn.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’m following the docs directions for sure. I’m just having to start boot research for my ankle now. I had moved into trail runners but I’m having to look into something different. I am having a weird time I can feel the plate in my ankle just can’t see it yet. I’m loving shooting my bow so far. I’ll definitely be ready for season. Maybe a touch slower

Yoder

WKR
I had foot surgery a couple years ago and I bought this IWalk peg leg looking contraption. It is awesome. I was able to get around much better and even did a little light scouting for deer.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I have a all terrain scooter that just came in last night. I’m kinda fouled right now between no weight in it and in compression socks til the 15. I hoping to shoot the bow hunter jamboree in august but I’m not sure.

Gen273

WKR
Not the exact situation, but in 2019 I was in an accident that broke all of my ribs except two, broke my sternum, punctured my lung, and broke my foot. I really wasn't sure if I would ever get to bow hunt again. However, I pressed on, went to a lighter poundage bow, and killed a deer with it eight months after the accident. Now, 3.5 years later, I am pretty much 100 percent. Don't give up; push to recover, and you will be hunting before you know it.

GO,GO,GO JUST REMEBER THAT PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY. A few years back broke two bones in the top of my foot doc. put it in a boot and said no big walking for at least two weeks, went back for a follow up he looked at me and said what the hell happened to the boot ( it was in pretty bad shape) told him I have things to do and cannot be sitting on my ass, he put on a new boot and told me to let him know when it needed replaced.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
GO,GO,GO JUST REMEBER THAT PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY. A few years back broke two bones in the top of my foot doc. put it in a boot and said no big walking for at least two weeks, went back for a follow up he looked at me and said what the hell happened to the boot ( it was in pretty bad shape) told him I have things to do and cannot be sitting on my ass, he put on a new boot and told me to let him know when it needed replaced.
If I hadn’t had the hardwood be on the move. If the pain keeps laying low like it has so far today I’m going to go out and shoot my bow for a bit. If I can I’m going to start rummaging through all my hunting gear that just lays here and get rid of it.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
So I defeated a little cabin fever. Got out and worked on my 20 pin a bit more. Tried the all terrain scooter lol

Attachments

• E04ED8A1-241F-423D-B8CB-D72707A079F6.jpeg
    E04ED8A1-241F-423D-B8CB-D72707A079F6.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 43

TSAMP

WKR
Not gonna lie I thought the tires would be more aggressive. Those aren't even 10 ply

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Not gonna lie I thought the tires would be more aggressive. Those aren't even 10 ply
Well. I was hoping for a little more grip but they are better than the slick hard plastic ones I had to choose from lol

Last edited:
I’d be taking it easy. You dont want to screw up an ankle fracture-dislocation. You will get bad arthritis if things don’t stay lined up. Don’t fall on it, don’t put weight until they tell you to. A few months of boredom beats a lifetime of chronic ankle pain and mobility issues.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I haven’t been doing anything that puts weight on it. Using my crutches and scooter. I get up to go to the bathroom/shower or if I feel good enough about 6-12 arrows. My son does all the settings up. Just brings me the arrows and bows.

GotDraw?

WKR
keep that positive attitude going!
It ain't cancer and now all you need is the grit to stick to your rehab and excercise.
Chin up and chest out!
JL