Broken binos

Pgohil

WKR
Had a pair of Cabela's 10x42's they have served me well. Daughter dropped them on the back porch. Now the right side doesn't adjust... Any chance of a repair?

Cabela's sure won't touch them since their LIFETIME warranty is crap now.

Thanks

PGohil
WV

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Lifetime warranty? And cabelas won't help you out? I was a huge Cabelas customer for years, don't really buy from them anymore, but their customer service was always top notch. I'm surprised it's went that far downhill.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Yeah, their lifetime warranty went down the toilet when Bass pro bought them out. horrible thing that they wouldn't grandfather in purchases made before that date. But it is what it is. I just like to figure out a way to see if I could repair these or send them off and have them repaired for a price that makes it worth it. This is usually the pair I leave on the dash of my truck year-round.

Matt G.

WKR
Which cabelas bino's were they. If they were the Euro's I would call Meopta. I think they would take care of you.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Sure wish they were the metopas, but they are not. Just the regular Cabela's generic brand. They've served me very well, and I enjoy them. I believe they were in a $300 range when I bought them.

Matt G.

WKR
That is a shame. I really liked their Alaskan Guide line but i don't know who made them, but they were manufacturers in Japan if i remember right.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Cabela's after the merger with BPS sadly went way downhill.
BPS was, and continues to be, the Walmart of the outdoor big box stores.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
How would I figure out who the actual manufacturer was?

tdhanses

WKR
Sounds like a good time to upgrade and learn the lesson on don’t buy a rebranded product.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
The reason Cabela's has the deals they do, is that the original manufacturer has nothing to do with warranty, or service. I'd talk to Suddarth Optical, sadly about the only real full service, independent, above competent optical repair service left. I'd bet there is a wait.

If the broken one is Japanese, there is a pretty good chance it is from Kamakura. However even if it was, the original OEM does not provide service, even IF you can figure who actually made it, which is pretty unlikely.

I’m currently going through this same scenario with Cabela’s on my 1st gen Euro HD 15x56s (Meopta B1). Right barrel stopped focusing. I sent them in and after 5 weeks they finally get back to me by email saying that since I don’t have the original proof of purchase they will give me a gift card for the lowest price these sold for which is $800, or half the original retail price. I tried to escalate as high up with customer service as i could asking them to stand behind their product and replace them with the gen 2 Euro HDs 15x56s ($1300) as an equivalent to the product and got denied. Now I have a $800 gift card to a company i don’t ever want to do business with again. Lesson learned.

tdhanses

WKR
I’m currently going through this same scenario with Cabela’s on my 1st gen Euro HD 15x56s (Meopta B1). Right barrel stopped focusing. I sent them in and after 5 weeks they finally get back to me by email saying that since I don’t have the original proof of purchase they will give me a gift card for the lowest price these sold for which is $800, or half the original retail price. I tried to escalate as high up with customer service as i could asking them to stand behind their product and replace them with the gen 2 Euro HDs 15x56s ($1300) as an equivalent to the product and got denied. Now I have a $800 gift card to a company i don’t ever want to do business with again. Lesson learned.
I wonder if meopta would of repaired it.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Well, nobody's fixing my set. I took them apart last night and now understand how binoculars work and put them in the trash where they belong

Just went through the same scenario with Cabelas. Lifetime warranty on my 18yr. old 12x50 binos. No receipt, no warranty.
Being a club member for 22 years I would think they'd want to take care of me. Guess not. They used to have top notch customer service, great bargain cave etc. They're a joke now.

I'll have to call them next week. I'll update once I talk to them.
I called Meopta USA Today and they were so great to deal with. I told them I had Cabela’s branded B1s and they said they could review them for repair or replacement. They took down my email and within about an hour I received an email requesting the serial number of my binos to issue me a return #. They will send them to their repair department for review but the only problem is that it’s in the Czech Republic and takes 10-12 weeks turnaround for repair. It sounds like they will repair them or replace with the latest model according to the US Rep. Now I just need Cabela’s to return them back to me. Anyone have experience with sending Meopta binos for repair?