Broken collarbone, how long to shoot?

My teenage son broke his collarbone messing around on a mini 4wheeler. Left collarbone and he shoots left handed. How long til he can shoot a rifle? Can he go right handed sooner? Hopefully he can hunt by Thanksgiving

Jimbob

WKR
Did he get surgery? it can drastically help healing, look into it.

My daughter broke hers in the spring and she was not ready for soccer till 7 weeks.

Htm84

WKR
I feel his pain. I broke mine a month ago. No surgery for me just a lot of sitting in a chair. I’m right handed and broke my right side. Mines almost healed, but i wouldn’t shoot right handed yet. Left handed would be fine for me. Best of luck to you guys.

OP
wildwilderness
No surgery, seems to be a simple fracture. Hopefully it’s a quick recovery.

For those who have had this injury, would shooting a pistol be less of a risk?
My son is actually right handed but left eye dominant so shooting rh pistols is easy. I have a friend with a 6 dasher comp “pistol” with suppressor that would work well on deer....

Last edited:

Htm84

WKR
P
No surgery, seems to be a simple fracture. Hopefully it’s a quick recovery.

For those who have had this injury, would shooting a pistol be less of a risk?
My son is actually right handed but left eye dominant so shooting rh pistols is easy. I have a friend with a 6 dasher comp “pistol” with suppressor that would work well on deer....

I wouldn’t do anything for 3-4weeks or so. Then just kinda play it by ear. I could shoot a pistol right now, but I still have a limited range of motion. From what I read the younger you are the quicker it heals.