Broken Country

Good Morning!

My wife and I have picked the unit we are going to apply for but I have some questions about terrain. I know antelope prefer open flat terrain but this unit has quite a bit of broken hilly topography. Is it worth hunting those areas or should we concentrate on the flat ground?

Thanks in advance!

jmakar09

FNG
How big/steep are the hills? I’ve seen antelope in fields with pretty big rolling hills and sage brush but never in areas with steep drop offs and trees, basically places where cows pasture. They use their eyesight and speed to stay away from predators.

OP
E
How big/steep are the hills? I’ve seen antelope in fields with pretty big rolling hills and sage brush but never in areas with steep drop offs and trees, basically places where cows pasture. They use their eyesight and speed to stay away from predators.
It looks like rolling hills but not much elevation. We want to get away from as many people as possible but don't want to walk ourselves out of antelope habitat.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I would try to scout the spot in the summer before season if possible. If you can't scout, when the hunt starts you'll know within a half a day whether antelope are there just by glassing and walking a bit. If you're not seeing them, move on. To more directly answer your question, antelope will certainly hang out in rolling hills.

OP
E
I would try to scout the spot in the summer before season if possible. If you can't scout, when the hunt starts you'll know within a half a day whether antelope are there just by glassing and walking a bit. If you're not seeing them, move on. To more directly answer your question, antelope will certainly hang out in rolling hills.
Good deal, we are both in pretty good shape, so we figured we might be able to put together some pretty fun hikes if nothing else.

Antelope are where you find them, same as deer. I personally wouldn't over look the steeper terrain. They may not be hanging out mid cliff but they will be around in the surrounding pocketed areas. I've seen antelope in 9000ft alpine areas all the way down to the valleys and lowlands. To me what you describe would be an ideal antelope hunt. I like to have some topography mixed with a little cover. After all its Wyoming, go with a positive mindset and with fun at the top of the list and I'm sure you'll do just fine and have a blast while doing so.

OP
E
Antelope are where you find them, same as deer. I personally wouldn't over look the steeper terrain. They may not be hanging out mid cliff but they will be around in the surrounding pocketed areas. I've seen antelope in 9000ft alpine areas all the way down to the valleys and lowlands. To me what you describe would be an ideal antelope hunt. I like to have some topography mixed with a little cover. After all its Wyoming, go with a positive mindset and with fun at the top of the list and I'm sure you'll do just fine and have a blast while doing so.
Awesome, yeah we are looking forward to it. The planning is pretty daunting but I think the trip is going to be epic.

Mt Al

WKR
Broken/hilly is where I go and find them for the most part. You see them on the flats for sure, but my favorite places that always produce antelope and have few people are hills, draws and bluffs with few if any trees. I have seen them in the in trees, but just inside the trees and only when there's open country right nearby.

Sounds like a great hunt and you'll see them for sure.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04